Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rapid Learning Curve
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every LGS & online retailer has been sold out 4ever, and the online auction sites bid them up over $1k. What makes the SGL-21 more rare than platinum? All the while my local dealer has a wall full of Century Arms AK x39s, almost identical in form and function, sitting collecting dust. Can someone fill me in on the catch here?

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts

·
Rapid Learning Curve
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Nice selection but only a few are actually in stock, similar to Atlantic and K-var.
But you said "Every LGS & online retailer has been sold out 4ever". What more do you want? They are available... :confused:

·
Tactical Tinkerer
388 Posts
I am with nomad, lot of hype on the rifle ..... will disagree on the finish its crap, solvents will ruin it quick.

I would go Bulgarian before I would pick up an sgl.
I bought mine 20 yrs ago for around $400 new. All the original finish is still as good now as it was then.Ive looked at,played with and shot other ak variants and none are as smooth. It has never had any kind of failure.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I am with nomad, lot of hype on the rifle ..... will disagree on the finish its crap, solvents will ruin it quick.

I would go Bulgarian before I would pick up an sgl.
Russian finishes have always been kinda junky since the 1970s. It's more of a paint than anything else. The AKs from the 50s and 60s have a decent finish on them though. You know... If you came across a parts kit. I've personally held a nam bringback russian milled AK47s and it had a great finish on it. IDK, once the AK74 came along the russians dropped bluing and adopted that paint junk.

·
Ο ΤΟΛΜΏΝ Ν
69 Posts
I said nicer... Not nice..:thumb:
Your saying the Arsenal 'enamel paint' is better ?

Russian finishes have always been kinda junky since the 1970s. It's more of a paint than anything else. The AKs from the 50s and 60s have a decent finish on them though. You know... If you came across a parts kit. I've personally held a nam bringback russian milled AK47s and it had a great finish on it. IDK, once the AK74 came along the russians dropped bluing and adopted that paint junk.

Best finish I have ever seen on an AK is by Krebs, but hey that is custom. For best finish on a production rifle it was a Norinco.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Your saying the Arsenal 'enamel paint' is better ?

I'm saying that initially... It's "prettier" than a WASR.

So uninformed individuals believe its worth more.

Almost without exception, if you ignore things such as my triangular and "AK100 stocks" ultimaks, etc....

One AK works as good as another. It's all about nicer finish, nicer metal, etc. still run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Their scarcity may have something to do with the fact that they are no longer imported by Legion (a Russian company with a U.S. division in Florida) and then re-built/refinshed by Arsenal. FIME Group is now the Izhmash factory's official U.S. partner, and has been since 2011. Some people say FIME and Arsenal are sister companies. Some say FIME was refinishing rifles using Arsenal parts. Some say there is no relation. All I know is that FIME's website lists the SGL-21 series as "available from several distributors", to which I say "B.S.".

I have seen a few SGL-31 rifles available from Atlantic Firearms and Davidson's, but the SGL-21 series seems to have dropped off the planet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.