Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched a great special on history channel other night on tomahawks. Quite a versatile tool.

Then the recent thread on katana or samurai swords got me thinking.

If an expert with a fighting knife went up against an expert with a tomahawk, who would win?

Then another expert with the winner of that (the knife or tomahawk) took on an expert with a samurai sword, who would win?

What do you all think? Would it even be close?
(yes, I've heard in a knife fight, two guys with knives, no one is going to win.)

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I saw that special too.

They showed BATTLE AXE vs Sword and it looked better for the battle axe.

tomahawk vs sword, i'd say sword.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It would always depend on the skill of the users, the equipment they were carrying and then just plain dumb luck. A sword and a tomahawk have great stopping power by their own rights, but I think I knife user would have to be pretty lucky to win. Just my opinion.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
I've heard it said that the point always beats the edge. The sword has the reach to strike w/out putting yourself nose to nose. But the axe/tomahawk deals a crushing blow that can shatter bone and sever the soft tissue. No first hand experience so I'll leave the rest up to the experts.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Id say the sword for reach,but you could throw the tomahawk and if it don't stick Runnnnnn:xeye::eek:

·
Farmer/Film maker
206 Posts
It all comes down to skill. A moron with a sword could be jabbed in the throat with the smallest of knives, a master of the sword could block a flying knife or axe then finish off the thrower, and a master with the axe could block the sword or knife and deliver a good blow with a fist or knee before delivering the killing strike with the axe.

I would go with the sword due to my experince with them, but in a survival situation the knife would be the best to have, followed very closly by the axe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well it really depends on each persons skill obviously.... but id go with the tomahawk or the knife if it was face to face close range... if someone was a bit further off the sword would probly have it for obvious reason... but what do you think if a person had a tomahawk and a knife up against a sword?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, each weapon has a different use really. A knife is a great weapon in close quarters combat and say in a building. While a sword is good in open field and when you're standing a few feet away from your opponent. A tomahawk on the other hand can be used in close quarters AND can be thrown which gives you a range advantage. Overall it depends on what you're doing. I would take a knife over a sword in compact spaces like say a small room because a sword can easily hit anything but your target in the process of swinging it. But in an open field in say a tomahawk vs. sword battle, a tomahawk can be thrown and the guy with the sword is done for. But if you're no good at throwing a tomahawk in the open field, I would probably go for a sword because of better reach. And of course, you have to look at throwing knives as well which can be thrown and take down the opponent. Overall, I would say it depends on the situation, the skill of each fighter, and also the quality of equipment.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
why can I not find that animated .gif of the Indy "sword fight"? I just had it!

There is probably a statistically exact answer to your question in the magical land of theory where everything works the way it is supposed to. battle plans are great right up until you start the battle then they go right out the window. the most experienced and skilled master can slip on a dog turd and lose to a jail house rush.

There will always be someone better than you. There will always be someone luckier that you. in the real world there will never be a perfect answer. play your cards close to your vest, always keep your options open, have backups and backups for the backups.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...and know when to fold them and know when to run.
Your avatar Mac, that looks like a big Brown bear is right around the corner eh? :cool:

Lot of good answers. I was thinking more on it and guess that if you KNOW you're heading into a bad situation, follow Trixie's advice and take a fa.

Then I'm thinking, when WOULD you want to have one of the 3 with you?
The sword is not easily hid. The knife and tomahawk could be, with the knife being easiest to hide. Seems the sword is only for fantasy movies and the middle ages. It all seems to be rock vs paper vs scissors. But nowadays, I'm for the knife or tomahawk. The tomahawk could be more versatile - can smash windows easier, has a slight better reach than the knife, can strike from either side (altho knives with 2 edges can too), but the tomahawk can deliver a better smashing blow, altho it can't thrust and stick like the knife can. And the knife can be hid in more places - boot, back, neck, etc.

Ok, the real reason I started this thread is I"m trying to decide whether to buy a tomahawk or not. :rolleyes::D: Sigh. Maybe if I keep writing about it, it'll go out of my system. Think I'll write a fiction novel and feature the tomahawk. :thumb: ... as well as of course the versatile knife.

·
Registered
57 Posts
more info about the axe show

Watched a great special on history channel other night on tomahawks. Quite a versatile tool.
The show is 'Modern Marvels' & the episode is, appropriately, Axes:

"The axe is one of the world's oldest, most dangerous and efficient cutting tools. Watch as competitive lumberjacks and Jills chop through 12-inch logs in a matter of seconds. Visit one of the nation's largest axe manufacturers to see hot metal forged into a modern axe. Take a swing with a Vikings' battleaxe and then see which knight would win in a fight of sword versus axe. Learn why the Native American tomahawk is making a comeback as a modern tactical weapon. Finally, see how the classic fireman's axe has evolved into a trailer full of high tech rescue tools."

Running Time: 60 minutes

It was on tonight at 6 pm EST & I missed it by a 1/2 hour.:mad:

·
Registered
571 Posts
...and know when to fold them and know when to run.
Your avatar Mac, that looks like a big Brown bear is right around the corner eh? :cool:

Lot of good answers. I was thinking more on it and guess that if you KNOW you're heading into a bad situation, follow Trixie's advice and take a fa.

Then I'm thinking, when WOULD you want to have one of the 3 with you?
The sword is not easily hid. The knife and tomahawk could be, with the knife being easiest to hide. Seems the sword is only for fantasy movies and the middle ages. It all seems to be rock vs paper vs scissors. But nowadays, I'm for the knife or tomahawk. The tomahawk could be more versatile - can smash windows easier, has a slight better reach than the knife, can strike from either side (altho knives with 2 edges can too), but the tomahawk can deliver a better smashing blow, altho it can't thrust and stick like the knife can. And the knife can be hid in more places - boot, back, neck, etc.

Ok, the real reason I started this thread is I"m trying to decide whether to buy a tomahawk or not. :rolleyes::D: Sigh. Maybe if I keep writing about it, it'll go out of my system. Think I'll write a fiction novel and feature the tomahawk. :thumb: ... as well as of course the versatile knife.
I doubt I'll be getting into very many scraps without a firearm of some type. On that note, a tomahawk is often close by when I'm in the boonies so I guess thats what I'd use. Have no skill with a sword nor do I have one. My pocketknives probably are a last ditch sort of thing. Also hard to pound in tent stakes with a sword I'd think.

I do enjoy throwing my tomahawk, wife is learning how to as well which is neat. I need to get her one so she stops swiping mine.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Think of I this way, if you had a 3” folder and I had a 12” Bowie who’d you think would win? I can be farther away then you and still inflict the same damage and your attack is coming over the full length of the blade. The same comparison applies for a sword to a knife.

An axe or a knife is a close-in weapon but the axe as well as a heavy sword can be beaten easily by stepping through the path of the swing as a recovery by the other will be difficult because of the momentum of the weapon see Newton’s 2nd Law.

What kind of tomahawk are you considering, a modern tactical all steel job or a traditional trade ‘hawk? Why I ask is that you can get a decent trade hawk for $25.00 instead of the hundreds needed for a CQC-T or a Nemesis. If it is a traditional style is it only for throwing and chopping or are you going to pound tent stakes with it? If the latter then a pawl on the back would be a nice feature to look for as it makes pounding so much easier and safer. If you’re looking for a fighting hawk then the only thing to think to get is one with a spike on the back—that way you are deadly with a fore or back stroke!

The choice is poor because if I had to rely on either, or all, of those three implements in a survival situation against the ravaging hordes of zombies then I’m royally and totally screwed. First rule of survival, don’t get caught and you do that by avoiding people, see them before they see you and circle around, hide and let them pass, whatever, but don’t let them get near and then you can’t get caught.

If I’m in a realistic scenario, lost in the woods or just broken down on a deserted road the last thing I’d be carrying is a sword of any shape or style. Trunk of my car has a survival pack with a saw, hatchet, machete and hunting knife and there is a shovel and large axe as well.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
actually, it is an elephant. :D:

I agree that a sword it not really very valuable in the modern age. Even if the world collapses and the supply of cartridge ammunition is used up people will go back to black powder and muzzle loaders. the Samurai were an elite group and the same goes for the nobles in Europe. the bulk of armies, the peasant levies, did not get the fancy toys. professional soldiers tend to favor smaller more functional equipment. the Roman Legion fought largely with the gladius and was easily one of the most effective war machines before the mass adoption of gunpowder.

Swords are not cheap and, as SeekHer notes, you can get a perfectly functional tomahawk for $25. cheap swords are not even worth the price as beaters as the metal is usually so terrible. You can buy decent blades for reasonable prices if you are willing to put your own guard/hilt on. if you want to try it out, get a chap one and mess around with it. if you hate it then no real harm is done. if you love it you can get more and better ones.

·
Registered
755 Posts
With all of the users at the top of their skill level I would say the knife user would come in last unless he was an avid thrower and he had multiple knives. The small size of his weapon would enable him to carry more than one. With that aside I would say the sword over the axe not because it is of any greater power but simply because it is lighter and faster. A good swordsman can make a thrust and two slashes probably faster than a axeman can complete his swing. The big advantage of the axe is that is if he gets the first swing and the swordsman tries to block with his katana, it is now useless. The axeman then proceeds to go Off With His Head.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Didn't mean to cut down the katana or samurai swords. They truly ARE a work of art and are pieces to be held in a museum. The Samurai were in a class of their own as I've read about them. They were among the finest, bravest, most loyal and other expletives I'm not thinking of, true and honorable warriors the world has ever known - as were their fine swords. ( i think of Kill Bill II and that Tom Cruise movie)

The tomahawk still intrigues me. A good one for 25 bucks?? Really? Is there one on ebay? But that RMJ still haunts me.

I was thinking of a vietnam type or spike type tomahawk. I thought $360 was about as high as they went, but then saw these damascus ones. http://images.google.com/imgres?img.../images?q=damascus+++tomahawk&um=1&hl=en&sa=G

I don't want a cheapy. I bought that 4 in 1 tool that was supposed to be part tomahawk for $8. Upon getting it I tried to bend the handle a little to see if it gave any...not much pressure mind you... it snapped like Bill Klinton getting caught in a lie and suddenly I had a 2" handle. LOL.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
My own opinion is fairly worthless but I shall give it nonetheless :).

I believe that those who have trained for years in the art of the Japanese sword would win over a tomahawk and knife fighter (throwing their weapon would be the only way I could see them winning) within seconds.

Now, some Saxon and Viking axes had handles on them that were over 6ft long, they fought with them rather like using a stave, hitting with the butt, middle and then cutting edge.

I believe the knife fighting arts of the Gurkha and Filipinos to be the best in the world.

Put an English longbow master into the equation and they're all dead :cool:.

YB

·
Registered
261 Posts
My own opinion is fairly worthless but I shall give it nonetheless :).

I believe that those who have trained for years in the art of the Japanese sword would win over a tomahawk and knife fighter (throwing their weapon would be the only way I could see them winning) within seconds.

Now, some Saxon and Viking axes had handles on them that were over 6ft long, they fought with them rather like using a stave, hitting with the butt, middle and then cutting edge.

I believe the knife fighting arts of the Gurkha and Filipinos to be the best in the world.

Put an English longbow master into the equation and they're all dead :cool:.

YB
Yep, no doubt the English longbow is an excellent weapon. Great design. Does take a lot of skill to use it though

1 - 20 of 43 Posts