Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many different posts (and when you google it you find many different answers) about this, some say yes, some say, maybe, some say used to be.

Others have said they have called and were told yes (no offense, but I'd rather see for myself).

I've stopped at 5 different Wal-marts on a recent road trip - from New York to South Carolina, and all of the buckets were the same Encore Plastic Buckets. I'm assuming that Wal-mart carries this brand in all the stores (at least for the East Coast).

http://www.e-encore.com/FAQPails.html

From their website, it states that they are food grade. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,168 Posts
That's what I had heard also. I'm glad you verified it. I know the orange ones from Lowe's are not food grade. So it's good to know of an easily available source of them for the folks who can't get them from bakeries and such.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Really, Capt. Obvious?

My question was more related to purchasing them or if they were refuse from process in the bakery at Walmart.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's what I had heard also. I'm glad you verified it. I know the orange ones from Lowe's are not food grade. So it's good to know of an easily available source of them for the folks who can't get them from bakeries and such.
Just use a Home Depot Bucket with a Mylar Bag !!! ???

·
Forum Administrator
16,848 Posts
Yes, I have all food grade buckets from EE. But what is the advantage if you're using mylar?
I think people forget that food grade buckets are used by bakers (for example) where the flour is just dropped into the bucket; as compared to storing the food in mylar bags and then putting the bags in the bucket.

A buddy of mine brought up an interesting point, the plastics used in the bucket might be food grade, but did the bucket go through a food grade manufacturing process? Where the bucket was made, did they follow food grade quality controls?

·
My BOV is gluten-free...
919 Posts
I JUST bought two of these today and was wondering about them. Can't tell you how appreciative I am that you posted this information.

For those who are wondering about cost, they were about $2.50 for the bucket and around a dollar for the lid. (Too lazy to walk down and look at my receipt). Mine were in the paint section as well.

Here's my next question: would one of the gamma seal lids work? I am assuming but I'm pinching pennies so I hate to order them unless I know.

Thank you, OP!

BQ

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
If nobody speaks up and tells you yes or no in the next hour or so, measure the inner and outer diameter at the lid and I'll compare to some I know fit the Gamma Seal lids.

·
67,168 Posts
Just use a Home Depot Bucket with a Mylar Bag !!! ???
You can. But are you sure you will never need to use that bucket for gathering water, fermenting saurkraut, making pickles, etc? Non food grade buckets can be made from recycled plastic which could have held pesticides, fungicides or other nasty chemicals. I regularly use my buckets for all sorts of stuff like that already. I can imagine I'll continue to need them for that in the future.

·
67,168 Posts
Again guys, if you are using Mylar bags inside the bucket, it doesn't matter if it is food grade. Use the Walmart buckets, Home Depot... Doesn't matter.

Doginit
It does if you ever have to use that bucket for something later on relating to food or water. Are you absolutely sure you won't need to? If not, then any bucket will do.

·
67,168 Posts
Really, Capt. Obvious?

My question was more related to purchasing them or if they were refuse from process in the bakery at Walmart.
Wow, the post was pretty clear. Even more so once you read the link. I mean, if you got buckets from a BAKERY, wouldn't they tend to sorta be food grade anyway?

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
Wow, the post was pretty clear. Even more so once you read the link. I mean, if you got buckets from a BAKERY, wouldn't they tend to sorta be food grade anyway?
now now guys, leave him be. It was probably miller time when he posted that.

I just bought home depot buckets after reading that they were food grade. Now I am wondering again. Great. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Our HD had a sale on about two weeks ago. Buying by the dozen I think one of the DIL's (daughter-in-law's) got lids for and buckets for $4 a set. By all means stick your food stuffs in mylar bags, it lets you stick one bag each of five different grains, etc in each.

ISS

1 - 20 of 37 Posts