Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Awesome
17,065 Posts
It doesn't seem like it would be unsafe, because both rounds are of the same diameter, and operate at the same pressure, while the chamber isn't long enough to be an issue for the slightly shorter overall .40. My only concern with it would be that it would require the extractor to hold the rim of the cartridge in position for the firing pin to hit the primer with enough force. How much faith would you put into your extractor in your gun being able to do that reliably?

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't seem like it would be unsafe, because both rounds are of the same diameter, and operate at the same pressure, while the chamber isn't long enough to be an issue for the slightly shorter overall .40. My only concern with it would be that it would require the extractor to hold the rim of the cartridge in position for the firing pin to hit the primer with enough force. How much faith would you put into your extractor in your gun being able to do that reliably?
I dunno. Depends on the gun. A Glock more than others if you read the article. The design of the firing pin and other parts seems especially conducive if you believe the author.

·
2nd Amendment zealot
753 Posts
I have done it from time to time. I have a stiffer than stock spring in my G29 to tame the recoil (and full power 10mm loads) I will get the occasional stove pipe with my reloads. In my G20 with a lighter spring have had zero problems. Have not noticed any accuracy issues. One thing I have noticed is the brass ejects about 3 feet away while the 10mm brass flies about 8 feet. Can't say I have fired thousands of rounds like the article states but a few hundred I have easily done.

Nice to know if I run out of 10mm ammo I can always use .40.

·
Pusher of brooms
540 Posts
I remember an article by Charlie Petty where he took a .45ACP case and started cutting it down the distance of the notch in the extractor hook in a 1911. (Plus some?)
Very interesting stuff.

I also remember an article by Al Miller where he used a sharp edges semi wadcutter bullet to adjust headspace in a 1911.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Glock 21 SF, 10mm barrel and 10mm magazines.

I shoot .45 ACP, .45 HP (Italian stuff, bought 2K rounds a decade ago), 10mm and .40 S&W out of the same gun. No problems so far, but haven't done it a lot. Only swap is magazines and barrel. Use same recoil spring and guide, same extractor and ejector.

I wouldn't do this with a 1911, although I do shoot .38 Super and 9x19 out of the same pistol by just changing barrels and magazines, doesn't seem to need to swap recoil springs, extractor or ejector.

The Glock extractors appear to be significantly more sturdy than 1911s.

Using .40 in the 10mm barrel is for range use only, not planning on it as a survival item. Ditto the HP in the ACP tube.

If I planned to shoot a lot of .40s in a full size pistol, I'd shoot a G-22.

·
Awesome
17,065 Posts

I shoot .45 ACP, .45 HP (Italian stuff, bought 2K rounds a decade ago), 10mm and .40 S&W out of the same gun. No problems so far, but haven't done it a lot. Only swap is magazines and barrel. Use same recoil spring and guide, same extractor and ejector.

I wouldn't do this with a 1911, although I do shoot .38 Super and 9x19 out of the same pistol by just changing barrels and magazines, doesn't seem to need to swap recoil springs, extractor or ejector.

Using .40 in the 10mm barrel is for range use only, not planning on it as a survival item. Ditto the HP in the ACP tube.

Well you make another point about just getting a .40. Aren't they really cheap right now because of a lot of police surplus and turn ins? And when I was younger, I really wanted a 10mm, I never got one and opted for other options largely due to the price and absence of ammunition for them. But it seems to have grown in popularity since.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well you make another point about just getting a .40. Aren't they really cheap right now because of a lot of police surplus and turn ins? And when I was younger, I really wanted a 10mm, I never got one and opted for other options largely due to the price and absence of ammunition for them. But it seems to have grown in popularity since.
I like the idea of being able to use 40 sw as an emergency backup in my 10mm glock. I mean in an emergency it’s nice to have that option. Especially as 40 is easier to find.

·
Awesome
17,065 Posts
I like the idea of being able to use 40 sw as an emergency backup in my 10mm glock. I mean in an emergency it’s nice to have that option. Especially as 40 is easier to find.
I think 9mm has such a lead over .40S&W and 10mm in cost and availability that if cost and availability were a legitimate concern of mine I would just switch to the 9 instead. But I have always wanted a .38 super. You can make rimless brass from 5.56 brass, load it up to higher pressures, like a 9x23, and match .357 mag performance, and just be a barrel swap away from 9mm, or .22TCM.

What is the going price for 10mm right now anyway?

EDIT: I just looked it up. 28 cents a round for S&B 10mm when bought in 1,000rds. That is impressive for something that was nearly impossible to find when I had an interest in it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I dunno. Depends on the gun. A Glock more than others if you read the article. The design of the firing pin and other parts seems especially conducive if you believe the author.
Conversely, when the shorter .40 S&W cartridge is chambered in the 10mm chamber, there’s effectively no physical way for it to be anything less than completely chambered. Even out of spec, too-long brass with a shallow-seated bullet is going to have room in the chamber and the slide is going to be completely in battery, as far forwards as it’s capable of going. The least headspace possible. Every time.
If your static headspace dimension is set at the ordnance minimum of .898 inch, and your cartridge case is .895 in length…you have .003 inch of headspace…with that cartridge. If the length of the case on the next round is .893 inch…you have .005 inch of headspace. Simple, no?

He tries his best to convince you that short brass is more safe...

Have you ever seen a piece that was too long?

Do you know anyone that has ever trimmed their reloaded pistol brass because it stretched longer?

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Am glad the author put the disclaimer to not do that in the article.

This is one of those odd times I agree with DG; why tell people NOT to do it and then waste a whole bunch of paragraphs trying to convince you otherwise. The link to .38 Special out of a .357 Magnum revolver was stupid. About as poor a comparison as you can possibly get.

·
Registered
34,685 Posts
Well you make another point about just getting a .40. Aren't they really cheap right now because of a lot of police surplus and turn ins?
Yep.

You can pick up a G22 (full sized .40) for $300-$350 (I saw them for $280 shipped a while back)

Pick up a $35 drop in 9mm barrel and put the .40 barrel and mags aside.

You have a 9mm Glock for $330-$375, and the .40 option sitting.

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Yep.

You can pick up a G22 (full sized .40) for $300-$350 (I saw them for $280 shipped a while back)

Pick up a $35 drop in 9mm barrel and put the .40 barrel and mags aside.

You have a 9mm Glock for $330-$375, and the .40 option sitting.
Second that. Three of the LGS I like to hang at have them for $325-350 depending on finish and sights. Standard are going for $325. With night sights for $350.

Or, be bold and drop a .357 Sig barrel in. That's what I did. Love it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Am glad the author put the disclaimer to not do that in the article.

This is one of those odd times I agree with DG; why tell people NOT to do it and then waste a whole bunch of paragraphs trying to convince you otherwise. The link to .38 Special out of a .357 Magnum revolver was stupid. About as poor a comparison as you can possibly get.
I think I see where you are going pointing out how crappy that comparison was. Because the revolver brass is always fully supported unlike the older model Glock chambers that were very poorly supported around the feed ramp and would bulge the crap out of brass?

Have not ever personally heard of any revolvers earning a reputation for bulging brass like the older gen Glocks did.

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Bingo! And neither have I. Nor have I ever experienced it out of a S&W M19, M27, or 586.

There should be a rule that poorly written articles should never be cited in posts here other than perhaps under "This is not a good idea so don't do it".

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Bingo! And neither have I. Nor have I ever experienced it out of a S&W M19, M27, or 586.

There should be a rule that poorly written articles should never be cited in posts here other than perhaps under "This is not a good idea so don't do it".
He did not read like a dummy to me but he did seem to cherry pick the 'facts' that he presented in the article with an intent to lead a guy towards his opinion.

I noticed he made several comparisons between doing this in a Glock vs. a 1911 but he left out a lot of important stuff. Example: He mentioned how a Glock could easily fire out of battery and explained how using short brass made certain that you were never out of battery but never mentioned that in a 1911 they will NOT fire if out of battery.

He compared the two and wrote a lot about how a chamber could be dirty preventing full chambering or a piece of brass be too long and how the short brass could 'solve' any of these issues that might lead to a possible kaboom but never mentioned that in a 1911 that same situation is not possible.

Just like he did with revolvers he was comparing totally different guns and how they respond to the trigger when they are not completely in battery...

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
He did not read like a dummy to me but he did seem to cherry pick the 'facts' that he presented in the article with an intent to lead a guy towards his opinion.

I noticed he made several comparisons between doing this in a Glock vs. a 1911 but he left out a lot of important stuff. Example: He mentioned how a Glock could easily fire out of battery and explained how using short brass made certain that you were never out of battery but never mentioned that in a 1911 they will NOT fire if out of battery.

He compared the two and wrote a lot about how a chamber could be dirty preventing full chambering or a piece of brass be too long and how the short brass could 'solve' any of these issues that might lead to a possible kaboom but never mentioned that in a 1911 that same situation is not possible.

Just like he did with revolvers he was comparing totally different guns and how they respond to the trigger when they are not completely in battery...
If not a dummy then deliberately misleading which IMO is just as bad if not worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts