Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried forum search and couldn't find anything so ....

My pole beans are producing well, but I find that most of them are quite skinny while I get a few which actually get pretty plump. My tendency is to prefer the plump ones, but for no good reason really. They all taste fine to me.

Is this a problem? I don't know enough to know if it is actually a problem, or just an acceptable natural variation. If you have knowledge of that or can tell me a remedy please let me know. And I wish I could tell you what vareity of pole beans I'm working with, but admittedly I just bought some from a big box store while out and about and then tossed the package.

Thanks

·
Gunner
493 Posts
It might be a nutrition problem. I do put things like bone meal or blood meal and once in a while I do use Miracle Grow plan food from time to time. I could be wrong, but it is just a idea.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Maybe you are picking them too soon. I don't know if you are new to gardening or not.

I never feed my beans any ferts and they always do fine.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Some varieties are skinnier than others. Or, as someone mentioned, you might be picking too early. My Kentucky Wonders were much skinnier than my White Half-Runners.

·
A Round American Woman
539 Posts
It's probably the variety. French variety beans are much more slender. All beans will fatten up as the bean inside matures. For fresh eating harvest when you like to eat them (some people like them smaller and some larger), for fresh shell beans harvest when the beans are full, but the pod is still green and for dried shelling beans harvest when everything is dry and papery.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Might need to add more potash to the soil. Or, you might have too much nitrogen.

What kind of fertilizer did you use when planting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts