Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
221 - 240 of 290 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,112 Posts
Situational awareness implies I think something is going to happen. If thats the case I'm not going to be there.

I'd like to think, like everyone else here, that I am totally situationally aware all of the time. The weapon is for those times when I am mistaken about that :)
You're describing a "high level alertness," such a soldier or police officer on a specific mission in a dangerous area. A fair to high chance of dangerous encounters.

Situational awareness is a level of awareness in otherwise low threat environments, but paying attention to the comings and goings and happenings in our surroundings. Such as out to dinner with family in a safe area, working from home but paying attention to who drives by, driving the kids to school, and so forth. A generally low chance of danger, but being ready to confront or react to it.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
You're describing a "high level alertness," such a soldier or police officer on a specific mission in a dangerous area. A fair to high chance of dangerous encounters.

Situational awareness is a level of awareness in otherwise low threat environments, but paying attention to the comings and goings and happenings in our surroundings. Such as out to dinner with family in a safe area, working from home but paying attention to who drives by, driving the kids to school, and so forth. A generally low chance of danger, but being ready to confront or react to it.
What youre describing as situational awareness, is basically what Jeff Cooper called "Condition Yellow", in his "readiness codes". If youre not familiar with them, you can read up on it here.....

I think hes probably the first to bring this sort of breakdown of the mindset thing to light for your average person, and that was back in the late 70's, early 80's.

Funny how for someone with so much influence in the handgun shooting world, other than maybe 1911's and Scout rifles, you really dont hear much about him anymore. His teachings and reading have probably influenced more people than many realize or even know, especially considering hes been gone going on two decades now, and time and techniques have moved on. Some of his former instructors have continued on and taken things into different, and even more simplified, and direct directions, which I think is good thing.

Still, his code system is still very valid and a good method to follow for this sort of thing, especially for those just getting started.

Im thinking a lot of understanding how this works too comes with "age and experience", and age isn't "age" in the normal respect, but more over time understanding and use. You dont have to be old to get that, and thats the experience part. I think those who understand, know this is all a "lifestyle" thing and not something you just do on occasion.

I think those who carry all the time, on a daily basis, have a different understanding/outlook on things than those who dont, and especially those who are just starting out. Early on, and/or if you dont carry regularly, you tend to be overly self-conscious and hypervigilant about things. If and when you start wearing the gun all the time, it soon becomes like anything else you carry every day, and you ease into things and dont think about it much.

That doesnt mean you arent paying attention to whats going on around you, but you come to realize, you cant be 100% aware, 100% of the time, no matter how hard you might try and think you are. Thats just life. Hopefully, your subconscious has sucked up on some of that early hypervigilance and it has taken hold. :)

I think unless youre overly paranoid (and we should all be somewhat paranoid), most will slide into daily life routine and eventually end up back more or less where you started.

One way to stop that slide is daily dryfiring and handling practice, and as realistic as possible, live-fire shooting as much as you can pull off, dont stop pushing yourself and learning. It keeps you fresh and well-practiced, so you can act without thinking about it, at least the mechanical part of it, so if you should need it, you can focus on the other part.

I think to be honest with yourself, you really do need to look at this as a lifestyle, and cultivate that, and all of it. I understand, a lot of people dont want to put in the time and effort, but if you want to, at least reasonably, have and maintain those skills, there really is no other way.

Reactions: Forrest Mosby

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
I wouldnt leave a gun around the house with any ammo in it, unless its in a lock box, ect. Then it would be "loaded".

Last thing I want to do is arm an intruder and get killed with my own gun.

If you carry the gun, its loaded and you dont have to go look for it. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: American ME!

·
You ARE what you IS!
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
5,655 Posts
I wouldnt leave a gun around the house with any ammo in it, unless its in a lock box, ect. Then it would be "loaded".

Last thing I want to do is arm an intruder and get killed with my own gun.

If you carry the gun, its loaded and you dont have to go look for it. ;)
In the wee hours of the morning awakened from a sound sleep by an intruder kicking your door in, your reaction must be instantaneous. You've no time to unlock your "lock box" or load your weapon. Your weapon must be either on you or within reach in a nanosecond, but you do what you wanna do.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,112 Posts
Empty chamber is the same as having a car with no gas in the tank...as worthless as hen💩 on a pump handle.
False.

I can rack the slide and make the empty chamber full, faster than I can speak this sentence. About 1/2 of a second.

In the wee hours of the morning awakened from a sound sleep by an intruder kicking your door in, your reaction must be instantaneous. You've no time to unlock your "lock box" or load your weapon. Your weapon must be either on you or within reach in a nanosecond, but you do what you wanna do.
Again, false.
A gun can be picked up and racked in a single trained motion. It takes, literally almost unmeasurable amount of insignificant time.

The odds of needing to draw and fire instantly are so remote it's borderline fantasy for most of us in most circumstances, outside of an actively dangerous profession (LEO, military on combat missions, etc.). I still generally carry for those remote circumstances, but the bullying and tough guy routine with silly analogies (it's a "paperweight", etc.) is really bizarre.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
False.

I can rack the slide and make the empty chamber full, faster than I can speak this sentence. About 1/2 of a second.

Again, false.
A gun can be picked up and racked in a single trained motion. It takes, literally almost unmeasurable amount of insignificant time.

The odds of needing to draw and fire instantly are so remote it's borderline fantasy for most of us in most circumstances, outside of an actively dangerous profession (LEO, military on combat missions, etc.). I still generally carry for those remote circumstances, but the bullying and tough guy routine with silly analogies (it's a "paperweight", etc.) is really bizarre.
Bullying/tough guy routine? Yeah ok superman

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
I wear my gun every minute Im awake and its fully loaded. When Im in bed, its in its holster, in my pants, next to the bed.

As Ive said a number of times, I dont leave loaded guns, chamber empty or not, around the house. To many things to go wrong. I do have a couple of loaded guns in lock boxes, but they are supplemental to the gun I wear.

False.

Again, false.

Do you want me to post up those CCTV videos again, where the people who take your advice, and a couple of others died because they couldnt get the gun loaded in time? Im pretty sure I posted a bunch back down the thread.

Your theory is flawed. If you want to carry that way, knock yourself out, but you really shouldnt be telling people that they should follow your advice, as youre doing them a very big disservice.

If someone is uncomfortable carrying a gun properly, then they should get some proper training and learn to properly use and carry the gun.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
Why are folks so invested in demanding how others carry their personal firearm? Why do you and others care so much if I or someone else feels more comfortable on an empty chamber? It is bizarre.
I thought you said a few posts back that you carrried your gun loaded? You just seem to want to tell everyone else they shouldnt.

Whats bizarre is, you advocate someone go ahead and carry a gun without proper training, and telling them they will be safe if its not loaded. Thats just wrong on so many levels.

• Wow

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
I thought you said a few posts back that you carrried your gun loaded? You just seem to want to tell everyone else they shouldnt.

Whats bizarre is, you advocate someone go ahead and carry a gun without proper training, and telling them they will be safe if its not loaded. Thats just wrong on so many levels.
But the FACT is, they’ll be safer from themselves, as will the people around them.
So that’s a win.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
But the FACT is, they’ll be safer from themselves, as will the people around them.
So that’s a win.
No. They wont, and you could very well be at risk as well, as were the people in that one video with that one shopkeeper who flubbed trying to charge his empty gun, and they killed him and I think it was his son who was with him.

Ill say it again, if youre uncomfortable carrying a loaded gun, then you shouldnt. Get some training and we all will be safer.

• Wow

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,661 Posts
All Guns Are Loaded…correct?We are trained/taught/raised to act/believe that way…
So carry a loaded gun loaded…

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts
No. They wont, and you could very well be at risk as well, as were the people in that one video with that one shopkeeper who flubbed trying to charge his empty gun, and they killed him and I think it was his son who was with him.

Ill say it again, if youre uncomfortable carrying a loaded gun, then you shouldnt. Get some training and we all will be safer.
I'd be uncomfortable carrying an unloaded gun for reasons that should be as obvious as a turd in a punchbowl. What happened to that shopkeeper was indeed tragic and perhaps the outcome would've been different if his gun was locked and loaded but I stress "perhaps" because one never knows how they would respond in a dire situation unless/until, God forbid it happens and that goes for everyone...you and I included!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,655 Posts

I didn't see him as "advocating" anything to be honest. How one may carry their weapon is their personal choice and as long as it is treated with respect, what's the boggle?

221 - 240 of 290 Posts