Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 5 pounds of seed potatoes the other day. Now its just a matter of the ground drying out enough so the cuttings can be planted.

I have not cut the potatoes yet. Rained the past two days, and supposed to get more rain over the weekend. Garden area is so drenched, my boot sink into the mud.

Just going with red potatoes this year.

Watching the weather forecast, the soonest I will be able to plant is lat next week.

Old timers say to plant on February 14th, but the garden area was noting but mud for the past two weeks.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
St. Patrick's day March 17 is the traditional potato planting day here in the Ozarks: and I have had BAD luck with that date for many years here in the frost prone low laying river valley. For about 10 years now, I have planted the day after I hear spring peepers for the second time, and the second time must be two days in a row... which has been as early a Feb. 28th last year, and as late as the second week in April. They have done perfect every year using this method...

I have seed potatoes as the small one's that are sprouting from the root cellar, have not bought for years.

THIS YEAR, on Tue. of this week, I heard the spring peepers for the second day in a row... but it was the first time. Lot of rain this week, but as soon as it dries up a little (or, should I plant one of the raised beds I can plant any time ??? ), I plan to plant some... a few... What is typical is to hear them once.. then not hear them again for a few weeks. I have never heard of this before, just something I noted for a few years as an observation, then have used.

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
Been observing that stalled front that you all have going for you... Is that strictly necessary after Hurricane Harvey?

The taters that I've been setting out since autumn... are all up... set out more last week... cut the growing eyes off the taters that I made soup with...

Sometimes I get taters, most times the voles get them... ain't like up north where growing taters is easy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've got Yukon Gold and Gold Rush, because of beetle larvae chewing on potatoes in my beds, I'm going to plant in repurposed 20 gallon storage tubs. Weather up here in the mountains is pretty darn cold until mid April, that's when I plan on planting.

·
prepared for life & death
2,473 Posts
Mine have been in the ground since Feb 10. About a week or so earlier than usual. Yukon Gold, Kennebec, Norland(red) and Purple, forgot the name. Kind of worried now. We have been over 80 degrees almost everyday this week. Taters don't like SC heat and it looks like it might start a bit early this year.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
They had them out at Thomas' in Cleveland when I was down there Tuesday, but I didn't buy any. I'm not growing them this year. I am going to allot the space to winter squash. Going to plant some C. moschatas, specifically a couple of varieties of butternuts and one neat sounding one from Southern Exposure that is a cross between a small fruited Seminole pumpkin and a butternut.

So not really an answer to the question, just what I'm doing.

Seeds are due to arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to plant them and see how the Seminole pumpkin/butternut cross turns out.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I just sent an order to the Maine Potato Lady. Want to try several varieties I cannot get locally. They won't come for a several weeks.She is reasonableon price. Shipping is a killer though. I plan on using some of mine own for seed, too. I sent an order for sweet potato slips a week or so ago. They are not due until end of May, beginning of June.

·
Canning queen
1,017 Posts
Amazing prices at the Maine Potato Lady - thank you! I froze my seed potato stock last fall, unintentionally, so needed to buy more. Also- 50-75 onion plants in a bunch? Great value there too. Appreciate the lead!

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
I have ordered potatos, but they will not arrive until April. I will also buy some seed potatos from the local feed store, but they have not yet ordered them, let alone gotten them in.

That is fine with me: it very much looks like we will have an equinox storm this year, with very low temps. So I will not want to plant potatos until late April anyways.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,288 Posts
I bought some Yukon Gold and Red Pontiac at the feed & seed last week. Got the small ones so I don't have to cut up anything. They will be planted March 3-6 during the early waning moon. Yeah, I'm still playing with the "planting by the moon" thing. It seems to work... well enough that I'm about scared not to!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Checked my left over potatoes from last year that I didn’t get to eat. About 75lbs. Most have 7-12” roots and 4-12” eyes already. Just need some warm dry weather to till the garden and plant them!

·
gardener & news junkie
3,288 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what those of you who buy your seed potatoes are paying for them. I paid 60 cents a pound at the feed & seed and got to pick which ones I wanted.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
That is a very reasonable price. I think that is what I paid for some last year. A little more, maybe .80/# , at another place.

I paid more this year to get the varieties I want. I find the local stores have a fairly limited choice of varieties.

·
Bugged out already
4,130 Posts
You guys are killing me as I can’t plant until mid-May! Yukon gold has been phenomenal the past couple years. My wife wants me to plant a purple variety in addition to the Yukon gold this year.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
I paid $5 for 2.5 pounds, plus shipping and handling. It should arrive sometime in April.

I would not have done it excepting that I wanted to try Elba, which is a new variety for me. It is supposed to store VERY well, so I hope to not have to pay those kinds of prices again.

For this years eating potatos I expect to buy some from the feed store, and also to cut up some from the grocery store.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
Checked my left over potatoes from last year that I didn’t get to eat. About 75lbs. Most have 7-12” roots and 4-12” eyes already. Just need some warm dry weather to till the garden and plant them!
How did you store them? I would like to save some seed potatos for next year!

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
Well, the co-op said their potato seed will be in next week. No "peaches & cream" sweet corn, or no 13-13-13 fertilizer. Sheeze :mad:
So I just got a few red something or other at Rural King. Only variety is the red, Yukon gold and Kennebec. No choices. The very reason why its more reliable to just order online everything you need. Was a wasted trip to the co-op.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts