Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chick who posted it made her site private. I'll try to get her info somehow....

She made her own pads out of terry cloth and an old fuzzy (the ones that look fibrous, matted and felty straight out of the 70's) blanket. She stitched those two rectangles together and I guess one of those sides sticks to the velcro. Is there velcro? I don't even have one yet. Been spending money on survivalist stuff!

Here's some other ideas:

I hacked my Swiffer Wet Jet

For those interested.

Take your Swiffer Wet Jet Cleaning bottle, and submerge the cap in almost boiling water for one minute.
Wrap a towel around the cap (it will be hot!) to get a better grip and twist off.
Voila!
I am going to refill mine with Mr. Clean multi purpose cleaner, but I assume you could use homemade solutions as well.

Another Idea.

We quickly discovered that the bottles of cleaner were not meant to be re-filled, they have a lock-ring on the cap like some milk bottles, only this ring doesn't break away when you try and twist off the cap.....A hobby knife made quick work of it though, and now we have a bottle we can re-fill several times. There is a silicone rubber gasket that is pierced by a pair of blades in the mop head, so it will not last forever - but it looks to me like 20-50 re-uses are possible.

A load of tips.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
Just tried tip #2 and it worked. I can remove the top on my wifes swiffer wetjet bottle with no problems now.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I plan on changing out the handle for one piece of either aluminum or wood to strengthen it, and I already use cloth pads [I think they were shop rags] instead of the b.s. disposables.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the cheep, cheesey, fibrous blankets at Wal*Mart for $4 (I think it was) yesterday.

YOu could cut some cloths for the Swiffer and then give the rest to the dog for his bed or something.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Could you translate this into standard English, such add definitions. I read the entire thread and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Could you translate this into standard English, such add definitions. I read the entire thread and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Don't you own a Swiffer? They are a trendy item that every other woman in America now owns except me...

A Swiffer is a mop with an appetite for disposable, expensive refills that you have to purchase on a continual basis to keep the Swiffer working. The thread is for cheap people who do not want to buy new bottles (which are seemingly impossible to open) of Swiffer fluid and new disposable Swiffer pads. You can cut little rectangles of blanket material and toweling and sew them together and they will affix to the velcro on the Swiffer. Voila! Wash and reuse. Refill bottle with your own fluid. The links have many ideas on how to accomplish these things and how to make the fluid and hack or open the bottle. It is kind of a beating the system concept.

HTH.:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts