Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for sleeping? :D Att I have a Claytor jungle hammock and found it to be hit/miss no matter how good a sag I have. I was thinking of using it as a bivy and then talked to some friends about the MSS. Anyone here only using a bivy or bivy & tarp setup? If so, what brand/models are you using for bivy? Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, I am stoked! I just won a new Tennier MSS in ACU off Fleabay. The seller states it's new, unused. For the price I think I got one helluva deal but we'll reserve judgment until I actually get it. This coupled with my Jacks 'R' Better 11x10 Cat Tarp should be a solid setup.

Depending upon terrain, do you guys use a ground cloth or bedroll under the bivy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
this may sound dumb, but has anyone every been bitten by a venomous snake while sleeping in a bivy?

here florida we have been having some awesome(sarcasm) snake action. we have a lot of dumbass people releasing their pet pythons and boas into the wild. last week fish an game caught a 12foot pythons. im sure some of you guys have heard about the snake that swallowed a 5ft gator in the everglades.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My Tennier mss came today. Damn, this thing is sweet! :thumb::thumb: I was hoping the foot box would be wider but I'll get used to it. I love it when things are designed and executed beautifully, and the MSS is no exception. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow night if everything stays 5by5.

I've never heard of anyone being attacked by anything other than bugs while in their bivy. Actually, check that... I did hear of a friend-of-a-friend waking up to a face full'a bear once. He managed to scream so loud he scared the bear off. :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
A bivy and tarp setup is all I ever use and have had no problems as of yet. I use a DD hammock (http://ddhammocks.com/) which I would definately recomend. I have the updated model which includes a mesh bugnet attached to the hammock. I have a full size thermorest pad that slips in the bottom of the bivy and helps greatly to hold in the heat. I use a 12 x 12 Noah's tarp which is a bit oversized but it can be configured as a full shelter to completely engulf the hammock for the hard driven rain. I have yet to get cold or wet using this setup. Definately check out that hammock site. They have outstanding customer service (Penny is wonderfull) and a wonderfull lightweight product.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ahhh The Tarp Tent....One of the Loves of my Life

I am a huge advocate of the bivy/tarp combo...pending the season of course. When things get cold I usually opt for my 4 season tent for a little more protection. The tarp that I use and recommend to many people is the Sierra Designs Origami 2 Ultralight . https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-122-origami-2-ultralight.aspx . The reason this particular item works well for me is that it is light (1 lbs 14oz) packs to the size of a football and offers great protection. I have weathered wind, snow, rain, sleet, hail, just about any type of weather the mountains here in Idaho could produce, and most of the time with out a bivy with no problems. The tent is not your typical A Frame Tarp it is a hexagonal pyramid which provides better weather protection and more coverage. I can fit 2 people plus gear in the tent quite comfortably. Even though it strays from the typical tarp tent design, the tarp offers extreme versatility in set up, allowing you to leave the tent open when you want it and closed when you don't. It requires a center pole, which for me is the treking pole that I always have with me anyway but with a little padding anything could do. If you wanted to rig a hanging line you wouldn't even need a center pole.

The Bivy I use is just a nylon sleeping bag cover from the Army Surplus. It was $5 (Huge Bonus) I treat it with a DWR to provide protection from water and she is great...not Gortex great but good enough for me. Most of the time I don't use it but if the weather is a little on the wet side it comes along to provide that little extra protection.

I recommend a bivy/tarp combo to anyone who solo backpacks, it is lightweight and very customizable, allowing you many different options for the many different kinds of weather we all experience in the outdoors.

Look around there are so many models to choose from, you should be able to find the right tarp and bivy to fit your needs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used by British Army Bivi and poncho with some bungee cord for years before getting a hammock. Worked just fine for the odd night out in the bush. I'd recommend a British Army hammock to anyone tho, nice and lightweight and really lets you sleep well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.