Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just stuggling with the reason what any one would use a .410 guage shotgun for. I'm sure you could bag alot of squirls and rabits with one.... but you can do that with a 12 guage.

What is the purpose of a .410 guage vs any other guage shotgun? Are there any advantages i am not aware of?

School me, please. I don't know why it even exists, besides teaching a 10 year old to use a shotgun.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I shoot skeet with mine, its more of a challenge...

they're great for rabbit, tree rats, raccoon, and general pest dispatching. They can even be used on whitetail deer with buckshot or slugs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shoot skeet with mine, its more of a challenge...

they're great for rabbit, tree rats, raccoon, and general pest dispatching. They can even be used on whitetail deer with buckshot or slugs.
That's about what I thought. But why would you use .410 when you can use a 20 guage?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Because they are fun to toy with and guys like buying toys same reason most people on these forums own at least 3 .22 rifles when all three are accurate, shoot the same, just usually different brand but mainly people buy them because we can and to have something to play with. Alot of people has a 410, 20 and a 12 gauge why i have no idea but we have them.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Years ago I was a somewhat regular at a gunshop, as my ex was into firearms for sports as was I. I got to know the owner well enough to get a job at the shop for a brief time. I had purchased a .410 Snakecharmer for cheap, and prior to firing it was not much of a fan. Mind you I was somewhat ignorant of firearms, not much into hunting, more of a range enthusiast. After a time I asked the boss what the deal was about the .410. He said it has nearly the same power of a 12 gauge, simply less pellets.
Mine was a single shot, so small it didn't even have a bead sight. It had a small compartment in a tiny stock to hold extra rounds. My only concern was no safety , which was remedied in future models.
At the time we lived in the boonies, and she had an ex who was known to be violent. With emergency response a good 20 minutes min away, and this guy living in too-close proxmity, there were nights when I would do the rounds with this in tow. At some point there was suspicion he got wind of her location, mind you this guy had a proven history of violence. It was a comfort to have that small .410 single shot at my side when investigating the odd sounds at the window or front door at this time.
Thankfully nothing ever happened, but I never felt that one shot, which in reality was all this had, would be too little to stop any would be attacker. My ex and her daughter felt very safe knowing this was around as well.

I had only paid 80n dollars for the tiny gun at the time, used. There are variants, but for a late night in the boonies popper, it was a favorite.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Years ago I was a somewhat regular at a gunshop, as my ex was into firearms for sports as was I. I got to know the owner well enough to get a job at the shop for a brief time. I had purchased a .410 Snakecharmer for cheap, and prior to firing it was not much of a fan. Mind you I was somewhat ignorant of firearms, not much into hunting, more of a range enthusiast. After a time I asked the boss what the deal was about the .410. He said it has nearly the same power of a 12 gauge, simply less pellets.
Mine was a single shot, so small it didn't even have a bead sight. It had a small compartment in a tiny stock to hold extra rounds. My only concern was no safety , which was remedied in future models.
At the time we lived in the boonies, and she had an ex who was known to be violent. With emergency response a good 20 minutes min away, and this guy living in too-close proxmity, there were nights when I would do the rounds with this in tow. At some point there was suspicion he got wind of her location, mind you this guy had a proven history of violence. It was a comfort to have that small .410 single shot at my side when investigating the odd sounds at the window or front door at this time.
Thankfully nothing ever happened, but I never felt that one shot, which in reality was all this had, would be too little to stop any would be attacker. My ex and her daughter felt very safe knowing this was around as well.

I had only paid 80n dollars for the tiny gun at the time, used. There are variants, but for a late night in the boonies popper, it was a favorite.
enough said :thumb:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
It is also a good learning caliber for kids. Not much kick compare to a 12, single shots, can take birds, rabbits, squirrel and even larger game. Ammo is not that heavy as well

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Thank you for everyone who responded.
You dont need the most powerful shotgun. I never said I was going strictly deer hunting, let alone frequently. Just look at my username and you'd understand why I only need a .410.

Not being an ass, just trying to help you understand. You've helped me alot. thanks :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for the good responses, this was pretty much what I thought. I personally wouldn't trust my life to a single shot .410, but to each thier own. It's more the single shot that bothers me than the guage, i don't trust my life to anything that only gets one chance for success.

I never really thought about it being as powerful as a 12 guage because there are less pellets. I think that saying the .410 is as powerful as a 12 guage is deceptive. That sounds like some one saying that the .22lr is as powerful as a much larger round just because they are sent down the range at the same velocity. Less pellets do matter, especially when you life is on the line.

I do now see that thier is a place for the .410 and it's the same place i thought it should be. It is a kids trainer shotgun and a squirl gun, and the next time you pick up your .410 to go nab a deer let me know. Buck shot or not I shure as heck wouldn't take it with me unless it was the only thing I had.

that MHO

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I bought my .410 tamer for a boat gun. A little lightweight, small weapon that would still have a little punch. I keep a handy assortment of birdshot,buckshot and slugs in the buttstock ammo holder. In that role, and that role alone it has performed admirably. It's a handy little gun, but I am very aware of it's limitations. They make the Tamer in 12 and 20 gauge, and I'm not sure why I bought it in .410. I just wanted a little .410!

·
Registered
118 Posts
One more thing: We know the .22lr is one of the great choices for a all around survival round. You can easily get game, keep heads down, acquire targets with shot placement and most of all: one person can carry over 2k rounds. While you can't carry that many
.410 rounds, it's capable of doing all the same things and you can certainly carry more rounds of it than 12ga or 20. It's a good choice for bug-out weapon.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
Small and handy. I love to carry mine. I wouldn't put much faith in the buckshot rounds, but I seem to remember seeing a table that showed .410 slug from a shotgun barrel had about the same energy as a standard .357 round.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Small and handy. I love to carry mine. I wouldn't put much faith in the buckshot rounds, but I seem to remember seeing a table that showed .410 slug from a shotgun barrel had about the same energy as a standard .357 round.
They actually have more energy than a .357. A big downside to the .410 slug is that all of the factory ones are loaded with a REALLY soft lead slug that breaks apart rapidly on impact. At least on impact with ballisic gel. Box of truth has a good article on the .410 slug.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more thing: We know the .22lr is one of the great choices for a all around survival round. You can easily get game, keep heads down, acquire targets with shot placement and most of all: one person can carry over 2k rounds. While you can't carry that many
.410 rounds, it's capable of doing all the same things and you can certainly carry more rounds of it than 12ga or 20. It's a good choice for bug-out weapon.
I keep two bandoliers carrying 50 rounds each. I don't know if they make a .410 bandoliers, but if they did you could probably fit 100 rounds on each. I feel that the .22 would do a better job though and the ammo is easily carried, 100 rounds can fit in the palm of your hand.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I carry a snake charmer on my riding mower. I have killed 5 foot rattle snakes in my yard with it. It does what it was intended to do...charm the snake...LOL. I have obviously trusted my life to it and it has not failed yet. If you stay calm and don't let your adrenaline take over, 1 shot is sufficient in this type situation. Having 4 in the stock keeps the ammo near, clean and dry.

I have killed rabbits with it too...easy to shoot one handed. Very small and compact.

Reactions: Meat Guy and bdc

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would think a .410 has its advantages as a survival weapon for sure. Granted, a .22lr is a wonderful little rifle. But lets face it, not everyone is as good a shot as they claim to be. And the little furry animals that taste so good dont always stand still for you. A .410 can be a decisive advanatge when it comes to small game hunting, especially if ever it would come down to HAVING to catch dinner, and just doing it for sport.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a Mossberg bolt action .410 shot gun neat little gun; I have taken numerous small game with it and started my son squirrel hunting with it, now most times it goes in the john boat with me. I gave 50$ for this shot gun 30 years ago and the reason I hang on to it is because I see fewer of these bolt actions and I have been offered enough for it to let me know to keep it, next time you are at a gun show price check’em.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Mossberg bolt action .410 shot gun neat little gun; I have taken numerous small game with it and started my son squirrel hunting with it, now most times it goes in the john boat with me. I gave 50$ for this shot gun 30 years ago and the reason I hang on to it is because I see fewer of these bolt actions and I have been offered enough for it to let me know to keep it, next time you are at a gun show price check’em.
That sounds like a fun little gun. Is the accuracy any better with the bolt action, I've heard it is. Sounds srange to me to focus in on accuracy to that point in a shotgun, probably why they are rare. Do you have a slug barrel for it?

Hang on to that piece, I think you are on to something there, that could end up with some colectors value one day.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maverick
I have never compared the accuracy of this shot gun with another but it is deadly on snakes and squirrels. I don't have a slug barrel for it and it's stamped on the barrel not for slug use. It is a full choke barrel, when I get home from work today I'll try and post a picture of it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I recently bought a .410 for the sole purpose of home defense, not for me, but for one of my daughters to use. I don't envision them being in a firefight, but I could see them hiding in a walk-in closet with the .410 aimed at the door. I've got it loaded with buckshot and I've got five more shells in a sleeve on the buttstock. It's not ideal, but they aren't strong or confident enough to handle more gun. I figured I would rather them hide behind a .410 than a .22. As they get older I will teach them to use my handguns.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts