Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Adventurer
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BOB's everywhere you look its BOB's.....

Its as if everyone is preparing to run out the front door to the nearest patch of woods as soon as anything major happens.

I often wonder why people don't focus more energy on Bugging in.... seems more logical.

I get it, its good to have a BOB in case you are faced with the need to bail but why not just make your vehicle trunk bag double as your BOB? (thats what I do)

On youtube, the focus on BOB's is extreme, while food prep and other more practical things are not so prevalent.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I would suppose it has more to do with where you live. For, well a really rather long time, I have carried what I call my "jump kit". Have been with my wife for 27 years. At first she thought I was loopy (just, kidding, she still does), but for a while now she also has carried a kit.

Many folks are terrified (too strong of a word?) of societal collapse and do not feel where they live is tenable. So, they prepare for a quick exodus should things get bad. I do not disagree with this thought process.

As far as my experiences go, talking with people, most people; that bag will not help them. They do not know how to use anything in it and they have way too much stuff in there.

I personally have never watched a YouTube video on such, unless you count checking out a few flint knappers and watching their technique - they usually have a small bag with their knapping tools.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I think a majority of the population who consider prepping/survival live in cities.

Knowing that the best chance of survival is to exit the city, they focus on packing a bag...

What to bring? What must be left behind? There's only so much a person can carry and the gas in the vehicle is going to run out somewhere along the line.

Heck, there are lots of people living in cities without a car. So they will only get as far as public transportation can take them.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
You can only pull so many weeds out of the garden before you need something else to occupy your time.

We call stuff like fixing cars and putting together BOBs, winter projects. Something useful to do and keep your mind occupied when it's cold and dark.

It's like most anything you do. You can't leave it alone and are always tweaking it. So sometimes is sounds like people are constantly making one, when they are just replacing items here and there.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,233 Posts
It's better to think in advance about what you might need to take with you in an emergency, than to scramble to put together a kit when you are running out of time due to a catastrophe.

If you plan to bug in rather than bug out, make sure you have what you need so you can lock yourself in and survive the duration.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,662 Posts
I *am* prepped to bug in, well-prepped. But I have a BOB for at least two reasons.

One is, if I'm forced to leave in a hurry, I need everything all together in one place so I can grab and scoot. My "BOB" is actually a pack (about 40 pounds or so), plus a couple of small duffel bags with clothing, one each for my wife and I. I also have a food crate I hope we can grab, as well as some extra MREs. I have bottled water, gas in jerry cans, chain saw--if I had to bug out in 10 minutes, I think with my wife's help I can get all that in the van and more.

The whole point is that you don't know what or when you might be force to leave at a moment's notice.

The other use to which I put my BOB is when we go on trips. It gets tossed into the vehicle as a resource we could rely upon if needed. I have car kits in the vehicles already, but the BOB is more comprehensive as well as adding more to the capabilities already in the car kits.

A lot of people think this way. Those who don't, had better hope bugging in is all they ever need to do.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I have a BOB because I can't pack my house into my truck, nor on my back.

Bug in is option 1 for impending or occurring doom.

Pack things up and make a strategic move to another location is option 2, if the impending doom suggests or dictates that as the better way to go.

Grab my BOB and get out the door NOW is for emergencies, not for the other things.:thumb:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a GHB that is designed to get me home from any reasonable distance. I bring more if i'm going farther away. If I can't survive where I'm at, then we are all probably borked anyway, so bugging out isn't something I'd do anyway.

·
old gunsel
513 Posts
My wife had to evacuate the house when the fires came too close in San Diego, my aunt in Ogden, UT has a fire just a little way from her house right now, another aunt is in Montana, no explanation needed, cousins and friends in Texas, a friend in Oregon keeping track of the Multnomah fire...

Yes the trunk can be used as a Bug Out Accessory, but sometimes there are groceries or band instruments, luggage or other things that need more room than the Bug Out Trunk allow.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
I have a GHB that is designed to get me home from any reasonable distance. I bring more if i'm going farther away. If I can't survive where I'm at, then we are all probably borked anyway, so bugging out isn't something I'd do anyway.
I have a "survival bag" in my BOV that should get me by for at least four days, with food, hammock, bivy bag, tarps for a tent, water filter and much more, it weighs just under 10 pounds. Couple that with my canteen/cup/fire ring in a belt pack and I'm good to go for almost any situation that I can foresee having to get home or back to civilization.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Its as if everyone is preparing to run out the front door to the nearest patch of woods as soon as anything major happens.

I often wonder why people don't focus more energy on Bugging in.... seems more logical.

I get it, its good to have a BOB in case you are faced with the need to bail but why not just make your vehicle trunk bag double as your BOB? (thats what I do)

On youtube, the focus on BOB's is extreme, while food prep and other more practical things are not so prevalent.
Where do you live? What are your resources and skills? How's your health?

Perspective, The president of the United States of America ���� bugged out of his house on 9/11.

Are you better prepared than that?

I know people in Houston were only allowed their cell phones during rescues to maximize lives that could be in a boat. A BOB would have been a welcome luxury to them.

If you decide not to have a BOB, that's a risk/reward that you get to own. Good luck

·
Possum Lover
15,606 Posts
Well, I almost flooded last week.

I couldn't see staying in (possible) feet of stagnant, nasty, water full of fire ants. I couldn't see subjecting my cats and husband to it, either.

However, in my case no way to get out, if we had flooded, which we didn't.

But I had a bag packed with important papers. Make sure you have a waterproof storage for your important papers.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I posted a similar reply earlier today in another thread but here we go.

whatever you want to call the bag, is generally a main focal point because its easy to have around you generally most of the time.

its not alwayse to flee for the hills because the zombie apocalypse has happened, it can be good in the event say your house catches fire and you have at least the basics to keep trucking while you pick up the pieces.

or maybe your like me and got in a bad wreck in a winter storm and have to shelter in place for a few hours or more you have the essential equipment with you to help you deal with whatever contingencies life throws your way.

Do I feel some people go a bit overboard on the militant paranoia, yes I do. But the fact remains that its a very practical low cost item that you can have multiples of, car home near doors ect, repack occasaionally for the seasons.
mine gets used a lot just on overnight and weekend trips to go fishing in the mountians because theres a whole lot of overlap but if say I got stuck there for a few days while in the mountians id be good to go.

another example happening now there 140 hikers trapped between 2 wildfires in the western states getting guided out 15 mile hike at night, if you were driving and got cought in that crap having a bag of the essentials to hoof it because you have to leave the car could also be the difference between seeing your family or being BBQ

·
Originalist
1,234 Posts
I think there are a handful of reasons there is so much focus on it.

First, I think there is a bit of allure and fantasy that goes along with the BOB. Many people have this vision of an exodus, people living a Mad Max or Walking Dead vision of the end of the world as we know it, where people are living off of what they have on their back. It's a fascinating concept.

Another reason is because it's attainable. Almost anyone can afford to pack up a bug out bag. Sure, some people may be carry around $2000 fully equip BOBs with feather light allow everything, advanced communication equipment, and weapons, but most can afford to make an economy version of the BOB. For most people it much more affordable, less work, takes up less storage and perhaps even more interesting than bags of rice, beans, and canned meat to last for long periods of time. So, BOB is basically extremely accessible by almost anyone, and you really don't have to put a tremendous amount of money or effort into it.

In addition there is the entertainment value of it. Most people that are on forums like this are here to learn, teach, share, brag, converse or argue. With so many variations of BOB, coupled with the accessibility of them, it provides for endless conversations about this or that nuance of them and what they should chose, why they made their choice, why you should make this choice, why you made a bad choice, why are there so many choices, etc.

I also believe there are some really practical reasons for it. As I mentioned, it extremely accessible. The fact that it can be low cost, doesn't require a lot of space, doesn't require a ton of effort, and it interesting to learn about, well, why not do it? While I don't agree with the poster above, that an exodus from the city is the best approach to survival for those in urban environments, and I actually think bugging out is a last resort, I still believe a BOB can be a very practical item to have. Whether it's bugging out, getting home, or keeping you warm and alive if you go off the road in a blizzard, for what can be a low investment in time, effort and cost, why not?

·
Adventurer
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where do you live? What are your resources and skills? How's your health?

Perspective, The president of the United States of America ���� bugged out of his house on 9/11.

Are you better prepared than that?

I know people in Houston were only allowed their cell phones during rescues to maximize lives that could be in a boat. A BOB would have been a welcome luxury to them.

If you decide not to have a BOB, that's a risk/reward that you get to own. Good luck
I have 2 BOB's, One in my car and one in my wife's car. I understand why we have them I just don't get why 80% of the focus on prepping is about BOB's.

The first thing newbies are going to focus on is a BOB... Which I guess is better than nothing but its not the right first step IMO.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts

Just ask all the people living in the shelters or with other people due to Harvey. Or you might ask all those that may be affected by Irma. Or maybe those in Montana and Oregon that are threatened by wildfires. I think people get caught up ion semantics fr too easily BOB, GOOD, GHB, or just Emergency supplies, it all can serve a similar purpose depending on the situation, Keep essentials, copies of important documents, a little extra cash, a change of clothes or two(Something many did not have in Houston area), a little food to get you by. Yes we can all learn from those that would love to have one after a disaster.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts