Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chicken Chaser
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scrounging around looking at cheap properties, and evaluating what I could get for what little I have (I refuse to go into debt for anything) when I found this:
http://www.colohomestead.com/re/town_of_gulnare_for_sale-o444-en.html

A realty company is selling an entire, established town. I tried to do a short bit of web sleuthing to find just what caused the town to collapse, but couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Here's the map:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Gulnare&state=CO

The town is Gulnare, CO, in southern Colorado. It's about 27 acres, and is going for 300k. Thing's got grid power, septic, 2 wells, phone lines, a brick schoolhouse, a store, a few outbuildings, a fenced meadow, pine woods...

It occurred to me to ask if anybody's thought this one out? It's hard to get around the fact that SOMETHING shut this town down (maybe just people got tired of trying to make it work and moved off, dunno) But, would this or something like this be viable? Say...purchase the town, subdivide it and sell lots cheap, invite prepper families to join the community (one with the infrastructure already in place, for the most part) form a city council, add a bylaw that residents must have a year's worth of food minimum per head after a period of a year from when they moved in. You'd have an entire village of like minded individuals that you could be sure wouldn't go zombie on you if TSHTF. The community then can mutually aid and defend its members, rip up a few roads with a backhoe, and ride out the storm from all but the bigger MZB gangs, barring an organized military force or fallout.

I think the biggest problem would be keeping the word from getting out that it was a survivalist-oriented community. Either the gummint would think they had another Waco on in the making, or locals would get wind of it and head there straightaway in an emergency. A lot of careful OPSEC planning would have to be in place, and the community would definitely have to police itself.

The town's even incorporated already...has a zipcode and everything. The pain of going through a municipal incorporation has been limited, if not eliminated.

Anyhow...it's all hypothetical anyway. And no...I have nothing to do with the company or (I know it looks fishy being my first post but I've lurked here for short while)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mining town were the mines closed, so most folks moved. Main parts of town are for sale because the mining company probably owned it all and when they went belly up or moved out they sold it as one lot.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
That looks awesome! I wonder if there's any liability to owning a town, like aspestos-related disease from the school or something. Or if you could somehow limit your liability. And if it was a mining town, did they properly seal the mines? It's an issue here in AZ.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
About 75 miles south of Pueblo, Colorado. Nearest surviving town is Aguilar, about 10 miles away is where the kids of the remaining families attend school.

Elevation 7000'. Might be chilly in the winters, and a bit nippy in the spring and fall. But they say you may have to stop on the highway into town to allow the elk and mule deer to clear the highway before you can continue.

Sounds like my kind of place, but i doubt I could get my wife to agree to it.

Reactions: Summer

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
Incorporated in the late 1800's, and the picture of the stone school building (assuming that is what it is) looks to be pretty old. Not putting it down, but things may need a little upkeep or rebuilding. Two wells and septic in place, would be a great place to start a new family homestead with built in history lessons.

Reactions: Summer

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
That place is going to be the depths of nowhere.

It will be a self sufficiency person's dream come true, especially when they run out of gas. I can see the tumbleweed when I shut my eyes.

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
better check out the town's financial history. Could be it is on the hook for a gadzillion bucks in Bond issues. However the basic premise of a prepper communty is sound. The only drawback may be a lack of paying jobs within commuting distance. Again the idea of like minded people in a community is very intriging.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Personally, I would do a heckuva lot of research on this town, before I even considered making this purchase. Realty agents work for the SELLER......not the potential buyer.

If it sounds too good to be true.......etc.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
It's just a couple of buildings. I bet if you looked at the county register, you'd see it's now county property and no longer an incorporated town. Probably hasn't been for decades.

I'm in a fast growing part of NC. There are plenty of "towns" that are now "areas" as they've been scooped up by other towns in the building boom / migration.

Anyway. The buildings all need a tremendous amount of work.
Prepperland? Yeah sure. Where will everyone work?
Sadly, even on a site like this, most people will be dead in the water if they lose their jobs for even a few weeks. Most folks already have the ring through their noses.

Doesn't look like anything will grow there anyway.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Add a really good internet connection and we could all make a living doing affiliate marketing and putting Prepping, and self sufficiency videos on youtube.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
You would need to do a lot of research regarding the legal aspects of "owning" an incorporated town and the ability of an outside group to move in and take over the town by overwhelming the property owners by out voting them. Requiring all new property owners to maintain one years worth of food and supplies sounds good, but would easily contested in court. I remember a Yogi and his cult moving into a compound near a small Oregon town and overturning the apple cart where the town lost control of their finances and ability to protect itself from the cult members who took over all of the elected positions and passed new laws. The only protection would be to own or financially control all of the land and housing available and avoid the democratic process. Unless you started with a large group of willing and secure participants who had resources available, I would look for a remote farm or ranch and avoid all the trouble you would be asking for.

·
Chicken Chaser
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...It's those big three problems with it that would make me back off.

It's SOOO damned close to Pueblo
What's the catch, legally?
What's the catch, financially? (and how much is it going to cost in time/$$$ to find out)

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
wonder how much additional land around it might be for sale as well.... 27 acres is not quite enough, but it is not a bad idea.

We could do it, but it would make me single again ...Sharon is not going to go for it...(lol)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts