Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I randomly ran across these 120mm ammo cans. These things are like 3 feet tall and about the width of a .50 caliber can! And cheap! I can't believe I lived without these. With free shipping promos, which are common, they can be had for around $20. This, when quality .50 cans are selling for $14-$18.

These big cans are absolutely awesome. Critical in my opinion for any prepper. These are perfect for storing large quantities of ammo, especially shotgun ammo. They can also easily fit 2 folding/collapsible stock rifles with plenty of room to spare. Can you think of a better container to seal and bury to hide a few toys from Hildabeast? They are also great for caches.

Of course they are heavy when filled, but 2,000 rounds is pretty much stationary no matter how you box it up. They can roughly fit 5x the round count of a standard .50 can.

The 120mm's are already getting harder to find, but the 81mm's (slightly smaller) are still aplenty. SG has them now for $22 and free shipping. You guys really should pick a few up. You will see why I'm excited.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-81mm-mortar-can-used?a=1913787

·
Swirl Herder
3,813 Posts
A few months ago I randomly ran across these 120mm ammo cans. These things are like 3 feet tall and about the width of a .50 caliber can! And cheap! I can't believe I lived without these. With free shipping promos, which are common, they can be had for around $20. This, when quality .50 cans are selling for $14-$18.

These big cans are absolutely awesome. Critical in my opinion for any prepper. These are perfect for storing large quantities of ammo, especially shotgun ammo. They can also easily fit 2 folding/collapsible stock rifles with plenty of room to spare. Can you think of a better container to seal and bury to hide a few toys from Hildabeast? They are also great for caches.

Of course they are heavy when filled, but 2,000 rounds is pretty much stationary no matter how you box it up. They can roughly fit 5x the round count of a standard .50 can.

The 120mm's are already getting harder to find, but the 81mm's (slightly smaller) are still aplenty. SG has them now for $22 and free shipping. You guys really should pick a few up. You will see why I'm excited.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-81mm-mortar-can-used?a=1913787
Fill it with loose 223 or 9mm and then lift it.

Even if you store your ammo at home, some day you may need to move it in a hurry. About then the disadvantages of big cans will become apparent.

Don't bury ammo cans (except maybe in a desert). They are not primed before painting and will rust very quickly if they get/stay moist.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,101 Posts

Even if you store your ammo at home, some day you may need to move it in a hurry. About then the disadvantages of big cans will become apparent.

Don't bury ammo cans (except maybe in a desert). They are not primed before painting and will rust very quickly if they get/stay moist.
I can confirm how hard it is to move large ammo cans when full.

I filled a 30mm can with lead shot and another with lead casting alloy in 5 lb ingots.

I also Burried four 120mm can and left them for eight yrs.

Ammo can survive surprisingly well in the very moist climate here despite my casual lack of preparation.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=567041&highlight=

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, they will be heavy. If you are going to have trouble moving a few 120mm cans full of ammo in a hurry, your going to have trouble moving 15 .50 cal. cans full in a hurry as well. These are stationary dry storage containers. Some of us who already have 25+ .30 and .50 cans filled, could use a few jumbo sized cans for bulk ammo, shotgun shells, ect.

These cans last VERY well in almost ANY climate. Of course they will rust, but the interior will remain intact for years. You should give them a heavy coat of durable paint beforehand. There are a number that come highly recommended. After that, they will last 15 years + no problem.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Bought one of these last month and they are very good quality. I have not filled it yet but weight would be an issue. More so a good cheap way to keep moisture from ammo.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My young kids are gonna have a hard enough time lifting 50-cal cans into the SUV when/if they have too. I actually downsized my stash to more 30-cal cans, so I can send my kids/wife down to bring one up when we go to the range without them having a hernia.

Something like this might work for magazine storage, especially poly mags.

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
Thanks for the tip and link. I had often thought of using these in addition to the .30 and .50 ammo cans of ammo. Never realized they were that cheap, especially the free shipping. Hadn't thought about them in a while as I could never find them locally and figured shipping would be killer. Just ordered 3 from Sportmans Guide for $66. Thanks again for the reminder!

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
A single 1,000 round case of .45 ACP weighs ~ 50 lbs ... a single large ammo can filled to the top with any caliber is an immovable object perfect for staying put.
This is very true. I don't intend to fill the ones I ordered with ammo so it shouldn't be an issue. A 50 cal can full of 45 is enough to move around.

Also, of the three I ordered from Sportsmans Guide, apparently only 2 were in stock.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I was given two very small Zero Halliburton suitcases a few years back. just the right size for a set of SCUBA weights. stupid people pick them up and assume they are full of gold. I unlock them and show the stupid people they are full of lead so the stupid people do not steal and destroy the nice little cases to get the non existent gold.

I have ammo cans all over my car hauler, which does in fact haul cars a couple times a year. one for tools and the solar panel for the winch batteries, two for tire baskets and web straps. 20, 30, and 40 MM cans work best. I am working on a writeup showing how I lock them up and lock them down.

·
Living Simple
992 Posts

I bought 4 of the 20mm ammo cans that hold 200 rounds of 20mm linked several years ago, and they hold 5000 rounds of 5.56. After filling one up, I realized that is ridiculously heavy, and I'm not a wuss either, 6'5" 280lbs with a very physical job. I since moved on to the ones that hold 32 cartridges of 40mm which will hold 2500 rounds of 5.56 and found it much more manageable.

Now, I'm not going anywhere, anytime, so for me I moved those heavy suckers to where they will stay and that's just where they will remain. However if someone is going to be wanting to move those around alot in a fairly quick fashion, have a dolly handy.

I would personally rather have some not quite as tall for ammo.

·
Here Another Day!
1,163 Posts

I heard roofing tar will fix that.

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A serious ammo stockpile is stationary, PERIOD. Last year I consolidated the ammo at my home, and the ammo from my BOL, just to inventory and rotate. It took me almost 2 HOURS just to get it all from the car, the basement, and into the living room. Anyone who is worried about container size for "speedy transportation", is a idiot, or has a very small stash.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
A serious ammo stockpile is stationary, PERIOD. Last year I consolidated the ammo at my home, and the ammo from my BOL, just to inventory and rotate. It took me almost 2 HOURS just to get it all from the car, the basement, and into the living room. Anyone who is worried about container size for "speedy transportation", is a idiot, or has a very small stash.
Wow. So impressive.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,102 Posts

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,137 Posts
There is a lot that can be stored in an ammo can besides ammo!

Food, water, guns (you could fit a broken down AR inside), web gear, spare parts, tools, the contents of a BOB, basically anything. I appreciate this thread and I'm posting so that I can find it again because i'm going to get me one when I have some spare cash.

I have no doubt that if properly prepared and buried it would last years if not decades.

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
Mine came in the mail. I put all of my powder in them for safe storage. Keeps it dry and acts as a powder magazine.

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
I don't believe that is a safe practice. Pretty much every powder manual to include the ABC's of Reloading recommends against storing powder in ammo cans.
Thanks for the heads up!! Never read that in my manuals, but just read through SAAMI recommendations for storing powder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts