Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know if what I am about to say has ever happen to you.

I was in a local department store about 30 minutes ago getting some cookware for my wife. I was standing in line, waiting to check out. When I turned around this jack booted cop comes walking through the front of the store and is staring at me as he walks by. So I think to myself, "what the hell is this guys problem?" Then I just stare right back at him until he walks on by with his lady friend.

When I got home, I asked my wife if I would stand out in a crowd by the way I was dressed and my size. She said maybe, but when I told her the story, she said I should of asked the cop what he was looking at.

I mean, yeah I am a pretty good size boy at 6'4" and a solid 260lbs. But then I got to thinking about it.

Was it because I was dressed in Levi's and work boots with a 1976 OD Green field jacket that is one year older than I am and has served me well since getting it from my uncle 15 years ago. Accompany that with my dirty baseball cap, goat-tee with a short, full beard and a load of Kodiak smokeless tobacco in the right side of my lip.

Maybe it was because I didn't look like the majority of the other males running around the store with their fluffed up hair, designer clothes, earrings, baggy ass sagging clothes, tool shed hanging over their belt cause they don't take care of their body and the smell as if they had just got out of a bath tub of cologne.

Or maybe it was I'm just that pretty. I don't know what his problem was, but he went on his way. Kinda made me think he thought I was up to something just by my appearance.

Just wondered if this ever happens to anyone else?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
How do you know he had a problem ? What type of jack boots they wear in your area ? . Does the coat have any military patches/insignias on it ? perhaps he served in that unit if it does.You should tried this approach. Evening officer how you doing today . Be surprised what that would do.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
Will Rogers
US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know he had a problem ? What type of jack boots they wear in your area ? . Does the coat have any military patches/insignias on it ? perhaps he served in that unit if it does.You should tried this approach. Evening officer how you doing today . Be surprised what that would do.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
Will Rogers
US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)
From his demeanor, I don't think he was interested in the patches on the coat. His mentality to me was he thought I was up to something based on my appearance. I may have been wrong with such an assessment, but that is how it appeared to me. If he was interested in what was on the coat, it was the same distance from me to him and I wasn't going anywhere.

As for the term jacked boot, maybe you can pay attention to their boots when they attempt to take your way of life.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
He profiled you. You had a number of features or characteristics that set off triggers within him. Not that you did anything wrong,you just "looked wrong".
I've never been bit by a pitbull,but I know,statistically,they are responsible for the most violent dog attacks,most of the time.So when I see one,I'm on guard. Same with this cop.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Please let me know if what I am about to say has ever happen to you.

I was in a local department store about 30 minutes ago getting some cookware for my wife. I was standing in line, waiting to check out. When I turned around this jack booted cop comes walking through the front of the store and is staring at me as he walks by. So I think to myself, "what the hell is this guys problem?" Then I just stare right back at him until he walks on by with his lady friend.

When I got home, I asked my wife if I would stand out in a crowd by the way I was dressed and my size. She said maybe, but when I told her the story, she said I should of asked the cop what he was looking at.

I mean, yeah I am a pretty good size boy at 6'4" and a solid 260lbs. But then I got to thinking about it.

Was it because I was dressed in Levi's and work boots with a 1976 OD Green field jacket that is one year older than I am and has served me well since getting it from my uncle 15 years ago. Accompany that with my dirty baseball cap, goat-tee with a short, full beard and a load of Kodiak smokeless tobacco in the right side of my lip.

Maybe it was because I didn't look like the majority of the other males running around the store with their fluffed up hair, designer clothes, earrings, baggy ass sagging clothes, tool shed hanging over their belt cause they don't take care of their body and the smell as if they had just got out of a bath tub of cologne.

Or maybe it was I'm just that pretty. I don't know what his problem was, but he went on his way. Kinda made me think he thought I was up to something just by my appearance.

Just wondered if this ever happens to anyone else?
seams pretty obvious. You choose (if you are aware) to stick out. You go into a store where everyone has "fluffed" hair and smell like "a bath tub of cologne" and your are wearing an army coat and a dirty ball cap what do you expect, everyone to be politicaly correct and treat you as an equal? Survivalist blend in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He profiled you. You had a number of features or characteristics that set off triggers within him. Not that you did anything wrong,you just "looked wrong".
I've never been bit by a pitbull,but I know,statistically,they are responsible for the most violent dog attacks,most of the time.So when I see one,I'm on guard. Same with this cop.
You could be on to something. However, I was raised up being taught it isn't right to stare. So with that being said, he could of went about it a different way. From what I could gather on his appearance, he was green and still has the mentality his new badge and rarely fired Glock 35 makes him tough.

Based on your theory of him profiling me. He isn't too good at it because if I had of been up to something, his actions would of quickly told me to lay back. He must of scored poorly on that section of the academy.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
From his demeanor, I don't think he was interested in the patches on the coat. His mentality to me was he thought I was up to something based on my appearance. I may have been wrong with such an assessment, but that is how it appeared to me. If he was interested in what was on the coat, it was the same distance from me to him and I wasn't going anywhere.

As for the term jacked boot, maybe you can pay attention to their boots when they attempt to take your way of life.

No my comment on the boots was pure sarcasm as it seem you were lumping all cops in the same pair of boots. Which would indicate you have a problem with all law enforcement.

Reactions: test

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Staring at you is a tactic.If you break it,he "wins".You are not the threat he may have thought.You don't break,he's on alert,and because he's a cop,he's automatically in the right.He might actually want you to do or say something foolish. Denying him that was wise.Next time,cross your eyes...it might get really interesting...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seams pretty obvious. You choose (if you are aware) to stick out. You go into a store where everyone has "fluffed" hair and smell like "a bath tub of cologne" and your are wearing an army coat and a dirty ball cap what do you expect, everyone to be politicaly correct and treat you as an equal? Survivalist blend in.

LOL. Don't think I fill like going out and purchasing cheap made designer clothes and being able to get a high and tight to fluff up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
you might have had the opportunity to come face to face with billy bad azz cop with something to prove to his lady friend, "hey look at me see how i can stare down a grown man, see how bad i am?" type

or

maybe he thought he knew you as one of his own (undercover) and was waiting for the high sign

hopefully it was the latter because the way you describe your appearance wouldn't make me look twice at you...sounds just about what i wear when i'm out.

but no kodiak !

YUCK

i stopped dipping that crap in the 9th grade

you might as well dip gold river or chew

apple plug. a real man enjoys cope or

skoal (for social occasions) :D:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No my comment on the boots was pure sarcasm as it seem you were lumping all cops in the same pair of boots. Which would indicate you have a problem with all law enforcement.

You are wrong with your thinking I have a problem with "ALL" law enforcement. My first cousin is a State Trooper and a best friend is a Sheriff.

Myself personally, I maxed out the state test a few years ago, but turned down the job because allowing my wife to excel in what she wanted to do career wise was more important to me than having to move to another county once I graduated, throwing a kink in what she wanted. My wife comes first in anything. Always has and always will.

As for me. I do well in what I have chosen to do and have no regrets.

Having said that, the ones I have a problem with are the ones who think just because they have a badge that daddy pulled political strings to get for them, they can treat people with disrespect, which I have dealt with personally.

I also have a problem with the ones who classify a ten hour shift as setting parked up at the local hangout hitting on high school aged girls instead of doing their damn job. Those are the ones I have problems with. I personally have never had a speeding ticket. So your statement of me having a problem with "ALL" law enforcement is not correct.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you might have had the opportunity to come face to face with billy bad azz cop with something to prove to his lady friend, "hey look at me see how i can stare down a grown man, see how bad i am?" type

or

maybe he thought he knew you as one of his own (undercover) and was waiting for the high sign

hopefully it was the latter because the way you describe your appearance wouldn't make me look twice at you...sounds just about what i wear when i'm out.

but no kodiak !

YUCK

i stopped dipping that crap in the 9th grade

you might as well dip gold river or chew

apple plug. a real man enjoys cope or

skoal (for social occasions) :D:
Can't handle the fine cut Cope. If they shell out some long cut, I might think about it. LOL

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Minus the Kodiac and 55lbs, I fit that description pretty close. In my town, I fit in fine. 20 miles away in the outskirts of the twin city area, people look at me a bit differently. By the way, Applejack used to be my choice of chew back when I used it.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
There may have been an incident in your area where they were keeping an eye out for somebody your height/build or wearing a green field jacket.

Apparently you didn't interest him enough for him to leave his lady friend, unless he stopped for a second look I wouldn't worry on it. :)

Sometimes it is profiling

Yes I've gotten the look from grocery store employees, 11:00pm stopping after work I know I look like I was hit by a truck (or might steal one), fiberglass under my nails grease down the front of me, eye putty's worn off, my jacket for work is a little big so the sleeves are rolled at the cuff and I only buy the sale items. They can think whatever they want....... I don't care.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts