Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In the past I've used beprepared.com for my #10 cans of food I stock. I use what I order and rotate. My last 2 orders have been delayed 2 weeks each before they ship with no explanation.

I don't know what is going on but is anyone else having delay problems? Also, anyone know where I can order my #10 cans of food and have them shipped in a timely manner?

Thanks
chuk

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Most if not all of the freeze dried food outfits are experiencing massive delays, some quoting as much as 160 day lead times....prepping has gone mainstream and the supply has been depleted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Full,

Thanks for that bit of info. I was unaware shortages were happening. I guess I should count myself lucky I'm just backfilling rotated stuff.

Chuk

·
Working Woman
218 Posts
Most if not all of the freeze dried food outfits are experiencing massive delays, some quoting as much as 160 day lead times....prepping has gone mainstream and the supply has been depleted.
You are correct, Freeze Dry Guy sent out this email info this week. Below is part of that email.

"Last month we all witnessed the outcome of a œhigh demandâ situation that caused months of back orders with Mountain House products. As an outcome, they had to suspend supplying to 92% of their dealers to keep up with demand. They kept the very best; including the Freeze Dry Guy. As of February 4, 2011 all MH dealers were put on allocation which meant MH would only ship a certain number of cases. This has quickly evolved into a situation where Mountain House had to announce on March 4, 2011, that all shipping would cease to the remaining dealers for 3-4 months, until they could fulfill a substantial order that was place the Federal Government. They have committed to fulfill all back orders with us, however, all new orders are simply put on hold for the next 90 to 120 days"

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
find a local co-op

in my area i got on a co-op bulk foods buy where we buy directly from frontier foods and afew other manufactures

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
I did not know about the large government order, gotta wonder what they know that we don't.....
Angh - I think they're finally DOING SOMETHING rather than forever being behind the 8 ball. I see it as a good thing hopefully.

·
7,504 Posts
find a local co-op

in my area i got on a co-op bulk foods buy where we buy directly from frontier foods and afew other manufactures
I wish! I tried suggesting just to the people I trust most not to abandon me with a big bill, and heard "We shop at Costco/Sam's/Big Lots/etc, you should try it!" from some, and "Don't worry about us, our investment fund is doing great!" from another. (Waiting for that one to explode, a relation manages their fund, and I've never known them to NOT get screwed over by their family.) I even looked for other central Texas SB members who might want to group-buy for superpails, so no one has to buy more than they have space or money for at one time. No dice.

Now that's interesting. Maybe the Fed is rotating it's "big bunker" stock? :D:
Hmm, considering what we know about the .gov, I find this very likely.
Clues:

We already know how much they love us.
We would never suspect them of (ab)using government power and resources to look out for their own bloated self interests.
Maybe they're restocking all the Civil Defense public shelters in all those buildings we have over-paid for all this time?
/SARCASM

I could come up with more, but I need caffeine. I guess I should be happy they're using at least some companies inside our own country.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
from the Mountain house site

Dear Valued Customers:
In response to the recent concern of FEMA purchasing Mountain House products:
FEMA posted the following RFI (Request for Information) on 1-20-2011. In the RFI, FEMA was asking for information for 14M/day for 10 days. They then withdrew the RFI on 1-27-11. The RFI is a request for information only. It is not an order. In addition, this RFI was never sent to Mountain House. This is to confirm that Mountain House is not supplying FEMA or any other Government agency with Mountain House #10 cans or pouches.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) procures and stores pre-packaged commercial meals to support readiness capability for immediate distribution to disaster survivors routinely. The purpose of this Request for Information is to identify sources of supply for meals in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations.
As you know we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily. The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.
Currently we are able to meet demand for Mountain House pouches and most of these products are still available for purchase on our website. We do have a small number of dealers that we will continue to make and ship #10 cans to and you will need to contact them directly to place an order. For a list of dealers, please contact us at [email protected]
We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.
Oregon Freeze Dry

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
I did not know about the large government order, gotta wonder what they know that we don't.....
One supplier says it's government orders and another denies it and says it's all increased demand. So who knows?

Anyway, government orders like that are not uncommon. They have always made large purchases on and off. Whether they're stocking their bunkers, using them to fill FEMA warehouses, sending them overseas to kitchens and feeding facilities for government use or whatever is all speculation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
OP:
"I use what I order and rotate."

Why? This stuff is both more expensive than normal groceries and has a very long lifespan. I suggest instead than you quit using it. Just keep it for emergencies.

Instead buy normal groceries from supermarkets, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Dollar General... and rotate them.

·
7,504 Posts
I don't use the meal kits, might get some I guess. I did notice that some early fruits and cheese are available at Emergency Essentials again.

·
Getting There...
61 Posts
Costco

I ordered the six month supply, plus the fruit one. Actually received it about a week earlier than expected, no damage, and now safely stored. I think their prices are the best as well.

And my question is, why are you rotating freeze dried food? :xeye:

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can make your own nitrogen packed long term storage food using dry ice.

Everybody needs to take this step NOW. We don't have the luxury of waiting for companies to catch up on supply. We need to take charge of making our own supplies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts