Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not anti gun by any stretch of the imagination but i think people get way too hung up on them. Guns are not even a little bit "essential" in my opinion but a luxury, you could easily survive any disaster without a gun. I think that is a benefit of being a Canadian where our gun laws are so strict, since it is such a hassle to do anything with them we don't become dependent on them. Remember a walking stick can easily become a crutch if your not careful.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think people are more anti "lets go on a shooting spree the worlds gonna be so much fun when it collapes lets kill zombies and put 5 lights on our m4's, check out my survival shotgun with the compass and the bayonet on it. Anybody seen my katana and my machete?" then they are anti gun.

And I think people are more concerned with things like Food And Water and a way to cook it and stay warm then they are thinking its going to be a Book of ELi style battle everyday.

People are dumb? is that the answer?

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
I'm not anti gun, I just think that firearms are over emphasised as a part of preparation.

Firearms are a tool, not a panacea. They're good for hunting food, and perhaps discouraging the nastier elements of society, but I don't see a need to have 4 long arms and a brace of pistols, with 2000 rds per calibre. I'd rather have a nice accurate rabbit rifle than a .50 cal sniper rifle - I need to eat, so I'll spend my cash on food and food gathering tools, after all, a .22 will kill a rabbit , and, if need be, a human.

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
I dunno. It puzzles me.

Perhaps they are folks unaware of the aftermaths following hurricane Katrina, and Andrew. Perhaps they have never heard of the LA riots.

Perhaps they underestimate what the sheep are capable of when they are no longer able to drive to the store and purchase what they "need".

I don't know. But it scares me. Sheepdog's flocks can only be so large before even the best sheepdogs can no longer provide adequate protection to the flock.:xeye:

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,907 Posts
^^^ i figured you read some posts, etc., about folks being anti gun and that spurred your post...I thought you might have responding to another post...

Quite honestly, i don't think folks are anti gun as much as they might be anti mall ninja/armory dude...

Firearms are nothing more than inert tools, waiting for a job to do, be it putting meat on the table, a show of force, or defending oneself/property...

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your family gets attacked by 2 or 3 people who have guns your ****ed either way. if they don't have guns I know i could handle them since I've been doing martial arts for 11 years of my 19 years of life.
Learning a martial art style should be essential to anyone preparing for the worst.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Guns can be useful, just like a hammer. And you need a hammer and guns. If the SHTF big time, without a gun and knowing how and when to use it, you may end up helpless or dead.
My 18 inch barrel shotgun, has a bayonet lug. Came that way.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your family gets attacked by 2 or 3 people who have guns your ****ed either way. if they don't have guns I know i could handle them since I've been doing martial arts for 11 years of my 19 years of life.
Learning a martial art style should be essential to anyone preparing for the worst.
That's where firearms training comes in. It all comes down to skill. Guns, martial arts or otherwise.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
If two to three people attacked Commanche Sniper, they would be dead before he even considered reloading the first magazine.

Some of us go beyond just having a gun. Some of us know unit tactics, have smart cameras on solar off grid power, and while we don't have any kind of traps or deterrents now, we certainly will latter.

I might take one bullet or one hundred dead raiders to take me down, but with a gun I at least have a chance.

You can't karate chop a .22 bullet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i don't think it's so much anybody being anti gun. i do however think that there are many people here who think having a gun is being prepped in and of itself. i guess it also matters what exactly you're prepping for. i would say that by in large, most of here are prepping for a few weeks or months of natural disaster/economic hardship type scenario. there is however a small but very vocal population prepping for (if not hoping for) a total end of the world situation.

we could go on forever about the mentality of a guns first the "raiders" are coming for me prepper; but i've read and created posts to figure it out, and there just doesn't seem to be one.

myself i have guns that will work for what i intend to use them for. if i don't have a clear line of sight a half mile in any direction then as far as i'm concerned there's no point in being able to fire that far. much better to pull a pistol on someone i know is a threat at 25 feet than to shoot on someone who may be helpful from 500 yards away. as far as if that guy 500 yards away can hit me from there, anybody who wants me dead will find a way.it's not so much of giving up before i begin as it is trying to begin in a different direction.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts