Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE had Rottys at the house for over 40 years, so that is a given, along with also having other more user friendly barkers and pets at the same time.

Our dogs are house dogs. None of this live on the end of a chain stuff.

Have had as many as 5 house dogs and presently down to 2.
but
there has always been at least one Rotty.

When I would be away at times I would come home late and find everyone asleep and the front door unlocked.
The wife would say, "Anyone wants in, they deserve what they get.":D:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
We have a great pyrenees who guards the animals and the place. She can be noisy. She stays out at night comes in during the day to sleep. Brittany stays out during the day. she and the pyrenees join up if anything comes around. Nothing comes through the gate or through the fence without us knowing.

·
Hunter/Survivor
1,004 Posts
My GSP is my early warning system even when he he is the back yard. He will begin quartering the back yard with his nose high in the air and then begin barking, lets me know someone is walking on the street or there is a delivery.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
We have a GSD and an Akita right now. We are adding a couple of Caucasian Shepherds to the pack late this year/early next year to help protect the home/birds.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lab mix here. She’s awesome as an early warning. Yes, some false alarms barking at nonsense, but worth it. Got her for the companionship, so the early earring is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have 2 Cairn Terriers (don’t laugh).

They’re not real barkers but they do have a special bark/squeal for family and a real bark for strangers.

They are also great at keeping small vermin away from my garden and out of the house. In Ca. They would even find Scorpions.

·
I have control issues
5,897 Posts
I have a Siberian Husky and a Belgian Malinois. Daughter has a Pit and a Lab/pit/Akita mix. between the four of them, they definitely let us know about anyone/thing coming onto the property, be it 2 legged or 4. They let us know about snakes, lizards, and toads, as well.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Currently, we have three big mutts. Two are old but they make noise. The third is the attacker. She was feral.....my wife spent two months getting close to her..and I think she could revert back to her fighting days pretty easily, especially if the bad guy tried to hurt my wife.

Years back, we had a Cocker Spaniel as part of our dog pack. The Daughter got her but we knew we'd end up with her! She got nailed in the face by a big Rattlesnake but survived. (1K$!) After that, she became our snake hunter. She had a strange bark that always meant that she had a snake in her sights. I got to where I never questioned it anymore. I just got my snake gun and followed her bark. She'd be standing there pointing at it...it might be all of the way on the other side of the yard but she'd have it zeroed in. A couple of times, she had Centipedes but hey to a dog, it's snake. Mostly Bull snakes or Kings but several times, she had Rattlesnakes. She earned her keep!

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Cat and dog both work together as a team. They have actually figured out my motion alarm system and can recognize which sector is going off by the number of beeps and respond to it.

Dog is an English Shepherd currently. First non GSD I've ever had. Dumb as a brick in comparison but also a lot easier to deal with as when she is de-activated she just curls up and sleeps.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have an 80lb early warning system. Lab mix, constant companion, dedicated and loyal to a fault. He has spent 99.5% of his life within 10' of me. Even lays outside the bathroom door if he can't fit inside.
I'm working late (again) and he is on duty now. With equipment running I can't hear whats happening outside. But he can.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a Karakachan Bulgarian Shepherd and she's very protective of her family and property. One of the oldest domestic breeds and they were used to keep predators away from livestock - even where they would take down wolves or bears. She's devoted to us but definitely lets us know if something is not right outside. She has a doggie door so can go into her large fenced area or can come inside to cool off. Over 100 pounds of loving, sweet security and certainly sounds the alarm if strangers or any predator comes around. We don't have the coyote problem we had before she came. Hubs is gone a lot and we're in the country but we both much more secure now she's here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a GSD that is normally a couch potato. Until she hears someone on the porch or the knock on the door, she is then in full attack mode and sounds like a howling pack. I have had food delivery men just leave the food on the porch table and are almost to their cars by the time I open the door. LoL. My sister has three little yappers, they may only bite your ankles, but you will, never get near the house without them going into full barking mode.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,146 Posts
Absolutely they are a part of the warning system. The little one barks at everything but we know something is outside when the big one barks.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Currently have 5. 2 of a breed used by LEO and 2 flock guards. And a smaller mutt that showed up at the house. She turned out to be a fine snake dog so what the heck.

They are all trained for different purposes. Training dogs happens to be my " thing". The flock guards, over the years, have kept coyotes away and been able to wash off and go to a show as well as being the house guards. The other breed have been trained as herding dogs, SDs( I am a crip and have outlived 3 so far), search and rescue dogs, obed and show dogs. They are the " back up" house guards as they are smaller. And all owner trained.

If a vehicle turns off the road or a human tries to walk in, they do their Kujo impressions. Current house guard will let children in but no so much adults<smile>. 2 smaller dogs ride shotgun when we go somewhere, leaving the big dogs to watch the house. The dogs work as packs so if someone wanted to take on one dog, good luck with that. I have had up to 14 at a time so training is THE thing.

liebrecht

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Oh....I swapped from 15 years of GSDs about 30 years ago as the GSDs were too friendly and more of a PITA to train. As long as you remember that flock guards are cats in really BIG white dog suits, it is cool.

liebrecht

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I have been thinking it is time to get one, but also what the cost would be. Another mouth to feed, and something to worry about when I want to leave home for awhile.

Around here pit bull, lab crosses are popular. I have been around a couple and am impressed, they are strong and athletic, and seem to mind the boss well. Am I wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I have three that are very attentive to people near my property.
The older Female a Lab Mix is very vocal to people even across the street and lets them know this is her area.
The Middle One Use to Jump the older Fence with ease, She is the more agressive one.
Does not like Strange Men and even some that have stopped by more than once.
You can tell she is a female by her Bark has that Woman Hystrical Yell to her voice, So I know if someone is walking up to the gate or near the fence line.
Pit-Not Sure What Else as she has a very athletic slender longer legs than a Pit has. Kinda like a Doberman but doesn't have the personality of one. Looking at her forehead you can see the Broad Pitt Head. If someone does come over for something I have to put her away.
The newest is a Austrialian-Lab mix still young not quite a year. So it will take time to see. Right now he is a very Rambunctious Teenager. Barks at the Leaf and everything else that is near the yard. He actually dug out a Rataand killed it in the Wood Pile. So we will see

1 - 20 of 60 Posts