Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recovered this bullet from the ground. it is a 7.62x54 fired from my mosin nagant m44. it struck a i gallon water jug (plastic) went through a couch, and into the ground. its a FMJ so i didnt expect it to be shroomed out, but why is the ass end crunched? have you ever seen that before?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
FMJ can still have some distortion when it hits something.there might have been something metal in the couch that it hit. Or it might have hit a rock under the dirt.

Reactions: slader martin

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
7.62x54? You were lucky you found it. Probably began tumbling when it hit the water and went into the ground sideways. The 8mm doesn't do that as much but its a 200 grain bullet. Some of the 150s tend to though. Same for the 30.06.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Probably from hitting the ground sideways, or the rappid stoping from teh ground could have made it crumple at its weakest point.

Short bullets like to tumble, so it probably struck the ground off center.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
You hit 2 things with a bullet going 2400 FPS +- , whats it supposed to look like ???

Reactions: JRNC26

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yep Brew called this one right for sure. Not that uncommon for a FMJ to do that. For a more extreme example look at the 55 gr FMJ from a 223 load that has passed thru ballistic Gel. They often look kinda like a somewhat flattened Banana and often break in two at the canniclure (sp?).

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
looks like a stubbed out cigarette butt

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
WTH were you shooting at is my question?! :D: 'cause it doesn't sound like it went where you originally intended.. sorry, for being nosy but there just seems like there is a story to go with this.... :D:

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
FMJs are designed to tumble when exiting one media (air to flesh or water, water to soil, etc). It is called bi-lobed yaw. the bullet tends to turn side ways and exit a media base first. If they don't complete the turn they impact the next media side ways and get the "banana" shape if they stay intact.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Read up on this one. Its why the .223 round is so effective in the sand box but was the wrong choice for jungle combat in Vietnam.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot40.htm

Deflection happens with all bullets depending on the density of what is struck. Those big bullets will do the same in a forest full of iron wood, or other highly dense wood.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
great thread...I've found my 308's that have done that and always wondered why myself!

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
It kind of looks like the "magic bullet" that Oswald fired. It went through quite a bit of stuff and ended up looking similar to that.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AWSOME answers guys thanx a lot!!!! it makes perfect sense.
to answer lady bugging the corner section of a sectional is sitting in front of my backstop waiting for me to burn it at night sometime. i had a huge empty candy container (plastic) so i filled it with water and set it on the couch. shot it from about 50 yards away. i pretty much shoot all my recycleables filled with water before i recycle them. i like to see tham splode.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have recovered bullets that were almost bent in half sometimes they do strange things. I would hate to get hit with that old Mosin either way.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
AWSOME answers guys thanx a lot!!!! it makes perfect sense.
to answer lady bugging the corner section of a sectional is sitting in front of my backstop waiting for me to burn it at night sometime. i had a huge empty candy container (plastic) so i filled it with water and set it on the couch. shot it from about 50 yards away. i pretty much shoot all my recycleables filled with water before i recycle them. i like to see tham splode.
Works for me! LOL!
Must be nice to be able to shoot AND burn things in your own backyard. :( Fricken Mass laws...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts