Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Layman
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone one the forum hunt whitetail with 5.56 or .223?

if so how many deer have you killed and how many have gotten away?

just curious. I may consider getting one.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
Does anyone one the forum hunt whitetail with 5.56 or .223?

if so how many deer have you killed and how many have gotten away?

just curious. I may consider getting one.
Be sure to check your game laws.

Example: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/

Caliber Specific Question: http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/1...use+my+.223+to+hunt+deer+in+Washington+State?

In many states it is illegal to hunt large game with .223 caliber.

In others its allowed. We've had wardens stop us at a checkpoint and inspect all our rifles and ammunition. They take it seriously.

·
Layman
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be sure to check your game laws.

Example: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/

In many states it is illegal to hunt large game with .223 caliber.

In others its allowed. We've had wardens stop us at a checkpoint and inspect all our rifles and ammunition. They take it seriously.
There are no caliber restrictions in SC for harvesting deer on private land
(http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/faqsdeer.html#11)

saying that I want to make a clean kill on a deer. Without having to take headshots.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts

saying that I want to make a clean kill on a deer. Without having to take headshots.
Sloth,

Take a look at something like this then:

http://www.impactguns.com/sig-716-p...16in-20-rnd-pmag-r716-16b-p-798681421398.aspx

It's a nice Sig rifle in .308 caliber, would work great for deer, but also would work great as a SHTF rifle. Worth your consideration, I would think.

G.

·
100% AMERICAN
324 Posts
:D:Well to start with, this is Survivalistboards.com, not the Texas Trophy Hunter.
Which scenario are you looking at?
Seriously, I've probably killed a dozen or so deer in the last 20 years with a .223. I only load a Hornady #2265 55gr sp for hunting ANYTHING. works great. Too many people only shoot FMJ or varmint bullets. Never had any trouble and never lost one. You just gotta remember it ain't a long range setup.

·
Layman
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D:Well to start with, this is Survivalistboards.com, not the Texas Trophy Hunter.
Seriously, I've probably killed a dozen or so deer in the last 20 years with a .223. I only load a Hornady #2265 55gr sp for hunting ANYTHING. works great. Too many people only shoot FMJ or varmint bullets. Never had any trouble and never lost one. You just gotta remember it ain't a long range setup.
shooting 100 yards on average, and being able to use the rifle as a SHTF rifle as well as hunting rifle.

My hesitation on the 5.56 is that I can't see owning a rifle that I can't hunt with.

I currently have an m1a but I want something my girlfriend can use... I also like the cheap ammo.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
I'm glad you're so successful, and wish you continued success.

That doesn't change the fact that - at least until after Armageddon happens - its still illegal to hunt with .223 in some states; the game wardens enforce those laws vigorously; and if you get caught not only do you lose your hunting privileges but you also pay a large fine and can lose your truck, rifles, etc. depending on what game was taken illegally, when, and where.

So until the Rapture happens, Zombies start crawling out of the Metro, or you see several large mushroom clouds on the distant horizon, it's still decent advice for someone who wants to hunt deer with a .223 to find out whether its legal or not where they live.

IMHO, of course. :thumb:

·
Registered
256 Posts
5.56 and .223 are devastating with head/neck shots and the heart/lung shots, well placed, work, too. While I was living in Missouri taking whitetails with this caliber was legal so long as you used soft point ammunition.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used a mini-14 for close to 20yrs. (till invention of the internet found out they wasn't very accurate) killed 3-4+ every year used rem 55 gr.hp most dropped in their tracks, shot one across clear cut 150+ yrds. it ran about 30 yards. before collapsing took all shots in heart lung area all legal in my state of mind.

·
100% AMERICAN
324 Posts
I'm glad you're so successful, and wish you continued success.

That doesn't change the fact that - at least until after Armageddon happens - its still illegal to hunt with .223 in some states; the game wardens enforce those laws vigorously; and if you get caught not only do you lose your hunting privileges but you also pay a large fine and can lose your truck, rifles, etc. depending on what game was taken illegally, when, and where.

So until the Rapture happens, Zombies start crawling out of the Metro, or you see several large mushroom clouds on the distant horizon, it's still decent advice for someone who wants to hunt deer with a .223 to find out whether its legal or not where they live.

IMHO, of course. :thumb:

The OP asked for experience and results, not legal stats and advice. I answered to the best of my ability based on experience without changing the subject......I'm bad about doing that. :thumb:

+1 on Belair56's view on head shots!!

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts

Then go .308 or .30-06. Even a .30-30 would be a better choice...

Simple.

And invest some money on getting a proper hunting round. No one wants to eat hematoma. And cutting good meat really is a waste. Especially if one can avoid/minimize the problem by using proper caliber and propoer ammo.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Here's what I got concerning 223 and whitetail deer hunting.

Rifle : Remington model 7

Load: 223 62gr soft tip (reloads)

Target: An Ozark 8 point buck

Distance: About 30ft with a full on shot right thru his heart from elevated angle of about 15ft.

Other: He just trotted off about 50 or so yds before falling over. That was the end of him.

Note: This deer had been shot previously thru both hind legs, upon closer examination...... with what appeared to be a 30cal of some kind that did not leave much of an exit wound.

Note: I don't know if the laws are the same now as they were then, but IOT use .223 for legal deer hunting then, the bullet needed to be 60gr minimum, and could not be FMJ.

Next........

Rifle : Ruger Mini14

Load: .223 62gr soft tip (reloads)

Distance: Est at 50 to 80 feet. ( I was stalking a doe and was on the ground in heavy brush near the MO/AR state line.)

Other: 3 rds fired, all 3 hit her broadside in the sweet spot before she trotted off.

Note: About 2 minutes later, I heard my buddy fire twice. ( Marlin Mod 94 30/30)

Note: Never seen her again. No blood, nothing. No body to confirm where she was hit, so this may not give you enough to go on concerning caliber.

Here is a suggestion however.

If the idea is to save money for a caliber that your girlfriend can hunt with, 7.62x39mm would most likely cost less.....( Cheap FMJ for her to get acquainted with, and cheap soft point ammunition for the hunt.)

If possible, get her behind a Mini14, then let her try out a Mini30. Similar manual of arms as your M1A, and gives her a chance to directly compare the difference in felt recoil of 2 different calibers (223/7.62x39mm) in virtually the same rifle.

IMO...... The Mini30 would make for a decent 100yrd deer rifle, and also for if TSHTF.

EDIT: An example of 7.62x39mm 123gr JHP.... (28 cents per rd.)
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/category/7620/762x39-RIFLE-AMMUNITION.html

11B

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Any centerfire round is legal to hunt deer in Florida. For me personally, the .223 has always seemed a bit on the light side, but I have a first cousin who hunted with a Remington Model 788 in .223 for years. He killed a train load of deer and wild hogs and even a couple of turkeys with it.

Shot placement is critical, so you have to be willing to practice until you can be absolutely certain you can put the bullet where you want it. If you hit him right with the .223, it will take him. If you miss with a .300 Magnum, he'll keep walking.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I shot and killed a deer with my ar15 in 556.

I shot a Winchester 64 grain power point round at it from roughly 80 yards.

The round when right through the deer with an exit hole slightly smaller than my thumb. It ran about 30 yards and fell over dead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There seem to be a ton of debate over this, from personal experience 223 is a decent round for deer hunting. SHOT PLACEMENT IS KEY!!!!! It's that way with any round, let's all be realistic. Hell, in my neck of the woods all the old timers use 22mag while I was growing up, neck shot drops them dead in their tracks.

·
10,548 Posts
That Why I have a Heavy Barrel. If I had to, I could make Head Shots on Deer at 50yds. I did'nt get out to Hunt Last Year, as my Neighbor is Logging my Woods for me and Helpling me build a Cabin and dig a new Well in return.
It will continue through this year, so this Season is out too, unless I get invited on a Hunt.
I practice with 32oz. Gatorade Bottles, filled with Water, out to 50yds. with my AR. Due to cost, I've always had to run 55gr. Federal Bulk, that used to be readily available at Walmart. I can consistantly hit them 100% of the Time now, so that is what I consider my Maximum Hunting Range. Deer around here are usually small, but my strategy is to make a Headshot. I've nailed Feral Cats at 40yds. with my Clark Barreled 10-22, so I'm confident that with the Load I'm shooting, I could take Deer. I only own 13.5 Acres, which makes it that much more important that I make sure the Deer drops immidiatly, and does not run and end up in my Neighbors Land. If I have to kill something, it is going to be Clean, or I will not do it. Call me Humane, that's just they way it should be. Honor the Animal by making it as painless as possible.;)

1 - 20 of 123 Posts