Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts
Oatmeal, cream of wheat, malt o meal {especially chocolate}, I just love them. A big bowl with butter and honey, maybe brown sugar, now that is a good winters breakfast. We ate cooked rice with cinnamon and sugar as well. I still love it. My mom had 5 kids to feed every morning, and she made sure we ate a good breakfast.

I didn't grow up in the south, so I never ate grits.

It's great that my favorite breakfast cereals are also the ones that will store the longest.

My Father grew up during the Depression, so I got all those old stories of what it was like to walk barefoot uphill 5 miles in the winter to go to school etc stories.
He always had a fondess for this thing they called mush. He would go on and on about how great it was and all they ever had for breakfast etc. Anyway he got my Mother to make some once, nastiest thing I ever had until I left home and Uncle Sam introduced me to SOS. If your brave here is a recipe I found online.:D:

Fried Cornmeal Mush
(12 servings) Printable Version

•2 cups cornmeal
•1 cup water
•1 tbsp butter
•salt and pepper to taste
•1/2 cup oil
Bring water to boil, stir in cornmeal, then cover and turn off heat. When thickened, add butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Pour into 9X13 inch pan, refrigerate 1 hour.

Cut into 4 inch squares and fry in skillet in oil on medium high heat until golden brown and crispy

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.