Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my lovely wife decided to present me with Divorce papers on new years and for the last few days I've been doing nothing but packing, that is until I remembered all the preping I've been doing. She was never on board with me in the first place and thought I was a little off for trying to get prepared. My question is simple, who gets the preps Me or Her??

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
How much preps are we talking? If its some rice and beans, go for it. If it's PM's and Barret .50's,the court is gonna get their say.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I would sell all of it to my best friend or closest family member (for a nominally low price). Wink Wink. They cant take what doesnt exist. Sell it now while you are married, and not actually in negotiations, then she cant say you did it to stop her from getting it. Then after it is sold, give her 50% of the money and make her fill out the receipt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry for your situation.:eek::If she was never on board then I would think they were yours to do whatever with. You wouldn't want her makeup and cosmetics so why would she give you grief over preps? If she does make a stink then give her the crappy stuff and you keep the good stuff. Good Luck.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Sell it all to "Charlie" at work because you need the "cash" to help cover the lawyer to review the divorce papers.

Tell "Charlie" he can store the stuff at your "BOL" or other storage area until he can get his own set up, because you two are such buds and all...

On another note, first, sorry for your current situation.

Second, I'd suggest you put some OPSEC into play here. If you have discussed your plans, where with what etc you might want to consider addressing those plans now. Further, should you now find yourself in a shtf scenario not only does she know what you might do whoever else she knows will know thus compromising your situation.

Hate to sound callous but you might want to consider this, to me it is a serious security issue if you have shared all of it.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sell it all to "Charlie" at work because you need the "cash" to help cover the lawyer to review the divorce papers.

Tell "Charlie" he can store the stuff at your "BOL" or other storage area until he can get his own set up, because you two are such buds and all...

On another note, first, sorry for your current situation.

Second, I'd suggest you put some OPSEC into play here. If you have discussed your plans, where with what etc you might want to consider addressing those plans now. Further, should you now find yourself in a shtf scenario not only does she know what you might do whoever else she knows will know thus compromising your situation.

Hate to sound callous but you might want to consider this, to me it is a serious security issue if you have shared all of it.

Fortunately for me she was never up for discussions concerning SHTF scenarios. She's really clueless when it comes to that topic, well most topics.
She and her whole damn family fall into the sheeple category. It's really amazing to me how I was able to tolerate her and her family for as long as I did cause I've been this way for more than 30 yrs now. WOW just thinkin about it and them makes me realize what mental midgets they really are. As far as locations for BOL's I have several, some she knows about and some she don't. The food preps I've done all on my own which consists of about three months worth. I don't think selling the food preps would be good, we're to close to SHTF, even if I just get half I think I'll be fine with that but I can't really see her jumpin for joy over can and stored food. The weapon's? well they were taken care of before the papers and I'll refer to the previous name calling and say the mental midget dose'nt even know what I have.

·
531 Posts
I don't think selling the food preps would be good, we're to close to SHTF
I believe that's a "wink, wink" type scenario they're talking about. As in you've got a close friend that'll "buy" them "wink, wink" until the process has run it's course.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Just last month you were "allowed" to buy some canned food and things were all well and good. If you don't mind, what the heck happened within a months time that your 15+ year marriage went sour?

I've heard the divorce line come from some of my friends and family members many times before, mostly its just a temper tantrum that gets ugly and lingers for a bit. Is this the real deal or do you think your marriage is over?

There is an expression that goes "its cheaper to keep her" however this could be a new lease on life for you if you make the best of it.

As for the preps, I'd do what I thought would be fair. Canned goods aren't something that really needs to be nitpicked over, they aren't sentimental and when you replace them with new ones the shelf life is longer :)

I'd keep my firearms by any means. They are mine and I wouldn't budge on them or the car I came into the marriage with. If you have preps like a generator or things she wouldn't use or know what to do with then that should be a no-brainer that you should take it. However I've heard of some ugly splits (particularly when lawyers get involved) where all things get a dollar value assessed and things are split accordingly. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would just make it all disappear to a convienent storage facility when no one was looking. If she wasn't on board with helping, she won't know exactly what you had in the first place. Big thing is to keep your spirits up and don't let it get you down.

·
531 Posts
Just last month you were "allowed" to buy some canned food and things were all well and good. If you don't mind, what the heck happened within a months time that your 15+ year marriage went sour?

I've heard the divorce line come from some of my friends and family members many times before, mostly its just a temper tantrum that gets ugly and lingers for a bit. Is this the real deal or do you think your marriage is over?
Well man, I'd say this:
So my lovely wife decided to present me with Divorce papers on new years
Says she's pretty well far down the path at this point. But, I gueslike they told me when I went through with it, it's not final until the judge signs the final papers. But, if she's gone that far with it, that's a lot of damage caused and would be an extremely tough road to make a U turn on.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Says she's pretty well far down the path at this point. But, I gueslike they told me when I went through with it, it's not final until the judge signs the final papers. But, if she's gone that far with it, that's a lot of damage caused and would be an extremely tough road to make a U turn on.
True. I figured this however I don't know magfed556, his wife or any of the reasons for the split. I know of some couples that suffer from this type of crap and yet they still seem to linger on.

All the same I hope the best for Magfed556 and his family.

·
531 Posts
True. I figured this however I don't know magfed556, his wife or any of the reasons for the split. I know of some couples that suffer from this type of crap and yet they still seem to linger on.
Very true. I'll say this much, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and my divorce was about as amicable as they come. My ex asked for the divorce. Once it was done and over, she realized the problems we were having were more of her own doing than anything else. I tried to explain to her that she was going to be shocked when she got her own place and all the things she blamed on me magically followed her to her new place. Didn't take long for her to realize what I told her would come true. Her unhappiness with her self esteem, dishonesty, responsibility with bills, inability to keep from messing up the place (I'm borderline neat freak, she's a slob), etc. Not saying I didn't do my part in the failure of the marriage. I'd be a horrible hypocrite if I did. But, the difference in us was, I knew what my mistakes were and was willing to change and compromise. She didn't and couldn't. In the end, it turned out I was happier with the divorce than she was. By the time she became self aware and was willing to change, the door was closed.

All the same I hope the best for Magfed556 and his family.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

BTW magfed, if you need to talk or vent, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Funny, my ex blamed me too for all her ills. And, after she left...all those problems followed her and, my life has been gravy ever since.
Equally funny is how I was living paycheck to paycheck and not making it...and as if by magic she left and all the bills are paid and the kids...who I have custody of...all have everything they need now.
Just goes to show you how ONE person in your life can manage to foul everything up and then leave you better off when they're gone.
Magfed, I think this is a blessing in disguise for you too.
Good luck!

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Offcourse it's hard to judge your situation over the internet, because we can't know all the complexities. But if I were you, I'd (let anybody) stash the most important preps somewhere at your BOL or your home.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Magfed, I feel for ya. I truly do. Don't know how your preps are set up and am not asking. BUT if it is a combo of long term in buckets and/or dehydrated and she is either unaware or didn't care, I would make sure I got them. either by temporarily renting a storage unit or placing them in someones care I trust.

I would probably have to write the canned goods off. As stated earlier, by rebuilding, you will have fresher expiration dates. :)

Glad you won't have issues over the guns/ammo too :)

Side note: My g/f and I (11 years +/-) have been in agreement about preps. We were sitting outside today after grilling lunch (yeah it was 70+ today, shorts and no shirt weather) and got to talking about guns and preps.
She lamented the fact we didn't have more of XYZ caliber.

I didn't realize and I don't think she did either, til I mentioned it, but over the last 18 months I have bought for HER a 30-30, 10/22, mossburg 12ga w/collapsable stock, and a snake charmer 410, to match what I already had for ME cuz she liked them.

If she ever leaves, I already know these guns are GONE. Not to mention a 9mm and a marlin 22 rifle, sks and a 38. I did this just in case she ever has to get by without me (death/leaves/whatever).

I may miss the extra firepower, but I know she will at least have something.

Maybe I am crazy...I dunno.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Just a thought, but she may end up reading this thread and using it in court. I believe it is frowned upon to hide assets in a divorce using sham transactions.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts