Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 3/4 shells are 2 1/4 inches long and 3inch magnum shells are 2 1/2 onches long. Why doesn't this make any since to me.

If they are counting the crimp....that seems dumb, but it's all I can come up with.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's what I thought. I guess It's a loader/reloader thing. Cost for supplies like powder-wads-lead keep me from going that route as of now. I have found that just buying the ammo is cheaper...... but that may be changing soon enough. Perhapse I should invest in a lee press and some powder. I found out from personal experience a few years ago that pennys not just dimes can be loaded as long as you have a full cylinder bore. NO CHOKES, do not try this at home kids! Pennies are pushing the barrier of space in the cylinder already don't push it any farther. NOT full choke let me repeat that NOT FULL CHOKE.

Just saying..... and maybe wishing I hadn't, but in a bind zinc pennys will be cheaper than lead.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The measurement refers to the length of the chamber. Once the shell has been fired and it opens all the way, it is 1/2 inch longer and takes up the whole length of the chamber.
Still looks dumb to the average buyer but makes perfect since to the average gun owner. Knowing how much space the chamber can handle is important. I wouldn't want to know what would happen it you fired a 3 inch magnum in a barrel only designed for the 2 3/4 shell. That might get messy, but more likely it just would not extract properly after you almost blew up your shotgun.:taped:

Duhhh....forest why wouln't it work no more.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Still looks dumb to the average buyer but makes perfect since to the average gun owner. Knowing how much space the chamber can handle is important. I wouldn't want to know what would happen it you fired a 3 inch magnum in a barrel only designed for the 2 3/4 shell. That might get messy, but more likely it just would not extract properly after you almost blew up your shotgun.:taped:
but how come 12 and 20 ga are the same length when they are not the same diameter???

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
talk about wanting to say duh...

DOH!

:zombie
What do you mean by that Paladin? If you are refering to my NOT FULL CHOKE coment, some people that read over sites like this may not know thiese things....i don't want some dumb kids death on my cocience.

If you meant something else please clarify.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
What do you mean by that Paladin? If you are refering to my NOT FULL CHOKE coment, some people that read over sites like this may not know thiese things....i don't want some dumb kids death on my cocience.

If you meant something else please clarify.
that was in reference to the OPEN shell length not your comment

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
now talking about wanting to say duh.
Again, open shell length, the 20 ga should be shorter than the 12 ga as the length of the crimp will be shorter due to the narrower shell,,, correct? not busting on you at all... just expanding on your question...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, open shell length, the 20 ga should be shorter than the 12 ga as the length of the crimp will be shorter due to the narrower shell,,, correct? not busting on you at all... just expanding on your question...
Yes, the crimp will be shorter. But to jack my own thread (not a good one any way), do you guys thing I should go ahead and invest in a simple lee press and some powder? I know the answer to that, it's yes. I'm poor but I need to grab one while I can, It's going to be an Obamanation after all(not saying he's the probem it's his masters).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Yes, the crimp will be shorter. But to jack my own thread (not a good one any way), do you guys thing I should go ahead and invest in a simple lee press and some powder? I know the answer to that, it's yes. I'm poor but I need to grab one while I can, It's going to be an Obamanation after all(not saying he's the probem it's his masters).
Shot is expensive,,, look up some loads, do a little math and figure out if it would be worth it that way, remember you will be loading low brass, or loading for one gun,,, Now if you were asking about rifle and handgun loading, I'd say get the stuff to cast bullets and go for it, as you can always scavange wheel weights to melt but shot is a PITA to cast.

As for the quality of the thread? I honestly think it's one of the best I've seen lately. It's relevant, not one thats inane like "who would win in a fight a man with no arms or a man with no legs?". And it's right to the point. I like it and tip my hat to you for it!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you think of the penny idea. I only did a couple of rounds with it and I didn't pattern it. Looking back on it I start thinking of those old plastic disk shooters(do they still make those). The disks would go strait for about five feet and then fly off one way or the other. Being zinc instead of plastic the fly off would be further out but definately not a distance shooter IMHO. If you had the supplies melting down zinc would be quite easy but making shot out of it would be much different than lead. Now that I think of it i believe I remember entire bullets being made of zinc during a hard time in history, there was a problem with build up in the barrel if I remember corectly, but we are talking about bullets not shot.

I'm way behind when it comes to rifles, the only thing I have is .22lr and the only other round I have that's not shot is my 9mm. I porposely picked them for thier common and inexpensive rounds. If I had that .308 I can't afford i would be buying a press tomorrow after a deposit in the bank.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
What do you think of the penny idea. I only did a couple of rounds with it and I didn't pattern it. Looking back on it I start thinking of those old plastic disk shooters(do they still make those). The disks would go strait for about five feet and then fly off one way or the other. Being zinc instead of plastic the fly off would be further out but definately not a distance shooter IMHO. If you had the supplies melting down zinc would be quite easy but making shot out of it would be much different than lead. Now that I think of it i believe I remember entire bullets being made of zinc during a hard time in history, there was a problem with build up in the barrel if I remember corectly, but we are talking about bullets not shot.

I'm way behind when it comes to rifles, the only thing I have is .22lr and the only other round I have that's not shot is my 9mm. I porposely picked them for thier common and inexpensive rounds. If I had that .308 I can't afford i would be buying a press tomorrow after a deposit in the bank.
The only loads Ive ever played with coins in, the coins were layed flat in the wad, and didnt pattern very well, but they tore up the targets something fierce, since they werent predictable I gave up on them. I can imagine loading them up if you had to, but you have to watch the weight so you dont go over pressure.
If you have ever heard of the magazine The Backwoodsman www.backwoodsmanmag.com the Nov/DEC issue has an article in it giving details on how to make a wooden block type reloading jig for 12 ga shells. you still have to weigh out everything by hand and it doesnt give loads but its a little unit for depriming, priming and crimping the shells

·
Mourning Wolf
248 Posts
I remember years ago (back in the 90's) seeing an episode of rescue 911 that involved some guys shooting a bunch of shotgun shells out of a bucket through their 12 gauges. One of them happened to be 3" instead of 2/34 and it wound up with a trip to the ER and the man almost losing sight in one of his eyes.

With that said I can't help but wondering is the reverse also true? (2 3/4" fired through a 3" shotgun) Logically since there;s extra space it should fire normally but likely not feed properly. Still in a EOTWAWKI scenario one may not have much choice.

Also talk of shooting pennies through a shotgun (or dimes) I remember once reading marbles make for very nasty close quarter shot, but have no idea if it's valid.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Room for the crimped end to unfold when you fire it. 2.25 shells are 2.75 inches long when open. This also improves performance and safety. You don't need a gun barrel splitting from a pressure spot.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember years ago (back in the 90's) seeing an episode of rescue 911 that involved some guys shooting a bunch of shotgun shells out of a bucket through their 12 gauges. One of them happened to be 3" instead of 2/34 and it wound up with a trip to the ER and the man almost losing sight in one of his eyes.

With that said I can't help but wondering is the reverse also true? (2 3/4" fired through a 3" shotgun) Logically since there;s extra space it should fire normally but likely not feed properly. Still in a EOTWAWKI scenario one may not have much choice.

I thought It would end bad If you shot a larger shet shell than your gun was made for. Mine is made for both 3" and 2 3/4". What ever the largest size you see on your barrel is where you can start working your way back to aguila mini shells. There are no problems with too small of a shell, it's too big you have to worry about.

Also talk of shooting pennies through a shotgun (or dimes) I remember once reading marbles make for very nasty close quarter shot, but have no idea if it's valid.
That's the beauty of the shotgun, you can make some of the oddist things into deadly spray.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Back in the pre shell days, there was a well known substitute for speherical shot- the just hammered / rolled out some lead in a sheet of the right thickness, then cut it across into strips, then cut the other way to give hundreds of little squares of shot. Might spread a lot more than round shot, but for most game purposes it would work okay, once you learned the range limits.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
With that said I can't help but wondering is the reverse also true? (2 3/4" fired through a 3" shotgun) Logically since there;s extra space it should fire normally but likely not feed properly.
With shotguns, you can shoot shorter shells than your chamber but not vice versa. If your shotgun is chambered in 3 and 1/2 inches, you can shoot 2 and 1/2, 2 and 3/4, 3 and 3 and 1/2 out of that gun. There won't be any feeding or function problems since shotgun chambers are cylindrical, not conical.

The same is true for 22 lr. guns, where you can shoot 22 short out of them. You can't shoot 22lr. or 22 short out of a 22 magnum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts