Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to expand my stockpile of 223, so who has the best deals on brass cased ammo?

Over the past few years I have been buying Monarch 223 from Academy sports and outdoors. Monarch is something like $4.89 for a box of 20 but is steel cased. After taking inventory last weekend I decided I have enough steel cased ammunition and its time to get some more brass cased ammo.

Related forum thread - steel case vs brass cased

American Eagle seems to be one of the better priced brands, but the local wal-maart stays sold out. From what the guy who works in sporting goods tells me, a couple of people will buy 20 boxes at a time. I think the American Eagle sells for less then $8 a box of 20.

Federal bulk 223 in a box of 100 rounds. I think the price on this is something like $35?

American Tactical Imports - a buddy of mine likes this brand and has been buying it up. But it looks like availability is hit and miss.

Lake City 223, cheaper than dirt says American Eagle is made by Lake City. At least that is what the cheaper than dirt website says.

I thought about just buying the Federal 100 round bulk packs. At around $35 + tax, that should keep the price around $40 for 100 rounds.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Sportsman's Guide and Cabela's have some pretty decent prices on 5.56 and .223.

I prefer Lake City for the 5.56 brass.

Reactions: sniperfx

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the overall quality of the imported 223?

There is some 223 being imported from foreign manufacturers, how does that stuff compare to domestic made?

The stuff I am looking for, it needs to be reliable and constant. My AR15 is a defense weapon, and I have no intentions on using it for hunting.

If I want to go hunting, I will grab my 280/7mm express or my 308.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The only way to know if the foreign ammo will work is to buy a small amount and run it through your weapon. I, personally, don't see anything wrong with WPA or Silver Bear for range ammo - it's cheap and some reviewers have had over 1,000 rounds without a FTF or FTE. I've also seen other reviews where they had 7/20 rounds FTF. The one thing I have read in common is to keep a well lubed rifle if shooting the "dirty" ammo like WPA, etc...

For stock piling ammo for the possible coming of a SHTF scenario, I would be sure to have a separate pile of ammo that you truly trust. Dealing with failures on the range is annoying but not a big deal. At the range you should be focusing on your shooting technique; in fact having to deal with failures at the range will better you in the advent your life is one day on the line and you have to recover from a failure.

When it comes to the OP I would keep an eye out for the bulk Federal and American Eagle 420 round cans that come as stripper clips. I've seen the price from $150-189. Not the best price in the world on a per round basis, but overall I think it's a good value and I have read nothing but very positive results from those ammo cans.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Go with reputable bulk manufacturers for your stock pile. Prvi (PPU), Winchester, Lake City, or even Wolf(I know..I know....) are all good. AIM, Wideners, CDNN, Ammoman, SG Ammo, and many others have good prices. You should look up a wide variety of suppliers and get on their mailing list for specials and deals. Watch who has what, compare apples to apples, and go from there. Dont buy from an online distributor from your state or you will be charged sales tax. Also compare shipping costs as that could make or break deal for a better price per round sale. AIM seems to have higher shipping costs then other places ive found. Break the price down to per round cost. If your patient and do your homework you should be able to buy LC X193 for around $.32-.39 per round shipped.

A useful resource: http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.223_Remington_5.56x45mm

-Nate

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Cabela's with their ammo sales is about the best so far... Sometimes you can get a good deal at Sportsman Guide, SOMETIMES.
Has to be on one of their shipping sale deals...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've had no problems with PMC (S. Korean) or Prvi (Serbian). Prvi, I've only used their 5.56 offerings; with PMC I've shot both their .223 and 5.56. No chrono data but I'd say their .223 is a little weak (but not to the point of short stroking or any reliability problems) while their 5.56 seems to be a touch on the hot side.

No experience with the Russian stuff. I stick to brass cased for the AR and past the two listed above just stick to Federal/LC

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts

There is some 223 being imported from foreign manufacturers, how does that stuff compare to domestic made?

The stuff I am looking for, it needs to be reliable and constant. My AR15 is a defense weapon, and I have no intentions on using it for hunting.

If I want to go hunting, I will grab my 280/7mm express or my 308.
My particular AR eats whatever I feed it, I get a box or two if I am curious about a brand and go test it out. Then stock it if there are no problems.

Reactions: kev

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
The shipping costs (unless there is a shipping deal), often kills any online deals - for me.

I found (er.....my wife found) a place - right in town, that has better prices than the online deals with the shipping costs.

Now I go there instead of trying to find an online deal.
I get to support a local business, plus get ammo at a great deal = :thumb:

·
Locked & Loaded
555 Posts
I deal with ammoman also. A good seller. I bought the Lake City 420ct that came with an ammo can. It is 5.56 M855 Green tip penetrators. That is one of the cans I keep socked away for hard times and don't touch.

I have a few of the Federal 100ct boxes of .223 from WalMart and they are fine too.

American Eagle is good ammo but a little more pricey from WalMart in my area.

I would love to support a local gun shop buy they mark up their ammo so much it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BVAC

I have run 600+ rounds of BVAC (55gr, 62gr,70gr - hp, fmj) through my weapon with 0 (I mean 0 FTF, FTE issues). I will search out Bitterroot valley ammo. Brass cased new or reloaded it all works well. Average price, not real good, but not real bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts