Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Older movies told a story and built characters.

There are alot of good newer movies but so many times the story takes a backseat to the wow factor.

·
workin on it
1,392 Posts
Yep

They relied more on story content and less on special effects and bare skin.
Why else would a movie such as "Its a wonderful life", still be a favorite, not just for the holidays, but year round.

It was released in 1946. Also Jimmy Stewart was a decorated war veteran fresh back from the air force, Don't believe that he would undertake an endeavour that would not be up lifting. He did star in some unique Hitchcock stuff however.

·
Banned
9,119 Posts
i love old movies. black and white. light and shadow. wow.
i don`t think they told the truth, though, lgr.
people are always so elegant. the villians are good, the heroes paragons of virtue.
women screamed more than ever possible. guys carired them around too much.
maybe that`s why i like them . escape. adventure. intrigue. humphrey bogart. bette davis.
wow.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
Not that I like all old movies but the repetition in the new movies sickens me. Most movies follow the same pattern. After 10 minutes I know how it is going to end.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Personally I think the newer movies are actually much more realistic. The older ones have a more romanticized feel to it, which is why some people like them and can watch them over and over. Acting techniques have evolved to seem more realistic, leaving the acting techniques of older films seeming overdone and fake... yet at the same time, this is the reason people love them, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. My favorite old films are Cool Hand Luke, the Wizard of Oz, and Breakfast at Tiffany's, but even when considering the dialogue that is supposed to be realistic, people just don't act and talk like that in real life. Perfect example of this is "I love Lucy"... she was the most fake and exaggerated actress ever, but people love her for that.

·
Who Watches the Watchmen?
7,204 Posts
all i can say is weve gone along way and back then movies were in thier golden age.

now its like a copy of a copy of a copy of some video from the past reiterated now with modern undertones etc.

Avatar is a great example of a breakthru movie to me.. but.. it still had things from others movies that made it a little predictable.

Have to love a movie called sullivans travels look it up.. reminds me of when i had no job and feeling hopeless. but in a different time period.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Just seen avatar, total waste of money and time. Wait for the book.

Give me John Wayne, Eastwood or Stewart telling real stories, with believable plots anyday over some of this newer trash.

Reactions: timberland

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The old movies, for me, are about a quality todays movies don't have. Moral messages and raw talent. Sexuality communicated through facial expression and voice inflection that makes my innards shake. Gary Cooper and Glenn Ford displayed the responsibility and integrity that went with being a man.

When I ask myself "Truly. What kind of man do I want to be?"

"To get folks to like you, I figured you had to sort of be their ideal. I don`t mean a handsome knight riding a white horse, but a fellow who answered the description of a right guy."
Gary Cooper

I watch Mr. Deeds Goes To Town and I get some hope. I don't get that watching Vin Diesel.

I prefer sensuality to raw sex. You could sit with your mother and your kids and watch this, and still experience a testosterone spike.

If Turner Classic Movies goes down I'm heading for the tower with a rifle.

·
I'd rather be Jeeping...
762 Posts
I have no desire to see Avatar or most other new movies, but we did see Sherlock Holmes yesterday and I want my 2 hours back. Horrible movie, an absolute waste of time. We should have stayed home and watched an old western. Now those were movies. They actually had a good story, although sometimes a familiar one, didn't have a lot of skin or bad language, the bad guys were bad, the good guys were good. Yep, I'll take 'em any day.

~Johnp

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,679 Posts
"The movies are the only business where you can go out front and applaud yourself."
Will Rogers
1875-1935

Guess the Democratic party might have been different back then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts