Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Hubby likes another hot cereal called Red River Cereal. It's got wheat, rye and flax in it. Pretty good stuff, but we can't get it down here.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
All three of these would be great for camping as it is very compact and you can make it with water and I guess you could add powdered milk if you wanted it a little thicker. Put the water/powdered milk on the fire, bring to a boil, add Cream of Wheat/Rice or grits/oatmeal, stir, bring to boil and then remove and let sit for 2-3 mins and stir every minute and it is done! Very simple. Maybe bring some packets of honey or sugar and it would be like eating at home!

On another note, these cereals are about 1/10 the price of the normal popular dry cereal (corn flakes, lucky charms, cheerios, etc), which is great in my book!

Good info: Cream of Wheat (and probably rice) can be fed to infants starting at 6 months. I know formula is really expensive and this stuff is REALLY nutritious - lots of iron, riboflavin, calcium and protein).

We eat grits and cream of wheat. My family likes grits when I put cheddar cheese, spinach (don't cook it, just stir it in before you serve it), and bacon in it. My FIL can make grits as a side for just about any meal. Cream of wheat is easy to make. My kids like it with jelly and butter or maple syrup and butter. I have also used cream of wheat in muffins.
http://www.bgfoods.com/creamofwheat/cow_recipes.asp

We eat a lot of cheese grits with hoppin' john(black-eyed peas,tomatos,peppers, and onion).
Shrimp and grits on occasion. Also make a good change from rice with gumbo.

Cream of wheat is best cooked with milk ,a little butter ,sugar,and nutmeg.

My favorite hot cereal is steel cut or cracked oats.

I also like polenta (italian grits) when it sets and has been fried/seared.

Red-eye gravy... just can't get it here. I haven't been able to make anything decent either. Now I'm gonna have to look harder for a recipe.
"Red-eye Gravy" is nothing more than frying a ham steak and when done, remove ham, add some black coffee to make the gravy, And Voila'. You have red eye gravy.
my order of likes-

1. grit
2. oatmeal
3. cream of wheat
Same here.

My personal favorite is to add cheddar cheese to grits(in a bowl) throw in a fried egg or two, and a sausage patty. Add some salt and pepper, chop and mix all well and chow down!

I can handle grits, oatmeal, and cream of wheat, the only one I can't do is "**** on a shingle" or creamy chipped beef.
Don't like it with hamburger but if you make it with Buddig Original Beef (sliced) it can be outstanding. I use the same cream sauce rue that I use for my sausage gravy (which people rave about!) The cream sauce needs to be medium, not too thick and the most important ingredient is the fresh ground black pepper. It depends on who makes it. :thumb: My mom got her original recipe when she was stationed at Quantico in '44. It was a dad's favorite (that is also where they met and later married:D: August 13th, 1944)

I love them all. We even used to eat rice as a hot breakfast cereal. Hot rice with cream and brown sugar and cinnamon - YUM.

Grits or Cream of Wheat I eat with butter and salt.

Oatmeal with butter and sugar.

And Coco Wheats and Malt O Meal :D:
Rice pooding!

Good stuff! I like grits and cream o wheat also. Hell, I like malt o meal too:)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.