Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a post SHTF scenario you may not be able to trust many people. Strangers, those you thought were friends, neighbors may rat you out due to envy or steal from you for a crust of bread may all be suspect. You’ll need to keep a low profile, watch your back and know who to trust.

Crime is up over 5000% all over the country, they can't even keep up with the statistics. Even cops and other uniformed persons are looting in the big cities and smaller towns. It's total anarchy. So you’re bugging in. You have planned ahead and are quite prepared. Four different people come to your door with their own story. Three of these are harmless and are sincere in their efforts and have true stories. One of these is a liar and thief planning to rob you and possibly do you harm. His story may contain a little truth, but there is one glaring, blatant lie in his story. Can you spot the lie and avoid the con?

1) The Politician - A 50’ish year old man with a pot belly comes to the door of your small house in the country. He says he used to be a politician, a state senator, but due to national breakdown, the senate wasn’t in session and is traveling back to his hometown in his big black Caddilac SUV. He talks politely, is very charming, smiles a lot and is wearing a black belt with brown shoes. He says his hobby has been collecting and finding old rare coins. He has three valuable coins to trade to you for some food. Food to help out he and his wife. (He’d been dumpster diving in town and found some empty boxes of Mountain House foods with you address on them. So that’s how he found your house) He says these three coins are in his car under the flat screen tv he had gotten out of his office, but wanted to describe them to see if there was any interest in them before actually showing them.

One coin he found down on a Mexican coast is a Spanish doubloon made of gold, with a date of 1808 and weighs almost 1 full ounce he says. There’s a picture of a George Washington looking man on the front. The coin he says is about and inch and a half in diameter. He says this coin, with the price of gold now at $2000, is worth at least that much because of its rarity and almost being an ounce of gold.
The second coin he bought on ebay years ago is a 1880 Morgan silver dollar with a little CC on the back. It is in a holder that has been graded by some national service at Mint State 64. He figures the value at about $1000 since it’s so rare and is MS64. Silver has reached $90 an ounce now.
The third coin he also found, is some kind of Roman coin made of pure gold, dated 57 b.c., only about 1/5 of an ounce of gold, with a picture of Caesar and the words Caesar on the front. He thinks it’s probably worth about $1000 too.
He’d heard from your neighbors that you had some long shelf life food and liquor and wants to trade any coin for 12 cans of dehydrated food and a bottle of Scotch. He winks and smiles as he mentions the Scotch.

2) The Preacher - A man walks up to your door, holding the Bible under one arm and a much smaller book in his other hand. He says he is a man of God and is in need of some food to provide for his wife and 3 children. They are waiting, he says, a half mile down the road. The man is dressed in a black soiled suit, white shirt and black string tie. You can tell he hadn’t had a bath in awhile. In his conversation to you, he keeps saying ‘praise Jesus’ and ‘I love Jesus’. He has a noticeable tic, where he keeps shrugging his shoulder and sort of winking with his left eye.
He says he has a very rare copy of a lost book of the Bible written in Greek about 120 years after the life of Jesus. The book is called the book of Thomas and is about the childhood years of Jesus. He says it contains one story of how Jesus at about age 10, was accused of pushing a friend of his off a roof and killing him. So Jesus brought the boy back to life so the boy could tell everyone that Jesus didn’t do this, that it was just an accident. Another story tells how when Joseph, Jesus’s Father, was doing carpentry work, wanting to cut a board exactly in half, cut one board a little shorter. But that piece was too short to use. So Jesus laid his hands on the board and stretched it to the same length as the other board. Another story, the man says, tells when Jesus was about 5, made sparrows out of clay and the birds flew away. The Preacher says this lost book of the Bible will be an inspiration and explain many wonderful miracles Jesus did when he was a boy. He’d heard from your neighbors that you had dehydrated food and wants a donation of one #10 can each of rice and chicken, beef stew, chicken ala king, and blueberry/oats breakfast for his wife and kids.

3) The Miracle Doctor - A 70’ish year old man with white hair and safari looking hat has knocked on your door. . The man called himself Dr. Humble and said he used to be a gold prospector of sorts and inventor. Dr. Humble says he had been traveling the world helping people, mostly in Africa and South America, curing mostly malaria wherever he went. He just happen to be in the US WTSHTF. He’d like to trade you his miracle cure for a gallon of water and some food, as he’d overheard at a local Jr. Food stores from several people that you had plenty. This so called miracle cure had only become known to the public since 2007, but this Doctor had cured 100,000 people all over the world from malaria, hepatitus and other ailments. They’d been cured in one day, he said, from malaria but other sicknesses took a bit longer. It would also cure many cancers, herpes, asthma, athlete’s foot, hepatitis A,B,C, sinus troubles, anthrax, chronic fatique, prostate troubles, Lyme’s disease, and many other maladies brought on by bacteria, viruses, fungus, or any other types of microbes. It was as close to a panacea as the world had ever known the Doctor said. He had 2 small bottles that would last 1 year, that he’d trade for the water and food. With all new types of mutating viruses in this new world, he humbly claimed that this would be a good thing to have around. It’d also, of course, treat water so that it would be safe to drink. The stuff was called MMS. The man DID have a humble demeanor.

4)
The Deputy Sheriff - Your dog barks from inside your house and causes you to look out your window. You see a mid twenties looking man leaning a rifle against your tree 30 yard away. He looks like he’s wearing a legitimate deputy sheriff’s shirt with a badge. He’s wearing a revolver. He knocks on your door and holds his hands up and says “hello Mam/Sir” The deputy tells you he’d just been to Walmart but the shelves were cleaned of any ammo. He’d been told by the cute young girl there that she’d seen records that you had bought ammo here many times. That indeed, you’d bought a lot of 357 ammo. He carefully takes his left hand and gently takes out his 8 shot Smith and Wesson revolver and shows you that it’s empty and that he has NO ammo left on his person or at home. He needs some ammo for protection of his wife and small child and will trade you his Remington 700 LSS mtn. 30-06 rifle for 10 boxes of 357 and some food and water if you have it. He claims he has no 30-06 rounds either so the rifle is useless to him. The Deputy says he’d been ‘let go’ prior to TSHTF when a new sheriff had been elected and that he always figured he could get plenty of ammo from the sheriff’s department. Looking through your locked security door, you could smell beer on the deputy.

Ok, how’s your 6th sense, knowledge and ability to spot the liar? All stories and info is or can be true, but there is one BIG LIE in there. That's how you will spot the con man, by catching the big lie in the story.

So as to not give it away immediately and to give everyone else a chance at it, PM me your guesses/answers. Please do not put your guess on the thread here. You can make cracks and jokes and your thinking, but PM any attempts at the answer. (I'll post the answer in a few days)

Who is the liar and why?

·
Registered
850 Posts
If the society was in that bad of a situation, I'd be even 10 times more paranoid/aggressive to anyone who came to my front door than I am now.

As soon as they started with their tale of woe they'd be told to F off. And if they didn't leave, I'd pull out a firearm to encourage them to do so.

Nobody would get my address from a dumpster because I use a P.O. Box for all my mail, and I sure as hell wouldn't go around blabbing to my neighbours about all the freeze dried food I have stored up.

Most of these situations would not happen to any member on this forum, they know better.

·
Banned
653 Posts
The Politician - Shot on sight and looted for whatever he is carrying. Why? Because he is part of the problem that caused the total breakdown of society in the first place and he's committing the fashion fo pa of wearing a black belt with brown shoes.

The Preacher- I'd tell him I'm some other religion then he is ordered to leave, at gunpoint if needed.

The Miracle Doctor- Obvious fraud, shoot him in the arm for trespassing then tell him "you're a "miracle doctor", go heal it."

The Deputy Sheriff- Most believable, still wouldn't trust him, but why is he out and not protecting his wife and why does he have a uniform on if he was fired?

Furthermore, if you get past the gate, over the fence, past the booby traps, by the dog and to the front door, we're gonna have issues. If TSHTF or it's TEOTWAWKI I'm bugging in and turning my property into a fortified firebase b/c I have nowhere else to go.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Trust no one...

Especially those that want something from you.

In Post-SHTF you trust your family, and/or your very closest of friends, and/or your MAG.

You certainly don't trust those that come to your home looking to take your stuff with a sob story.

You keep your preps to yourself in the first place. And you DON'T trade your food.

(At least this is how I operate even pre-shtf...)

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
five THOUSAND percent? Someone's not dealing with a math degree here.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Good answers so far...

boy george and penny have good wisdom.
535 is funny with his fo po comment.
watcher and sweeper, so PM me the lie if you think that's the guy.
Mama Bear does not speak with forked tongue. :thumb:
truthseeker would usually be correct but dig deeper.

Nobody has PM's me the correct answer though.

http://www.bibleufo.com/anomlostbooks98.htm
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/530103904/m/3461065352

man i like this one... wish i had one. http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/627-8shot.jpg

·
under prepared patriot
333 Posts
id guess the preacher but they all seemed shifty to me. You think the preacher would want to inspire with the book himself.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yessir, i agree they're all pretty suspicious, but all are sincere except the one liar. He let one little detail slip. Which as Watcher said, shows he's a con and trying to deceive you and plans to take you out.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, several have informed me Spanish Doubloons don't reach an ounce. I just found some webpage that said they did, so it must have been in error. Ruby, et al.

But there is ONE glaring lie in there somewhere, that ANYONE could spot, IF
they are sharp and a good thinker.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts