Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 I bought either 22 or 24 chicks, a feral cat killed just about all of the them. The first ones to go missing were the white leghorns.

Late January 2017 I bought 6 leghorns, 3 delawares and 3 silver laced wyandottes.

At around 7 weeks old I moved them from the small chicken house out to the large house and flock.

A week later one of the leghorns is dead, while the others are not looking good.

Delawares are looking ok and the silver laced wyandottes look the best.

I doubt I will be buying any more leghorns. They do not seem to be very hardy and are rather small.

The chicken house is 16 x 16 foot, chicken yard is around a 1/2 acre and they get to free range. There is plenty of room, the hoopers have feed in them, the chicks have access to water.

I just not understand what the problem is? I wanted to up my egg production so I bought some leghorns. Now I am wondering if they are suited for farm life?

I have not had this problem with the dual purpose heritage breeds. Rhode island reds, buff orpington, australorp,,, never have problems like this. Rarely do I lose a chick that is 2 months old.

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
I have always had White Leghorns and wouldn't want any other breed. Although I buy other breeds because my daughter prefers them because of their pretty colors. :)
But my WL always produce and I don't believe any has died due to illness. They are rather "skittish" or nervous but that's ok because I got them for their egg production.
NectarNook had a good point too.

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
Did your leghorn die suddenly or did it act sickly for a few days? If you can give a few details around how they are acting or what leads you to think the others are not looking good. ie: puffed up feathers, leaky vent, mites, crooked neck, breathing with its mouth open, etc.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your leghorn die suddenly or did it act sickly for a few days? If you can give a few details around how they are acting or what leads you to think the others are not looking good. ie: puffed up feathers, leaky vent, mites, crooked neck, breathing with its mouth open, etc.
One day not running around, next day dead.

It died last night and it was buried next to a fig tree.

I can not remember the last time a 2 month old chick died. Usually, if they make it the first 24 - 48 hours they do good.

·
Prepared Homesteader
131 Posts
I've got cross breeds that we've raised from random crossing of California White (a leghorn/barred rock cross), Black Jersey Giant and Barred Rocks. We get an occasional attractive gray bird but the most impressive are the white Hans with a few black speckles that keep showing up. They're big, seem to be hardy, and lay plenty of large white eggs.

This is the latest hatching - 4 black, 3 white and 2 gray.

Attachments

·
Tedious Gasbag
703 Posts
I feel your pain.
There is just two of us here, so we have (HAD) a dozen chickens and a couple of ducks for eggs.
We are down to six chickens now, as we have been targeted by a local **** clan as a convenient diner... killed THREE the other night. We live in the city, but one of these nights (hopefully soon) there is going to be a mystery shotgun blast resonating throughout the 'hood.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
They went missing or died via the cat? After owning many many breeds of chickens theres only three that i would do again. Black copper Marans or barred rocks..and cornish cross. Black copper because there egg size/color and value of the chicks/hatching eggs. Barred rock because there huge birds and have large eggs. Cornish cross because there fat sloppy bastards...

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
Its great timing that this post was brought back up. I got a new batch of chicks and the order was from Cackle Hatchery (it's located in MO). I got a rainbow pullets special which is a mixture of brown, white, and blue egg layers. They sent me some chicks called Austra White. I know Kev you have been partial to Australorps and this is a cross between that and a white leghorn. They are a white chicken with black spots. Might be something to consider next time your in the market for more chicks and want to try leghorns again. I have brown leghorns already and those are the most skittish/flighty birds I've got. Its probably great for having them if you have issues with predators, but not completely fool proof as others have probably mentioned. From what I read about the Austra White is the cross is supposed to give you a more calm chicken that lays lots of eggs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts