Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reload my own, but it's a slow process. Looking to get my hands on MANY more rounds.

I don't mind box loads, plinkers, etc. Just whatever is cheap. Hollow points are not necessary, just a nice to have.

I use these in a rifle/pistol combo so any grain count will do. Where do you get yours for the best deal? Wally world? ****s? Gun shop? Online?

Thanks,
Cool Hand

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Seen some cheap JHP federal ammo in the brown box at wal mart. picked up some a few weeks ago. Don't recall price but it was cheap for JHP.

Reactions: Cool Hand

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Just went and looked at the box 158gr JSP(jacket soft point)

·
3,649 Posts
this is about the cheapest i have found online.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/357-ammo.php

17.95 for CCI Blazer Ammunition .357 Magnum 158gr JHP 50rds

it's stuff you can not reload, but still it is a good load. shoots great in my S&W 686 7 shot with a 6inch barrel. i plan on picking up a case next month, after i get my truck fixed.

edit: had to fix the link because of a typo on the first link.

·
Banned
647 Posts
When I reload I make it into a series of events so it doesnt seem so tedious. I start with my bag of brass, do a general inspection of course then I load up my hand primer tool and get comfy on the couch and flick the tv on. As Im hand priming I check each one with the tip of my finger to make sure its seated properly then put the primed brass in another bag. Once Im finished with lets say 100 rounds, Im done for the day. The next day I put them through the lipping die then place them mouth up primer down inside my cartridge holder so they are ready to receive the charge. Once they are all lipped, Im done for that day. Then I move onto the seating die, get it set up and locked down then seat one round inside of a non primed brass and check the OAL with a micrometer. Once the die is set, I leave it alone and move onto the charges. I generally do half of my primed brass at a time since weighing the charges does take the most time. Once half are charged then I turn on the radio and start seating and checking the OAL every 5th round until finished. For 357 its far cheaper to hand load then buy decent and reputable rounds. Make it a series of events like I mentioned and youll get satisfaction out of making your own rounds, having a fun hobby, and save a ton on shipping fees of sending you live rounds. Lastly, they will be far more accurate and when it comes to gun play, you want accurate and reliable rounds. There is no worse feeling in the world then hearing that click of a round that didnt discharge when your life is on the line.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been reloading for years, just never got ahead of what I use. .357's are easy and cheap but now I want to get enough ahead to have a good stash.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Reactions: lorky

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Why not use lower cost .38 Special? You said for plinking right?

Al

·
Registered
186 Posts
I buy most my ammo through the Sportsman guide .Never had a problem fast shipping.
When I do buy ammo at walmart I always pay cash so there is no paper trail.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I think hes after the penetration aspect of the 357. But 38 ammo will kill you just as dead.
I don't mind box loads, plinkers, etc. Just whatever is cheap. Hollow points are not necessary, just a nice to have.

I use these in a rifle/pistol combo so any grain count will do.

Thanks,
Cool Hand
He doesn't say anything about penetration. In fact, he mentions plinkers etc.???

Al

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can make my own penetrators. Just looking for cheap ammo. Picked up some .357/.38 and .30/30's and .308's today. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Al Diehl

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
He mentioned plinkers for the 357, never mentioned 38 special. Ty in advance.
.38 Special is plinkers for a .357 magnum if you think about it. Just sayin'.

Al

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
I reload my own, but it's a slow process. Looking to get my hands on MANY more rounds.

I use these in a rifle/pistol combo so any grain count will do. Where do you get yours for the best deal? Wally world? ****s? Gun shop? Online?

Thanks,
Cool Hand
I was going to rip on Odessa, but that's not very constructive.

Let me just start by saying, good survival concept sir. I like the cowboy concept having a pistol and rifle that uses the same cartridge.

A lot of people don't know it but a 357MAG can also use 38S&W, 38Long Colt, and 38Short Colt. If you were scavenging you might or more than likely not find these cartridges. But it's still good knowledge to have. If your pistol can take moon clips you could use 9mm in it.

Wal-Mart is definitly cheaper than you local sporting goods store.

The cheapest ammo I've ever seen has to be CCI Blazer. This ammo is non-reloadable.

I'm more in to accuracy than penetration and expansion. Do you think a bad guy knows or cares what type of bullet he was shot with. Alot of people on this forum like to over think every situation. I'm the type who just goes out and does things to find out what works.

Any way I hope this helped.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Just picked up a couple of 50-round packs of .38 Special 158gr semi-wadcutter hollow point +Ps from Georgia Arms (770-459-5117) for $11.50 each at the local C&E gun show this past weekend.

I know they had .357s, probably at a comparable price. Looks like they're factory reloads, but I've never had any problems with them. Not too sure I'd know the difference, anyway.

http://georgia-arms.com/357mag.aspx Banner on the front page says they're having some kind of deal on free shipping right now.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, one thing I found is that those non brass loads don't turn my leather shooting belt green. I have 20 loops for rounds and when I take them outdoors the would always be green when I got back.

I guess there is a use for the cheapies after all.

Reactions: Griff
1 - 20 of 38 Posts