Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
So this is just my opinion to play the devils advocate, if nothing else. Feel free to argue otherwise :) . Why waste money on an MRE? First of all, after eating like 6 billion MRE meals in the field and over seas I can say that they officially suck and you never get any damn jalapeno cheddar cheese spread, ever. Secondly, each one has at least 2000 calories per bag, which is the average Americans entire caloric intake for the whole day. So, if you are not constantly engaged in rigorous activity, they will make you fat. And finally, after searching for prices online, I have found that they are expensive. You can buy healthier food that will last just as long at your local groery store for a fraction of the cost. So again I ask, why the hell would you buy an MRE?

·
Registered
9 Posts
while cost wise I do not find them the best option, as a survival food they are good for being compact with lots of calories. As you said, you eat these every day and yeah, you will get fat. But if you are in a survival situation, or just going on a long hike/camping trip you NEED lots of food energy and you need it to be compact. While they may not taste great, they are great to keep a couple on hand for an emergency.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will admit, I kind of like the neat factor of having MREs.

Taste? I agree. But, I do like the chicken & rice. If going by taste....Mountain House. :)

I think in any long term survival, SHTF situation, one's caloric needs will increase. In such a situation when faced with survival and extra physical demands, those calories wouldn't be extra.

I do agree....they are expensive.

Any MRE.......is still better than eating grubs and bugs! :)

·
Μολὼν λάβ
576 Posts
MRE's are a convenient addition to a 72hr GHB. But when it's all said and done, it's more about the convenience of purchasing something already created, even at the additional cost, than putting forth the effort to put together something better.

Besides, they have those cool printed pouches and little cardboard boxes and come with those neat little heaty thingies, oh, and peanut butter in a pouch. Unfortunately, they no longer come with a Kool and Marlboro, a pack of matches and a packet of chicklets.

Ahh, the good old days.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
chili mac has jalapeno cheese spread... but MREs are great as a survival food. Any real survival food should be high in calories. While in the Marines we would have only peices of it at a time. PB and crackers here, main meal there... you can make one easily last a day and a half. Also the ability to have a hot meal by just adding water is great. They are very portible with little to no prep time. If you live by a base just check around. I get mine for $40 to $45 a box.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
They are convenient and can be stored many years under good conditions. They have accessories in them that can be used when certain things may be unavailable. You don't have to use them as a main source for nutrition and I don't plan to. They may be added to other things in storage to bulk them up and add flavor to otherwise bland commodities.

If someone is hungry and expecting restaurant or home cooked meal quality they might be disappointed with MRE's in any usage. It they adjust their expectations in the interest of staying alive with something less than their preferred style of eating, they can be tolerated. Less finicky people may even find enjoyment in having something with a little flavor in tough times.

Much better than bugs, weeds and grubs on a daily menu.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
You can buy current production MRE's on craigslist for $45 to $60 a case. That's as low as $3.75 each for a complete meal with toilet paper included. As far as calories, that just means your food can be used in smaller portions and divided more easily if necessary. If getting fat is a concern during an emergency then you've got nothing to worry about.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,792 Posts
MREs are available to every servicemember on-base. If I ever needed them I can easily buy them. My wife sells them at her workplace.

If you needed a 72hr BOB, then perhaps a few MREs would suit you well.

On the other hand:
1- they are very expensive,

2- they have way too many calories [unless your 18-24 and running an obstacle course each day],

3- they are not very good for you in terms of cholesterol, B/P, gluten, sodium, and roughage.

If the only other food source you have available is grubs then I suppose they are a good choice. But why would grubs be your only other food source?

In my circumstance, we do not have any MREs. Nor do we see any need for MREs.

:)

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
MREs make sense in some circumstances. They're great sources of grab and go energy. They're not a bad choice for BOBs and vehicle kits.

They would not be a good choice for the majority of food storage. There are a lot of better options for that. But from what I see here, a lot of folks aren't using them for that anyway.

Personally, I use Datrex for my BOB. It's lighter and more compact and I only need about 3 days worth of calories in the BOB anyway. MREs are too bulky for my particular bag. I do have a few cases at the house for whatever use they might fit some day. But like freeze dried food, they are a niche food and not a mainstay.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i don't have a single MRE in my preps. the only viable option i would use it for would be for an overnight or weekend wilderness outing. i'd much rather prefer dehydrating my own food for the reduced weight and bring it along with me for my camp trips, and just stockpile "normal" foods in my preps. plus...the cost doesn't really appeal to me all that much

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea, I agree with Mike and some others. They are great for vehicle kits and BOB applications. For that reason it defiantly makes sense to have some on hand for an emergency. I like to have as many options as possible when it comes to keeping me and family fed. I keep a couple cases on hand for that reason, but it’s no where near my long term solution. In an emergency situation circumstances could dictate your having to travel for some reason or another and they would come in handy for that too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts