Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm a Christian, which in and of itself is not all that popular now a days. That being said, it's one of the guiding reasons why I prep.

Most people I talk to seem as though they are prepping for the end of the world. They have varying beliefs what will lead to it, but the final destination is the same. Some say it may not be the end, just the end of the world as we know it. Some people can't wait for it. They think it will be like a mad max movie or a fall out video game. Visions of fighting off raiders and rogue military. Being I'm a Christian My reasons and reasoning is different...

If it's truly the end of the world, I wouldn't want to be here nor would I want my family here. To a Christian, heaven is the goal, not a place you run from.

My reasons for prepping, I believe are both biblical and practical. I live in the suburbs. And don't have any other place to go. I plan on living my life; church, family vacations, work, movies, etc. until the day it all stops. I prepare as I'm financially able and can justify. I prep to carry my family and friends though a few months to a year of whatever may come. And yes, I do believe bad days are coming. I also will help, in my small ways those whom I'm able. If whatever happens is really bad and goes beyond a few months to a year, it's really hard to picture making it anyway. i don't fear death, I just will lament my children having missed out on a good life.

Nobody knows what we will face tommorow, but I plan on facing it with my faith and conscience intact.

I am by no means a pacifist. I would fight and die to defend those I love.

I realize this is not popular, but it is who I am.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Maybe its me,but your post is all over the board,covering many thoughts and topics...but in the end...we all are going to die...where you end up is what you should prep for..anything else just prolongs the inevitable.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,782 Posts
So, if I understand you correctly, you are unpopular. If you want to get all the prepper babes and be part of the cool crowd you need to ditch the overt religious stuff. Buy a AR (or AK) and wear tactical clothing. Or, if you have to keep with the religious shtick, try getting one of the tactical Bibles in black cover. Though someone should bring out a camo version to really blend in.

A few minor changes to become popular and you should be good to go. :cool:

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
I'm sure a lot of Christians here can relate to some degree. Everyone preps for their own reasons. Who cares if yours is popular or not? What is important is that you are doing it...not why you are doing it, imo. :thumb:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My post wasn't about being popular. It is the fact my reasons differ from a lot of popular opinions on the subject.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
My post wasn't about being popular. It is the fact my reasons differ from a lot of popular opinions on the subject.
There are a lot of us here who don't really subscribe to the mad max/video game version of prepping. Most of us have been doing this for a long time and really just don't get involved in those types of threads as much.

And to be fair, prepping means different things to different people. I prep for real world situations, but of course that still gives me a leg up if we do happen to be invaded by aliens, communists, zombies, or whatever the current fantasy is. ;)

Az

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a lot of us here who don't really subscribe to the mad max/video game version of prepping. Most of us have been doing this for a long time and really just don't get involved in those types of threads as much.

And to be fair, prepping means different things to different people. I prep for real world situations, but of course that still gives me a leg up if we do happen to be invaded by aliens, communists, zombies, or whatever the current fantasy is. ;)
Az
I can't lie, zombies or aliens might be fun.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,782 Posts
Sorry, but your opinions on prepping are not that far out of the main stream prep group. If you really want to be a unpopular prepper, start talking up government efforts to prep and the need for Civic responsibility. Nothing is more unpopular than joining "the Man".

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
Most people I talk to seem as though they are prepping for the end of the world.
It is the type of people you are talking to, some see a show like 'Doomsday Preppers' and think that is normal, and fall into the 'media trap'. Most I talk to 'prep' for realistic things storms, injuries, break downs etc. not the 'zombie apocalypse'.

Though that does not mean I would turn down 'zombie' themed gear if it is on sale/good. :D:

·
Don't start no mess
3,786 Posts
I realize this is not popular, but it is who I am.
I can't say that I have ever categorized any prepping I have done as popular or unpopular. Questions I have asked myself are along the lines of....Will this save my life? Will this make a chore easier, or even possible? Will this put me in a better position than I would be in had I not done it? Sure. Yes to all of the above. But asking myself if any of it is popular? Never have done that. :confused:

·
Original Orange President
1,081 Posts
Your post reads like you are painting yourself and your reasons as unpopular. I really don't think that's the case though.

I'm not religious and I don't care about other people's chosen system of superstition. And yea, if you go off of a lot of the fodder on this board, it may read like a bunch of fat dudes in cammo waiting for an atomic wasteland to pop up in their back yard.

But I will say that there are a ton of people just like you, practical, well meaning, god fearing, yada yada, that are just hedging their bet. Not going bat-**** crazy over the latest media hype. Just doing rational things.

I don't see what the problem is really. Sounds like a good way to live.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I'm prepping because everything continues to go up in price. My parents lived through the depression and I'm just trying to ease that if it comes.

Many of the things I do help me TODAY. By buying food in bulk and on sale, my budget stretches further. If something happens, I have many months of not worrying about shortages or if I have the money to buy food.

By buying camping stuff on sale and at yard sales I'm able to camp comfortably now, but also when the power goes out because of a storm I have what is needed to deal with it.

By gardening I have good quality food now, but have gotten better at a skill that will always be there.

Prepping for me is a mindset.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
There is a piece of mind that comes from knowing that you have enough food, water, medicine, and toilet paper to last for a month,, no matter what happens. Time to think and act, without being hungry and thirsty.
The one area we are working on is getting more of some perscription meds. Right now as soon as we can we reorder.

·
Happy to be here!
4,928 Posts
I'm trying to understand the gist of this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're saying you only prep for short-mid term disasters because you believe that as a Christian, death is better than surviving a long term disaster? Or are you saying that a long term disaster = rapture/tribulation, and you would be gone anyhow?

·
Don't start no mess
3,786 Posts
I'm trying to understand the gist of this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're saying you only prep for short-mid term disasters because you believe that as a Christian, death is better than surviving a long term disaster? Or are you saying that a long term disaster = rapture/tribulation, and you would be gone anyhow?
I liken what he says in the OP to the guy standing on the street corner with a sign that says WILL WORK FOR FOOD. I see that and I always think, well, I'm happy for you that you came to that conclusion in life, so go do it. No need to tell me about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im really not sure how people took this post as me wanting to be popular. I was talking about popular opinion about a subject and how I feel my personal thoughts on the matter go against grain. Mr revision is a perfect example. A lot of the social network sites and people I've met through my business who prep speak to me as though it's gonna mad max world and the only chance I have is a fortified homestead in the middle of nowhere. That's not an option at this time. Hence the reason I felt my opinion on this was an unpopular one.

Putting religion aside, I'm a realist. I live in the population dense northeast. Cities like Philadelphia and New York would empty and come to the suburbs. You know that's another nightmare alone. For the foreseeable future, I can not leave. I have a sick sister and mom, all my family, my business that I'm building etc. I'm basically stuck here for a while. If something really bad happened, I have nowhere to go, nor would I leave my family. I only have the space to store a few months to a years worth of supplies. More if I only feed my immediate family less if it includes others. if said bad situation lasts more than that it's basically the end of the line for me. Enter my religion.... I'd have peace knowing where my final destination would be.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
I'm having all of my preps buried with me, surrounding my sarcophagus sealed in canopic jars, so I'll have some tasty snacks in the afterlife.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I prep because I don't want to be a hinderance on anyone. I will share my stuff with family and friends because that's what being human is about. Everyone does it for different reasons. There is no right reason but the one for you.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts