Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being a Noob does have its disadvantages. I see a lot of posts stating that people on here refuse to buy from Cheaper Than Dirt and in my ignorance I would like to know why. I personally have no problem with CTD but I’m not dropping loads of cash there either. I would like to know if I am missing something, and what some other’s opinions are.

My one real grip with them is that you get butchered on the shipping for your first item. It’s like $13 no matter the weight, but each additional item only adds $0.10 to $1.00 or so depending on the weight, so if you are buying a couple of items, it actually isn’t a bad deal. They also have that new “warehouse” thing that may prevent you from being able to get all you items in the same box, so you get nailed with that huge shipping fee for each warehouse.

Obviously, I have been able to find some stuff on CTD that is cheaper on Amazon, but that’s just business. Sometimes I find stuff at the grocery store that is cheaper than Wal-Mart.

I also know they stopped selling guns for a few days after Sandy Hook, which gets a HUGE thumbs down in my book, but they started again after some public outcry. Never willingly give up your Constitutional right just because some PC nut-jobs pitch a fit. One day those weapons you’re selling may be the only thing we have to keep the PC nut-jobs back.

Can I have some reason why people either do or do not like CTD?

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
my brother orders lots of stuff from CTD....
He ordered 2 bags of cheap trigger locks and 3 tiny AR7 .22LR magazines... and when it came time for me to pay my share...I was shocked to see a huge shipping charge of about $30 to ship $35 of very small lightweight gear in a tiny box that could have been sent by the Post Office for $7 or less in a Priority box

but the real shocker was when I posted here that Federal was offering nitrogen packed tin cans of 325 Federal 22LR shells,, advertised in Handgunner Magazine at $39.99 MSRP and another member said CTD had them at $119.99 a can

I bought 2 cans at my LSG for $39.99 as advertised in Handgunner

then the owner of the LSG saw them (as I did too) on CTD for $119.99 and raised his price to $49.99 himself ...attaching a printout of the CTD price to the shelf,, thus making his $10 overcharge appear a bargain,, and guess what,, ?

guys then started buying them like hotcakes..from the LSG..
So here was a good turn Federal tried to do being turned by CTD into another scare scam...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,157 Posts
They didn't yank gun sales. They held back just long enough to sell them at 5 times the price. My biggest complaint is that they cancelled existing orders and lied to their customers saying the gun was out of stock, only to turn around and put the exact same gun up at 5 times the price.

I've seen them try to sell a brick of .22s for $1,000 hoping for a sucker, etc. Real piece of work that company is.

And this is not the first time they've done crap like that. They did it back in 2008/09 too.

The sad part is that companies can just keep doing it because no matter what they do, people just keep buying from them. This is the only way that damned Botach is still in business.

·
rather die on my feet
293 Posts
Because there always first to price gouge at every opportunity. There not the only ones but they start the trend. I have never ordered anything from them because they are down the street from me, so I can't comment on there shipping charges. I used to shop there a lot, but not anymore. Made the mistake of walking in there the other day, they had a bucket-o-bullets 22lr for $199.00, as soon as you walk in. I laughed, turned around and left.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
They didn't yank gun sales. They held back just long enough to sell them at 5 times the price. My biggest complaint is that they cancelled existing orders and lied to their customers saying the gun was out of stock, only to turn around and put the exact same gun up at 5 times the price.

I've seen them try to sell a brick of .22s for $1,000 hoping for a sucker, etc. Real piece of work that company is.

And this is not the first time they've done crap like that. They did it back in 2008/09 too.

The sad part is that companies can just keep doing it because no matter what they do, people just keep buying from them. This is the only way that damned Botach is still in business.
MikeK is spot on, They also canceled orders that were already paid for and said they were out of stock, then the same day sent out a email said its in stock again but now its market up 400% even thought I had placed the order 1 week before. I would rather rot in Hell then to buy from them again.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Just hours after Obama started talking assault weapons ban, they increased the price of mags 8x. Other sites like dsgarms never changed their price, and continued to take back orders, it took 4 months to get my order from them. Companies like that will get my money, not the price gougers at ctd. Even months after Sandy hook they were selling ar-15s double the regular price. The stopping the sale of guns while they reviewed their policies is bs, they were holding their stock until other stores ran out, so there would be no competition.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. It seems like a lot of the comments are very similar: price gouging, especially on firearms and bullets. Those are the two things that I have really never even looked at on CTD; mostly because I have a local gun shop with really good prices on guns, and it never seemed logical to me to pay the shipping for bullets - by the time you pay that, you could have just paid for it at a gun show or local store and came out about the same or better. I have found some of the items they sale cheaper on Amazon, but there are also some things that they sell for a much better price. I am not a CTD extremist by any means, but with all the anti-CTD posts I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t pulled a “Rip Van Winkle” and missed something.

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
I have sent letters and emails to them about pulling their firearms from sale, and their price gouging, and I have told them that there will never be another dime of mine going to them for any reason, and to take me off their mailing list. but I still get their catalogs each month.
They burn real purdy in the fireplace.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Price gouging. Even when they're not price gouging, they are rarely anywhere near being the cheapest option when you combine price and shipping.

The name "Cheaper Than Dirt" thus is false advertising which I find to be very irritating.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They cancelled an order of mine just like MikeK described saying it was out of stock, SAME DAY it was up on their site at more than double the price. I don't care if they are 1/2 the price of where I can buy a product elsewhere I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN. I encourage others to boycott them as well every chance I get.

Cant believe they advertise on this site with all the hate, they screwed almost every one of us. Someone on the forum said it well when they wrote that the only way they would ever buy from CTD would be at their going out of business sale.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I used to order from them. I wasn't around for the '08 issues, but I saw what they did at the end of 2012. I took several screenshots of the ammo and mag increases.

I will never deal with them again.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts