Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I keep getting static shocks?

Out of all the people I know I'm always the one that gets a static shock. Whether in Japan or here. It's not like I wear anything particularly different to other people but it's always me who gets zapped.

Any ideas why?

YB

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
LOL!
I just tested the temp of a pot of water on the wood stove and got Zapped!:D:
Low temp and low humidity + synthetic soled shoes = ZAP

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL!
I just tested the temp of a pot of water on the wood stove and got Zapped!:D:
Low temp and low humidity + synthetic soled shoes = ZAP
That sounds plausible but why do I always get zapped and no one else does?

I would go for the sock theory but I wear shoes at home (not in Japan though and it was wood flooring), it's far too cold not to (although in Japan I would sleep with the window open! Not here though:eek:).

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I had the same problem.
I didnt realize when taking my coat off, you can hear the static electricity. then whenever I went to the bathroom without "grounding" myself, so to speak, I'd touch the light switch to the bathroom and get shocked.

So its pretty easy to shock yourself.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
LOL....Farmer has been laughing at me all year shutting our car door with my elbow, and NOW he is getting shocks.
He filled up with fuel a few days ago and handed the cashier the money and zapped him bad. the guy was nervous to give him the change!
This is actually a serious problem for us at the moment because we dont like the SHOCKS at all.
By the way Yorkshire boy, we wear mainly cotton , dont know about you, and rubber soled boots(unless they are lying and they arent what they are supposed to be)

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
He filled up with fuel a few days ago and handed the cashier the money and zapped him bad. the guy was nervous to give him the change! This is actually a serious problem for us at the moment because we dont like the SHOCKS at all.
Good way to set car on fire. Supposed to touch pumps "touch me" pad to ground yourself.
If it's a big problem, I would suggest getting a static strap that goes on your footwear. Lot of companies have employees wear them and a wrist strap when they're working on zap sensitive cards and equipment.
I don't know if the heel straps will work everywhere though. I have seen people wear them outside of building.
You can build up static lots of ways, not just wearing wrong shoes.
I can just take off jacket and get zapped touching lightswitch next to coat rack. If you get used to it, you can impress friends with zap sparks.
Working with telephone company, I used to think I couldn't get by without my daily dose of -48 vdc. Ringing voltage would make you yip too.

http://www.apogeekits.com/anti-static_heel_strap.htm

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
It sort of runs in our family, when its cold seems to be the worst. I try to intentionally ground myself using the palm of my hand before I touch metal with my fingertips cuz they are more sensitive.

Sometimes using lotion after your shower or bath helps cuts down on building up a charge, using hair conditioner can also help.

Working on a cold day with a lot of motion involved, I can build a strong charge in under a minute :(

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Around here it's usually me who get zapped when my friends don't. Sometimes I provoke big sparks that actually almost frighten me!!! :upsidedown:

I always have to uncharge myself if I'm going to pat the cats in winter. I guess it's both temperature, humidity and fur that causes the buildup. Those poor cats... :rolleyes:

Once I was shocked so bad my fingers really hurt and then got numb. :D:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts