Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, on the same day both of my toilets started running in the tank for no reason. I have looked everywhere on line and I have tried everything that is suggested to stop them from running and nothing is working. A few times I would think it was fixed and then it would start again. I cant see any water running but you can hear it. Sometimes it is quit and then it will get louder and then quiet and then louder again. Other times its just loud and then stops. Other times just quiet then stops. The picture is the type of plumbing that is in the tank. I

Attachments

Reactions: Ghost863

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
13,737 Posts
A few months ago, on the same day both of my toilets started running in the tank for no reason. I have looked everywhere on line and I have tried everything that is suggested to stop them from running and nothing is working. A few times I would think it was fixed and then it would start again. I cant see any water running but you can hear it. Sometimes it is quit and then it will get louder and then quiet and then louder again. Other times its just loud and then stops. Other times just quiet then stops. The picture is the type of plumbing that is in the tank. I
change the entire blue and white area in your photo. Usually what happens is the cutoff "switch" gets obstructed or just gets wore out and the float cannot completely raise up to the level needed to shut it off.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
change the entire blue and white area in your photo. Usually what happens is the cutoff "switch" gets obstructed or just gets wore out and the float cannot completely raise up to the level needed to shut it off.
I was thinking about changing it out. However, why would it sometimes work fine and then not work fine? If it was constantly running I would think it was the cut off switch. Im probably going to do it anyway.

Reactions: Ghost863

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
13,737 Posts
I was thinking about changing it out. However, why would it sometimes work fine and then not work fine? If it was constantly running I would think it was the cut off switch. Im probably going to do it anyway.
if it has a piece of trash (such as rust or just a sludge build up) it can act like that. If you have city water or county water, it most likely isn't "sludge" but if you are on a well system it could be a form of algae or slime that is causing it. If that's the case then sometimes it can break loose and be fine for a while. if you have a well, go to the well head and dump a gallon of bleach down in the little plug and that should stop any slime or algae build up for a while.

ETA: look at the brown spots on the flush arm, that is indicative of Iron oxide build up (rust)

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
How old is it? These things wear out. Sometimes they last forever, sometimes not. I use Korky or Fluidmaster. I've had both fail within a couple of years. They're not really expensive though so oh well.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad flapper valve, they seem to wear out quicker each time they're replaced, we keep extras.
Im actually watching a video on how to change it right now.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is it? These things wear out. Sometimes they last forever, sometimes not. I use Korky or Fluidmaster. I've had both fail within a couple of years. They're not really expensive though so oh well.
3 years old. Its also strange that they both started acting up on the same day. Sounds like a project for next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flapper as well. To test, put red food coloring in the tank...if it goes into the bowl...you've got a leak in the system.

Ill try that tonight.

·
Super Moderator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since you found the answer, i can say what i have been holding in.

because you need to break it legs. :) Sorry bad joke
Dont worry, I just had to put in a wax seal on one of the toilets today because it was leaking. It deserves to have its legs broken.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
3 years old. Its also strange that they both started acting up on the same day. Sounds like a project for next weekend.
Might as well replace the flapper as well since the tank will be empty. A new seal would do the trick as well. ACE hardware usually has everything you need. The big box places too. Korky universal fill valve should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My flapper gasket has been leaking off and on for the past 2 years or so, I think it has something to do with the temperature of the water coming into the toilet, I've noticed the colder water in the winter must make the gasket harder then it leaks a little water past it's seal, then as the water temp warms up with spring/summer the gasket must warm up and expand and then it holds the water back.
Easy enough job to do I would recommend using a shop vac to suck out all the water in the tank to keep the job clean/drier

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Any leaky internals I've replaced with the Fluidmaster kit. It takes all of 10 minutes and the float height is the hardest part to set, which takes 1 flush to figure out. I have installed about 10 of these in my house and for friends. I have never had to install a 2nd one, they are well made.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts