Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Everybody is responsible for their own salvation. Those that believe in empty chamber carry have a mistaken notion that they will always have the time to bring their firearm to a condition of readiness.

When the moment of truth arises they will have the rest of their life to realize the error of their ways.

·
Semper Fi
10,201 Posts
Leadcounsel is going to add to his ignore list again. LOL

·
covfefe
2,096 Posts

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
Maybe I am taking this post the wrong way, it just seems that how a person wants to carry is none of any one's business.
It would be if you were tasked with watching out for me or someone I cared for. At least thats the way I see it.

Just shows a lack of professionalism. Then again, how many professionals carry that way? Do you suppose any of the SS watching over Trump are doing so with an unloaded gun in their holster?

You may not be a "professional", but it is still your responsibility to be as professional as possible when youre carrying/using that gun. After all, whatever happens with it, is on you. :thumb:

Considering people like to throw statistics around so much, and that "rule of three" stat seems to be so popular, if "most" interactions are at close range, what do you suppose the odds are, or chance is, that you might need that off hand to deal with other things while you need to get that gun into action at the same time?

·
covfefe
2,096 Posts
It's okay to carry on an empty chamber, as long as you have the safety on & a trigger lock too. That way nothing can ever happen. :thumb:
thanks Bill
Now I know the rules.

I am not disagreeing that it is better to carry chambered.
But a blanket statement that it is wrong to carry with an empty chamber. That is where I disagree.

·
covfefe
2,096 Posts
It would be if you were tasked with watching out for me or someone I cared for. At least thats the way I see it.
I agree in this scenario

Just shows a lack of professionalism. Then again, how many professionals carry that way? Do you suppose any of the SS watching over Trump are doing so with an unloaded gun in their holster?
Most people are not professionals and the title of the thread makes no mention of professional.

You may not be a "professional", but it is still your responsibility to be as professional as possible when youre carrying/using that gun. After all, whatever happens with it, is on you. :thumb:
I agree. but shouldn't it be up to the individual to determine what is best for them?

Considering people like to throw statistics around so much, and that "rule of three" stat seems to be so popular, if "most" interactions are at close range, what do you suppose the odds are, or chance is, that you might need that off hand to deal with other things while you need to get that gun into action at the same time?
I agree.

As a note, I have been carrying off and on for 30+ years.
I have no problem with carrying chambered - for me.

I would never tell someone that it is wrong.
I would encourage to practice enough so they are comfortable chambered.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
I would encourage to practice enough so they are comfortable chambered.
I agree 110%, but that seems to be the conundrum and a sore/touchy point for a lot of people. :thumb:

Reactions: rustednail

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I can see carrying the Ithaca 37 with its chamber empty, in "cruiser-ready" condition, the way I was taught, but DA wheelguns need no such precaution. I quit carrying single-action cowboy guns with the hammer down on the empty chamber as EDC about 1970... But the transfer-bar Ruger single-actions provide "Six for Sure" and are much better impact weapons than the S&W K-frame.

·
Semper Fi
10,201 Posts

·
Semper Fi
10,201 Posts
I can see carrying the Ithaca 37 with its chamber empty, in "cruiser-ready" condition, the way I was taught, but DA wheelguns need no such precaution. I quit carrying single-action cowboy guns with the hammer down on the empty chamber as EDC about 1970... But the transfer-bar Ruger single-actions provide "Six for Sure" and are much better impact weapons than the S&W K-frame.
You "carried" that M37 with an empty chamber after you grabbed it and exited the cruiser?

Reactions: Nomad 2nd

·
Bugged out already
4,471 Posts
I actually support those who carry a gun with an empty chamber. In a gunfight, this give me a slight advantage over them and sometimes that's all that matters.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
I cannot think of a reason, that I would carry any gun, for defense, and not have it 100% ready to fire when I bring it to bear.
The argument seems to be from the holster to that point. If you actually get there, under "all" conditions anyway. :)

On another note, Im wondering how those people who carry that way, actually practice?

Seems, since they are so concerned about safety, and how guns are carried, how safe are they in practice when they have to constantly "unload" and manipulate the gun each time, so they can practice getting it into action, from empty.

Thats an awful lot of handling and manipulation just trying to be overly safe on one end, and has a greater opportunity to create safety problems on the other end, where youre more likely to end up hurting yourself, or others around you.

Hmmm, inquiring minds and all. :D:

1 - 20 of 290 Posts