Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I predicted the shortages, spot on as they are predictable as Hell, but the one thing I was wrong on was the gloves aren't going fast. It's safer and easier to don latex or nitrile gloves and then wash one's hand. In MANY fields we wear gloves regularly. Simple use saves a lot of hand sanitzer.

Why hasn't the general public caught on?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,614 Posts
I predicted the shortages, spot on as they are predictable as Hell, but the one thing I was wrong on was the gloves aren't going fast. It's safer and easier to don latex or nitrile gloves and then wash one's hand. In MANY fields we wear gloves regularly. Simple use saves a lot of hand sanitzer.

I have about 6 boxes of 100 to a box but the problem is down here in Florida the humidity makes it unbearable to wear them for any length of time. In 2 minutes they are soaked on the inside from sweat and yo have to empty them. I use them to work on my truck and my wife uses them to clean the bathrooms.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,822 Posts
The reason for the run on toilet paper is because one of the symptoms you get is diarrhea. You don't get diarrhea with the flu. Which makes me wonder if that flu and stomach virus my mom had wasn't the Caronavirus instead.

I understand there are 2 different strains out there and 1 is worse than the other. So if she got it it was the lesser strain because it was mild for her whatever it was and she's ok now.

She's 79, has diabetes, Congestive heart failure and has a pacemaker.

Reactions: Ghost863 and Fonz

·
Paleoconservative
1,205 Posts
I've got plenty stocked up here, but Ghost is 100% on the money about wearin them in Fl unless its Jan or you're in the A/c.

I've been watching the foam/paper plates, plasticware and trashbags and noone is buying them either which I thought people would, especially with kids out of school and home all day. Wrong on that one too.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,132 Posts
I have a stock of about 200 gloves. I only use them when in public now and I'm now mostly hunkered down at home. It hasn't been too uncomfortable just yet. I spray them down with 91% alcohol when using them in public to transfer less stuff to my vehicle and also disinfect them when I'm ready to take them off. So far I've been re-using them if my contact was minimal on an outing. The 91% alcohol is a solvent and it does make the gloves a little sticky until the alcohol evaporates. Deep cleaning LOL!.

I also have some n95's and some non rated dust masks but I've not started wearing them in public because I have a limited supply and also I only venture out when others are not out in the spaces that I want to be in. When I sense that it's too risky to be around others I won't be around others. I'm in a part of Florida with community spread so I'll have to scale up my PPE use soon if I have no choice but to be around others and the spaces they inhabit.

·
Registered
12,642 Posts
We bought gloves months ago just as regular preps and they had been on sale the same with masks all this long before this current event.
If you are waiting for the last minute to prepare, you need to step up your game.
I keep a significant supply of gloves in my shop for especially dirty jobs, and tougher gloves for working with steel. I also wear leather driving gloves driving the truck or car or motorcycle, for no other reason than they are a tool and using them is farther ahead than being in event that required them and not having them on. split seconds count.

·
9,614 Posts
I have a stock of about 200 gloves. I only use them when in public now and I'm now mostly hunkered down at home. It hasn't been too uncomfortable just yet. I spray them down with 91% alcohol when using them in public to transfer less stuff to my vehicle and also disinfect them when I'm ready to take them off. So far I've been re-using them if my contact was minimal on an outing. The 91% alcohol is a solvent and it does make the gloves a little sticky until the alcohol evaporates. Deep cleaning LOL!.

I also have some n95's and some non rated dust masks but I've not started wearing them in public because I have a limited supply and also I only venture out when others are not out in the spaces that I want to be in. When I sense that it's too risky to be around others I won't be around others. I'm in a part of Florida with community spread so I'll have to scale up my PPE use soon if I have no choice but to be around others and the spaces they inhabit.
as far as masks go I have surgical masks that I got when my grandchildren got the flu real bad in November but if it comes down to it I and my wife do have M10M Czech NBC masks with 8 sets of spare filters for each one. I do not think it will get that bad but you can never be too careful.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,070 Posts
...In 2 minutes they are soaked on the inside from sweat and yo have to empty them. I use them to work on my truck and my wife uses them to clean the bathrooms.
Use light cotton gloves as the first layer, condom gloves as the second layer, and Full Blown Plumbing Gloves as the final layer.:thumb:

Deal with how sticky/icky it gets until you can doff and decon.:upsidedown:

·
9,614 Posts
Use light cotton gloves as the first layer, condom gloves as the second layer, and Full Blown Plumbing Gloves as the final layer.:thumb:

Deal with how sticky/icky it gets until you can doff and decon.:upsidedown:
Thanks for the info, I will have to try that. I do know they help keep my hands much cleaner when I have to deal with a greasy engine (My wife doesn't bitch as much)

Reactions: Sprig

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,070 Posts
The reason for the run on toilet paper is because one of the symptoms you get is diarrhea...
LOL...:xeye::xeye::xeye:

My sister pointed it out me from a female logic point of view... and it sorta almost made sense.

There is only ONE(1) aisle for TP; usually only on one(1) side.:eek:

There are 20 aisles of food; with food on both sides of the aisle.:thumb:

I can not in any way out-shop my sister for dollar value; and I can not fault her logic.:confused:

·
Registered
9,487 Posts

Because the general public are morons. They are still fighting over toilet paper when they should be stocking food and emptying out their bank accounts.

The reason for the run on toilet paper is because one of the symptoms you get is diarrhea. You don't get diarrhea with the flu. Which makes me wonder if that flu and stomach virus my mom had wasn't the Caronavirus instead.
A rare symptom. Only 3%

I honestly don't understand the TP fixation of people.

·
9,614 Posts
I honestly don't understand the TP fixation of people.
If they put people on lockdown try being on lockdown with 3 females, and two of them are ages 6 and 7. That is why I stocked on TP, it has nothing to do with Diarrhea.

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Exam type gloves pierce and/or tear easily & wear out quickly = single use.

While I have 100's of latex & nitrile exam gloves, I also bought a whole bunch of dish washing gloves.
Simply because they are numerous times tougher & can be sanitized a huge amount of times.
No shortage of them either everywhere I looked.

·
Grevcon 10
13,360 Posts

Gloves are abundant. They're the one form of medical PPE that actually gets used on a regular basis, so there's a ton of them manufactured.

Now, for example, about half of hospitals didn't even use N95s/100s at all, and the ones that did used them WAY less than they should. So we had no domestic production. We just skimmed some off the Chinese market. The ones on the US market were primarily not medical branded ones and didn't come from a medical supplier, so hospitals weren't even allowed to buy them. Suddenly hospitals went from 0 to 10 boxes a month demand, to needing 200 boxes a week for this outbreak. At the same time, the general public market swallowed the small industrial use masks as well to put into service to protect from the virus.

Add to that, no more masks are coming because they're produced in China. Whereas we have gloves that are produced in the US due to a much larger demand.

·
Grevcon 10
13,360 Posts
The TP hoarding is most likely because if you do have to shelter in place for a month or more, you might use a lot more TP than you would if you were using public or work restrooms during the day.
The TP shortage is simple. Because the stores don't stock nearly as much TP as they do food. People are buying both, but the TP is running out faster, which actually moves it up the priority list for consumers.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
The TP shortage is simple. Because the stores don't stock nearly as much TP as they do food. People are buying both, but the TP is running out faster, which actually moves it up the priority list for consumers.
Seems very odd though, isn’t there a 1-1 relation between TP and Food?

·
Grevcon 10
13,360 Posts
Seems very odd though, isn’t there a 1-1 relation between TP and Food?
No. It's not like you have to use the exact same volume of TP as you consume in food. Most of the food doesn't actually make it out the other end, and... well at least I don't think most people use an equal volume of TP to stool. Crap, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Plus there's a lot more variety in food than TP. TP cycles through the store consistently at a regular rate so they stock exactly that much. Food tends to over-stock because sometimes people buy ramen instead of salmon, but you want both options available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts