Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a dumb guy, but I've thought through the Matches Vs. Lighter very thoroughly and I cannot come up with one instance that I'd rather have a bunch of matches instead of a lighter.

Yeah, they could break, but you could easily carry more than one with no substantial weight or space inhibitions.

Yeah, they don't light if they're wet, but they dry out and light again. Keep 'em in a ziplock bag, and there's no problems.

Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
184 Posts
try a search- this HAS been covered before - cant remember where though

the one downside of a lighter is that perhaps if it gets damaged and catches on fire its going to cause a LOT more damage than a bunch of matches.
specially if its in your pocket etc

as Leif said why not carry both. Matches could serve more than 1 purpose too, so thats a + for matches.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I'm not a dumb guy, but I've thought through the Matches Vs. Lighter very thoroughly and I cannot come up with one instance that I'd rather have a bunch of matches instead of a lighter.

Yeah, they could break, but you could easily carry more than one with no substantial weight or space inhibitions.

Yeah, they don't light if they're wet, but they dry out and light again. Keep 'em in a ziplock bag, and there's no problems.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Never depend on sophisticated technology. Have it yes, depend on it no. A lighter is sophisticated technology, moving parts, plastic, gas, flint, pins, seals, spring... a lot to break and not work. Take one or more but matches are less technology, less to break down, less to go wrong. There ain't much to go wrong with a waterproof match, or a knife and firesteel. It's like carrying a GPS and a compass. Don't depend on just your GPS. Know how to get out with your compass. The less sophisticated the technology the more likely is it will work when you need it.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I carry a plain old bic lighter, waterproof matches with 3 sandpaper pads, and a flint/mag block. Don't take up much space, but provides alot. I've had problem with butane lighters in the cold with poor fuel flow.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I see your point and would agree with you if you were only allowed to carry one fire making item. I would choose flint/mag fire starter. That said, please correct me if I am wrong, you are supposed to have redundant fire starters through out your kit. Fire being such an important means of survival.
I carry no matches myself. I do have in my BOB three mini bics, two flint/mag striker, and fire steel. They are spread out through my bag. I also have duck taped a piece of cardboard over the tops of the mini bics. Just to make sure they do not get accidentally discharged in my bag. Not really worried anything will catch on fire just want to make sure they will light.
Also while it is true a bic won't light below freezing. If you were to put it in your arm pit or crotch for a minute or two you can light it then.

·
Zomby Woof
14,329 Posts
50 Bic lighters can be had for 40 bucks...a wise investment.
A firesteel is also cheap and a wise investment.
The time needed to learn to make a fire with natural materials and friction is also a wise investment.

·
BasicPrepper.com
251 Posts
You might singe your eyebrows trying to light tinder if it is doused in a gallon of gasoline using a lighter.....but with a match, you can send your kid over to that throw it in from a safe arms distance!

Booo... sorry for the bad jokes....

I carry both why not!

if ur hardcore though, you can get a spark from striking a granit rock against a cavity filling....i saw bear grylls do it once!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.