Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many remote lodges will be closed to the general public this summer because of the "Pandemic", why not lease a entire lodge and move relatives and family into the cabins.

Or simply rent or lease someone's remote hunting camp or fishing camp...??? Or remote recreational cabin....??

Sure most can't afford this, but many can, hell many just lost millions, and some maybe billions of dollars. Even those with modest assets could rent some quality of remote cabin. If your going to quarantine for the next six months, why not do it at a "World Class Fishing Lodge".

I am surprised this has not been widely considered.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
Sure most can't afford this...

I am surprised this has not been widely considered.
Answered your own question.

That aside:

I've told people not to bother coming to my place, so lo ng as the power stays on they can do just as well staying in their own homes/keeping other people out their yard. (No need to go "hide in the woods" unless you like it here.)

And most of those people living in apartments etc are the ones who "can't"

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Answered your own question.

That aside:

I've told people not to bother coming to my place, so lo ng as the power stays on they can do just as well staying in their own homes/keeping other people out their yard. (No need to go "hide in the woods" unless you like it here.)

And most of those people living in apartments etc are the ones who "can't"
I just assume people would be more interested in avoiding catching the virus then quarantining in the city "After" they done got it, for two or three times.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We aren’t running off into the wilderness because we would be Just as happy at home. Heck we even have a swimming pool, if this thing traps us at home through the summer 🙂

I’m still going back and forth about even trying to avoid this, though. I am on immunosuppressive therapy, so am at risk. Luckily I’m not old, though. But I’m wondering, if it’s more contagious than the flu and it’s inevitable that I get it, maybe it’s better to get it now while the hospital can give me the best care? I really don’t know. Either way, even if I stay home now the kids are still in school, until it’s canceled...

·
Republic of Texas
1,237 Posts
So I run a fairly large frugal lifestyle blog. One of my bigger posts is about living in an extended stay hotel.

The past week that post has been steadily gaining traffic over its normal amount. It does pretty decently anyhow, but this week has been spiking.

People are considering it. They're just not looking at cabins.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I run a fairly large frugal lifestyle blog. One of my bigger posts is about living in an extended stay hotel.

The past week that post has been steadily gaining traffic over its normal amount. It does pretty decently anyhow, but this week has been spiking.

People are considering it. They're just not looking at cabins.
To me the whole GOAL would be to have zero contact with another human. I don't see any advantage to being in a hotel with other humans.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why wouldn't they just stay in their own home And not catch it?
No added expense?
Their own internet, chest freezer, bunny slippers etc.
I think most simply can't stay confined like that. They will allow friends and family in.

Another reason is there will be no rioting and mass destruction at a remote wilderness cabin.

Another is there would be abundant fish for the eating.

I think that without armed guards that shoot anyone who leaves their home.......this whole quarantine in your home will be a failure.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I think most simply can't stay confined like that. They will allow friends and family in.
Likely. But thrusting wherever.

Milinials might actually be better off here as "facetime" or online gaming will be enough for them.

Another reason is there will be no rioting and mass destruction at a remote wilderness cabin.
unlikely to be in my buddies golf course neighborhood either.
Like I said.... For those of us who like to live out here....

But for the rest it's not enough mitigation difference to be worth doing.

Another is there would be abundant fish for the eating.
(Granted I'm rural) but I have a fairly large stocked pond and another I need to stock.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
Why wouldn't they just stay in their own home And not catch it?
No added expense?
Their own internet, chest freezer, bunny slippers etc.
Exactly.

I just moved. I had over 20 tons of HH goods. Would take weeks to move it again.

Most people are going to suffer significant loss of income or other huge problems. Moving your home is a huge expense, massive time investment, and would INCREASE your exposure. And you'd be "giving up" anything you leave behind to looters.

I just moved. It took massive amounts of effort. Two teams of people and many days, and renting vehicles.

Say it will cost $20,000 extra to move, and pay expenses on 2 homes.

Would make more sense to just eat $20k and lock your front door to the outside world for a few months and see what happens.

I can just stay home, live off my pantry, and other than a possible work interruption there's no added cost.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will they provide someone to come to our farm and feed our horses and cattle?
I am NOT suggesting this is appropriate for everyone to consider.

I think most people feel they can tough it out for a few weeks or maybe a month.

I just don't see most toughing it out for six months or longer. The center of this in China has been quarantined for months. And likely will continue to be quarantined.

What we have seen is as soon as quarantine order was suspected, people escape. In theory five million escaped quarantine in China.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

I think most people feel they can tough it out for a few weeks or maybe a month.

I just don't see most toughing it out for six months or longer. The center of this in China has been quarantined for months. And likely will continue to be quarantined.

What we have seen is as soon as quarantine order was suspected, people escape. In theory five million escaped in China.

So, is that a no on the farm hand?

·
Banned
34,722 Posts

What we have seen is as soon as quarantine order was suspected, people escape. In theory five million escaped quarantine in China.
Most couldn't PARTICULARLY if they went to some cabin and left their deep freeze at home.

Too say nothing of any raised beds, berry bushes, fruit trees.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Plus moving how long will it take to find a cabin?, pay for it?, and move in a few months? Plus check all the environment, rainfall, need solar, what kind of animals and bugs, if you have criminals next door? plus more? Too late, should have thought about this a very long time ago. in my own opinion.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, is that a no on the farm hand?
Your choice.......you can stay with you animals. If you feel that is safer. Me I figure having zero contact with humans is the safest.

Everyone want to talk about what they feel is best for them (Including me) but my point is people May be making flawed assumptions as to had long this will last and how long they can really stay cooped up in their homes.

Clearly everyone on this forum is ready for one or two years lock'down. But there might be some people not on this forum who only have four or six months of food. I just don't want to be around those people how only have six months food, when they get hungry.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most couldn't PARTICULARLY if they went to some cabin and left their deep freeze at home.

Too say nothing of any raised beds, berry bushes, fruit trees.....
I did not know that "ALL" the people in LA and New York City had all that in their yards......:D::):D::)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts