Survivalist Forum banner

Who here likes Cream of Wheat or Grits?

6K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  Palma 
#1 ·
Most of my life I was totally grossed out by both of these, they made me gag severely and oatmeal was close. I have to admit that I probably make the cereal too sweet by adding sugar, butter and syrup but it sure is good! I would take this over cold cereal anyday - especially when you compare prices!

I've only seen the Cream of Wheat being marketed by one company but I wonder if it is possible to make it.?

Does anyone else enjoy these two cereals? I know there are a number of ways which grits can be made and can be eaten sweet or with something like eggs and bacon (salty and sometimes fried in bacon grease - there are LOTS of ways to make them).

So, any other hot cereal aficionado's?

#15 ·
I am a big fan of cream of wheat, grits and oatmeal. Oatmeal is my primary fall and winter breakfast food with yogurt for protein. Cream of wheat is a great way to get the morning started also and goes great with eggs. I like to cook up grits with bacon or sausage. I also love rice for breakfast, hot with milk and butter. As I get older I am starting to prefer the instant versions purely for the convenience. You can toss anything on them for extra flavor. I like fresh fruit, syrup or preserves.

#18 ·
I have grits or oatmeal for my morning meals all through the week.
Grits get olive oil, cheese, plain salt or a seasoned salt, eggs and meat in some combination of any and all of these.
Oatmeal gets raisins, cinnamon sugar, a very little bit of salt, crumbled granola bars for some crunch and pieces of other fresh fruit if I have any. Again, some combination of any or all of these.

#29 ·
All three of these would be great for camping as it is very compact and you can make it with water and I guess you could add powdered milk if you wanted it a little thicker. Put the water/powdered milk on the fire, bring to a boil, add Cream of Wheat/Rice or grits/oatmeal, stir, bring to boil and then remove and let sit for 2-3 mins and stir every minute and it is done! Very simple. Maybe bring some packets of honey or sugar and it would be like eating at home!

On another note, these cereals are about 1/10 the price of the normal popular dry cereal (corn flakes, lucky charms, cheerios, etc), which is great in my book!

Good info: Cream of Wheat (and probably rice) can be fed to infants starting at 6 months. I know formula is really expensive and this stuff is REALLY nutritious - lots of iron, riboflavin, calcium and protein).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.