Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and pardon me if I beat a dead topic. (I don't know if I am cause I haven't read through everything.) I as well as my brother and other "perceptive people" close to me have been watching the social/political/financial situation with concern for years now. When I talk about the good idea of keeping firearms and plenty of ammo, along with standard survival gear and MRE's, people laugh or tell me I'm crazy. I think a large portion of the population has become complacent in their own safety. Do people think that just because things have been "ok" for so long that they will continue to be so? I don't feel the end is near, but I do believe that we are headed for uncertain and possibly dangerous times. I assume this would be a place to find people of a similar mind set as well as good ideas I haven't thought of yet. So.... am I crazy?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm new to this forum and pardon me if I beat a dead topic. (I don't know if I am cause I haven't read through everything.) I as well as my brother and other "perceptive people" close to me have been watching the social/political/financial situation with concern for years now. When I talk about the good idea of keeping firearms and plenty of ammo, along with standard survival gear and MRE's, people laugh or tell me I'm crazy. I think a large portion of the population has become complacent in their own safety. Do people think that just because things have been "ok" for so long that they will continue to be so? I don't feel the end is near, but I do believe that we are headed for uncertain and possibly dangerous times. I assume this would be a place to find people of a similar mind set as well as good ideas I haven't thought of yet. So.... am I crazy?
The answer to the bold part of the quote is yes. Thats exactly what a large percentage of people think if they think about such things at all. The only crazy thing I can see you are doing is talking about it to those who don't care/won't listen if they did care types. Often silence can be your friend.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
I'd post something in this thread that was witty and such, but chipmunk said it perfectly.

Reactions: awildchipmunk

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
Welcome to the club, :thumb:your just crazy enough to believe that things can and do go wrong. Your like the rest of us,who don't want the goverment taking of us.:taped:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
As in 'most people' I'm guessing that you're talking about the general public.
Those are the ones who get their news only from what they get from mainstream media (tv) and they believe what they're told and if they don't see it on Fox, cnn, msnbc then it ain't real.

Waking up..taking the red pill..what-ever you want to call it is hard. Once you do it, you then have to take responsibility. It's easier for them to dismiss us with a wave of the hand and drive the knife in with derogatory name calling.

It is for this reason that I stopped discussing the majority of these issues with anyone out side of my realm quite a while ago. I may be in err about the things I believe, but I'd rather be prepared and be in error, than the other way around.

As granny used to say: 'better safe than sorry'. No you're not crazy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
People fear what you say as it is generally a negative view. I have worked on ways to make everything I am doing sound more posistive and relate it to real incidents versus what could happen.

You know what could happen..but some people don't want to know. If you relate to say Katrina they are more likely to buy in as they get that.

·
Registered
954 Posts
No, you're not crazy at all, but I would be careful who you tell what you are doing.
Why ? Because they will be at your door step with their hand out, or looking to rob you if your house is empty.
I know that sounds a little paranoid, but sleep is priceless if you catch my drift

Keep preparing, and only discuss it with CLOSE family.

good luck

·
Wanderer
477 Posts
There a great many like minded people in this train of thought so if you are crazy we're all crazy. Some of us might even be a little off the deep end. But I agree with the others keep it to the close circle and if you do bring it up and they don't show interest don't let on and change the subject.

D.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You aren't crazy.

I agree with Farmboy. . .be careful who you talk to. There are people who know I buy extra food here and there when it's on sale, but my husband is off work with a back injury and I'm unemployed. So they think I'm just making the most of our money (which I am but in more ways than one.) Only really close relatives and a friend or two know what I'm doing. My dad doesn't even know the extent of my preps because I don't think my step-mom can keep her mouth shut.

Keep it close, keep preparing and you'll be better off than most in this country.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
i like being crazy -- cause normal people (sheeple) are well --- boring

Reactions: Sweeper

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
I think as long as you don't end up in an enormous amount of debt acquiring such supplies, gear, equipment, etc... then you're OK.

Like during the Y2K scare period when some people did do this. But then again, that was probably a really good indication towards being prepared for the worse, more than anything else that I can think of.

I guess it all comes down to taking your chances. Those who didn't go all out right before the Y2K period, just got lucky that nothing serious happened since it was rectified. I just made sure I bought stuff that I would consume sooner or later. I didn't go crazy with expensive MRE's, etc. Just lots of canned food that I already eat, an extra AK-47, 3000 rounds of ammo, etc. There's a supermarket that's like 1/10th of a mile away from me, so if anything should happen I would be raiding that for supplies immediately. It doesn't hurt to stock up at Costco with $500 worth of food. Even in the short run, you'll benefit due to inflation, gas prices affecting the trucking of stuff to Costco, etc.

I knew a guy who stockpiled tons of stuff, including huge drums of gasoline, etc... I think he had caches of weapons buried, etc. too. needless to say, he got hurt pretty bad financially.

·
Iēsous
8,844 Posts
Is a squirrel crazy for gathering nuts for hard times?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are people like us crazy? Maybe a few of us.

How many of us "crazy" people will be alive and well after SHTF?

Yeah I'm cool if a few hippies call me crazy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think a large portion of the population has become complacent in their own safety. Do people think that just because things have been "ok" for so long that they will continue to be so? I don't feel the end is near, but I do believe that we are headed for uncertain and possibly dangerous times.
I was on the sidewalk in front of our store talking to my husbands cousin, a young woman came up to me and said "I know you guys are all about preparing, you may be interested in this" and she hands me a flyer. It was an invitation to a mock pandemic response. A dry run of how the town would handle that type of emergency. I watched her walk down the street handing out flyers, no one looked at her as though she was crazy. Some people actually asked questions.

I do not ever talk about my personal preps, not even here. But, I do talk about preparing for emergency events in generalities to anyone who is interested or asks questions.

I know we all prepare for different types of situations and I had never really thought of a pandemic as a real threat. I'll go to the mock and hopefully learn abit about community response.

To answer your question. No, I don't think you're crazy, and it seems like some sleepy little towns are waking up a bit. Regardless of personal reasons/events that you are preparing for, the word is getting around to at least prepare for something, and people are responding.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I figure a lot prepared quietly to the side make it easier when times are tough. I like the squirrel and ant methods of life. Guns, guts and glory may leave you looking crazy, but you have them on hand when the SHTF. "BE PREPARED" is a good motto. What are you prepared for?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
No, you are not crazy.

However, unless you are one of the fortunate few who realize that electricity doesn't magically appear when you flick the switch and water doesn't always come out of the spout, you've become accustomed to electricity and hot and cold running water on demand and television and lots of electronic gadgets and grocery stores.

If someone's not aware of the fragile webs that our food, water and power supply systems consists of, they will indeed think you're nuts. If someone is, they will already be preparing for tears in those webs or their total disarray.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts