Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Walmart and noticed they had a dizzying array of different brands and lamp types. LEDs, Cree, etc.. Most expensive doesn't necessarily always mean the best.

I intend on using the HL for power-outages, fishing, camping, hiking, shtf. What brand and type is a good, all-around, inexpensive (under $50) headlight?

·
Prepaholic
181 Posts
Energizer are good. A bit bulky but you wanted cheaper.
I picked up one of those in a rush and was pleasantly surprised how bright it is. Lights up the dark forest in front of you rather well and only costs about $12-15 bucks. And of course it comes with Energizer batteries.

It also has a red LED for night vision.

My only complaint is that it's rather easy for the thing to get switched on in your pack, so I'll be packing it without the batteries in it from now on.

·
This is my happy faaaacce
269 Posts
My son and I both have one from Cabelas called the Outfitter I believe. uses 3 AA batteries a,d has led and a regular bulb for long term use or shorter/brighter use.

Had them about 6 years and might change batteries twice a year if we are hog hunting a lot and they get a bunch of use.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,521 Posts
Cree LEDs are good. I am not so hung up on brands with headlights. If one has a Cree LED and a low and high setting, I'd be pleased. I have a couple Petzl lights and they're really well made. But mine aren't LED.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice the Energizer ones at WM--I think they were $12-18 depending on model.

Still haven't received Cabela's Fall or hunting catalog yet..! whiskey tango foxtrot

Right now I'm using one of the Energizer clip-on LEDs that goes on baseball caps, boonies, anything with a brim or visor. It serves its purpose for fishing and grilling at night, but it's flimsy and the tilting notches are getting worn making it just about useless. Not bad for $9, but For a Few Mollars More (notice how I capitalized that? ;) ) a headlight would be more useful, IMO

I hadn't taken into consideration one with a rheostat/dimmer. That would be handy for close up things and saving batteries. Great ideas and suggestions!

Thanks!

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
I keep a few different headlights around. The energizer lights are ok around the house and for light outdoor use, but mine haven't held up well(the forehead pads breakdown and leave you covered with this sticky black stuff ) and they don't seem as bright as I would like(two different models,one with the slider switch and one with clicky,neither are the cree models). I picked up a couple of the Bayco(find them in the tool section of WM) headlights and feel they are perfect for around the house,but aren't waterproof .They get the most use of any of my headlights.
The Petzl lights are good reliable outdoor lights and I have two of the tikka? in my med bags but honestly they aren't real bright. For the price of the brighter models I really think the zebralights would be a better choice,just check out some of the youtube vids of these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAyiDsa7nJ0

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ive had a Petzl (runs on 3 AAA) for about 7 years and it works fine. I only use it occasionally for working in the attic, during power outages, etc, but have only changed the batteries once during that time and it was just to ensure the batteries wouldnt corrode.

I'm about to order a ZebraLight (runs on 1 AA) to consolidate using mainly AA batteries and keep the Petzl as a spare. Just about everything I own other than the Petzl runs on AA or 123 batteries. The battery type and quantity used to power any light may be something to consider before buying.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Princeton quad tec tactical headlamp, mall ninja name but a ****ing awesome headlamp.

Comfortable, and the red lights are great when you want to find something but don't want people to see a big ass beam of light.

Good battery life, I'm thinking of buying another one.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
ZebraLight makes good ones.

The ZL H502 is standard-setting in the headlight industry.

I personally use a SureFire Saint, but I do have an old ZL H501 lurking somewhere in the flashlight box.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought a Princeton Tec(brand) Fuel(model) at walmart a couple years ago, for under $20, I see that sierra trading post has them online for $18. I've tried the other walmart ones, and while they do cast more light at times, they are much bulkier, and don't always take standard batteries. The fuel takes 2 AAA batteries.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a half dozen Petzl and Black Diamond headlamps and lanterns.... IMHO all junk compared what's available from the online flashlight market.

As mentioned above, Zebralight makes a great headlamp, but I much prefer the Foursevens Quarks (with a Nitecore headband, if you need a headlamp). FourSevens warranty is 10x as long, they have great customer service in the US, and they are true to their specs (my 115lm Quark is brighter than my 172lm ZL as measure by a DSLR light meter).

Here's my camping, blackout, SHTF kit.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I like BD's the best. I have used all types extensivly while working in animal dens, snake pits, trapping, working and just around the house. All of mine are older models led's and incandescent. I find that the elastic bands in the Petzel's dont last as long as the BD, they loose their elasticity sooner.

I should probably try some of the newer models to check max run time. Also, its hard to turn the BD's on accidentally, at least the older ones that I have. Red illumination option is very desireable, especially while flying an aircraft.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I would normally recommend a Zebralight but your $50 budget throws a spanner in that works.

Fenx HL21 is waterproof, would be more throwy than I like in a headlight, but it would be bright and durable. And you should be able to find it for less than $50

Most of the Petzles, Black Diamonds etc are not submersible. That may or may not bother you, but it bothers me. The Fenix is submersible.

It also runs on 1xAA which is my preferred camping power source (same as GPS, 2xAA torch, solar charger etc)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts