Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my life I was totally grossed out by both of these, they made me gag severely and oatmeal was close. I have to admit that I probably make the cereal too sweet by adding sugar, butter and syrup but it sure is good! I would take this over cold cereal anyday - especially when you compare prices!

I've only seen the Cream of Wheat being marketed by one company but I wonder if it is possible to make it.?

Does anyone else enjoy these two cereals? I know there are a number of ways which grits can be made and can be eaten sweet or with something like eggs and bacon (salty and sometimes fried in bacon grease - there are LOTS of ways to make them).

So, any other hot cereal aficionado's?

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
Most of my life I was totally grossed out by both of these, they made me gag severely and oatmeal was close. I have to admit that I probably make the cereal too sweet by adding sugar, butter and syrup but it sure is good! I would take this over cold cereal anyday - especially when you compare prices!

I've only seen the Cream of Wheat being marketed by one company but I wonder if it is possible to make it.?

Does anyone else enjoy these two cereals? I know there are a number of ways which grits can be made and can be eaten sweet or with something like eggs and bacon (salty and sometimes fried in bacon grease - there are LOTS of ways to make them).

So, any other hot cereal aficionado's?
I love them all. We even used to eat rice as a hot breakfast cereal. Hot rice with cream and brown sugar and cinnamon - YUM.

Grits or Cream of Wheat I eat with butter and salt.

Oatmeal with butter and sugar.

And Coco Wheats and Malt O Meal :D:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I eat grits, cream of wheat, and olf-fashioned oatmeal on a regular basis during the winter. Like to put a little whole milk and a sprinkle of sugar, brown sugar on the oatmeal. My wife's with you, Tankman, but my 13 yr old daughter loves the hot breakfasts.

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,440 Posts
Nothing like grits and red-eye gravy. Love cream of wheat and oatmeal. We like to eat hot cereals in the winter, butter, a little sugar and cream. Sticks to your ribs. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Grits, lots of butter "so they are almost yellow", some salt. 2 eggs sunny side up, 2 pc of buttered toast, and some sausage links/patties.... Now THAT is a meal!

Oh yea I LOVE some grits...

Cream of wheat I honestly don't think I have ever had.

Oatmeal: LOTS of brown sugar, and honey, and a bit of milk.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
MMMMMMMMM! Love 'em all.
Sweet or with butter, salt & pepper , gravy, syrup, it's comfort food.
Great by themselves, or as side dish... delicious.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Nothing like grits and red-eye gravy. Love cream of wheat and oatmeal. We like to eat hot cereals in the winter, butter, a little sugar and cream. Sticks to your ribs. :)
Red-eye gravy... just can't get it here. I haven't been able to make anything decent either. Now I'm gonna have to look harder for a recipe.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Grits with scrambled eggs, butter, salt and preferably cheese, but they're good without it. No sugar, milk, honey or anything else.

Cream of wheat with butter and salt only.

Hate oatmeal. Can't do anything to it to make it taste good. I can eat it if I'm hungry, but I've do NOT like it.

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
I am a big fan of cream of wheat, grits and oatmeal. Oatmeal is my primary fall and winter breakfast food with yogurt for protein. Cream of wheat is a great way to get the morning started also and goes great with eggs. I like to cook up grits with bacon or sausage. I also love rice for breakfast, hot with milk and butter. As I get older I am starting to prefer the instant versions purely for the convenience. You can toss anything on them for extra flavor. I like fresh fruit, syrup or preserves.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Grits by themselves or in a casserole is always good. Cream of wheat by itself, or an addition to pancakes or waffles instead of oatmeal for a little different taste. Sometimes I will add about a third by volume to my oatmeal. If I make a bunch I will set it aside and later fry it up in little paddies as a breakfast side dish.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have grits or oatmeal for my morning meals all through the week.
Grits get olive oil, cheese, plain salt or a seasoned salt, eggs and meat in some combination of any and all of these.
Oatmeal gets raisins, cinnamon sugar, a very little bit of salt, crumbled granola bars for some crunch and pieces of other fresh fruit if I have any. Again, some combination of any or all of these.

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
I have no idea what I'd use for a filler in meat loaf if I didn't have oatmeal available for the chore.
I use all kinds of things for filler depending on what I have the most of at the moment. Bread crumbs, any kind of crackers or chips crushed into crumbs, cooked lentils.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts