Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people who frequent these boards are at least "minimumly prepared" for a thermo-nuclear exchange or nuclear terrorist attack?

The extent of my preparations is having one room in my basement double walled and extra ceiling insulation and on the outside set for sandbags against my stuccoed brick.. and plenty of potassium iodide tablets, and ample foodstuffs as well.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
may not be very nice sounding but take deer skins
and leave the hair on it, make you a coat and overpants
out of it.
radiation for some reason will not penetrate the hollow hair of a deer.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
As I still do not have an underground bunker, and can only hope not to be within 100 miles of ground zero, until that day, I have lots of plastic sheeting and duct tape with air filters. My other preps cover everything else anyway.

It is hard to dig into the ground where I live. 60-90% rock in most places.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
from my ex-green beret dad they taught him this while he was being trained in '65
he had training everywhere, from new york to louisiana.
he taught me pretty much everything I know about survival.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If it's only one explosion and you happen to be in the right direction it might be safe enough much closer than 100 miles maybe even within 10 miles depending on the size of the bomb. If it's just one, it would likely be small.

The only preparation of any consequence if there were a worldwide exchange would to be located somewhere like Tierra del Fuego, maybe New Zealand for the Northern Hemisphere would likely experience Nuclear Winter for decades. Some Southern Hemisphere places might remain marginally habitable.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kregener,

It would be terrible, the bombs(fatman and little boy) that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were less than one megaton each.....imagine the destruction of a 50 or 100
megaton blast.......

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
may not be very nice sounding but take deer skins
and leave the hair on it, make you a coat and overpants
out of it.
radiation for some reason will not penetrate the hollow hair of a deer.
That's funny.....

I'm prepared....

1. Welding goggles
2. Lawn Chair
3. Cold Beer
4. SPF 5000

Let the show begin!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Kregener,

It would be terrible, the bombs(fatman and little boy) that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were less than one megaton each.....imagine the destruction of a 50 or 100
megaton blast.......
The bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were about 1/50th. and 1/100th. of a megation sized and there were survivors within 1 to 2 miles of Ground Zero.

IIRC, the largest bomb ever tested was a 50 megatonner but most that would be delivered in an all-out exchange aren't much more than the one megaton size, most much less, still very bad.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I think it would be foolhardy to base your NBC preps on either weapon yield or the variances of wind and weather as there is no way to every know how any will be on the given day.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the correction, I thought I read somewhere that they were less than a 10th, probably misread the artiicle.....and I had thought the Soviets had tested a 100 megaton bomb.....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Thank you for the correction, I thought I read somewhere that they were less than a 10th, probably misread the artiicle.....and I had thought the Soviets had tested a 100 megaton bomb.....
I guess it really doesn't matter if you are positioned where the crater might be 100 feet deep as opposed to a place where the crater might be 500 feet deep.

·
531 Posts
I wish this were something I were more prepared for. I'm not neglecting it, but as of right now, I'd say outside of stores, I'd be woefully unprepared. My home is honestly extremely poor if this event occurred. I've thought about how it could be prepped for this and I really don't believe there is a way unless I dug under and built a space under the downstairs floor. No 'true' basement or underground portion of the house. Sadly I wasn't thinking about all this when the ex and I bought the place and unfortunately I'm pretty well stuck with it right now.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts