Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately I've been reading Mors Kochanski's "Bushcraft", watching a bunch of videos on the subject and also using my blades for woodworking, firewood preparation etc. I know that it takes a lot less effort to use a saw to cut down a tree than a straight-bladed implement, but you obviously can't split wood with a saw, so I started to wonder: If I were out in the woods long term and could have only two cutting tools for all outdoor wood preparation, one of them being a strong 4" fixed-blade, which would be better to have, an axe/hatchet/large knife (inc. kukris, machetes, leukus etc.) OR some kind of saw...

I've pretty much made up my mind about the subject, but which would YOU choose and why?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Axe Good for clearing large and small limbs off a tree allows splitting can be used as a maul or hammer if need be.
I'd also bring a hachet if the handle breaks it's hard to fix with only a knife and it can be used as a lighter hammer doesn't weigh or cost much. plus for small cores you don't have the weight to contend with
I know it goes past your request but I'd still bring the axe and make do or make/buy a few spare handles right away and have them around.

·
Hermit
150 Posts
Sawback machete is my blade of choice. It can easily cut down trees and do just about anything else aside from splitting. However, I don't really see myself ever needing to split pieces of wood so large that it would require an axe.

·
V
21,713 Posts
My personal choice is a Large Fixed blade (trialing my khukri when out atm) with a good folder (SAK Forester replaced Opinel No8).

So to clarify for me its Khukri and a Folder (multi tool)

Personally although the saw is more user friendly its not as versatile as an axe or large knife, I chose large knife over axe for several reasons cost being one portability, reliablity and versitility also. Other opinions will vary due to experiences but then thats why we're here :thumb:

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I'd go with a mid-sized axe but a sawback Machete' sounds like a pretty good idea. Two tools in one.

Reactions: texjen and bmatt

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
carry 3
a folder "winchester"
bayonet for my MBR
Cane knife- shorter and heavier blade than machette, con do some decent chopping

Reactions: bmatt

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My choice...

Thanks for the responses guys. When I go camping/hiking, I usually bring my trio: Mora No. 1, Opinel saw and leuku. If I were to be in the situation I described above (two cutting tools only, 4" fixed blade and one other), I would take the Mora and my Wetterlings LHA. Though my leuku is a fantastic chopper, the LHA is simply heavier and more powerful, reducing chopping time and effort. If it were long term, I would have to be processing lots of wood...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
No sense in limiting yourself to only two. I carry a decent fixed blade,like a Becker,and a small saw(Corona).If I figure I'll need an axe,I'll pack one along.I prefer the weight and length of a full size axe over a hatchet.You can always choke up on a full size axe to perform small tasks,but you can't make a hatchet do what a full length can do.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
IMHO, Saws are quicker and have more control in some tasks like shaping the actual cut. For example, if I need to cut a branch perfectly straight across(which is critical) in order to use it for the bottom of the main upright of a figure 4 trap which must be flat, I can make this straight or flat cut in only one quick cut with a saw. Can you do this with an axe? I don't know of any way to do this with an axe so efficiently.

Also, I think, a good saw is faster cutting through a thicker branch, rather than a small/med. axe, which I usually would carry also for other tasks. I don't see much need for a very large chopping axe because of weight and space. Also a small to med. axe can do almost everything a large one can except maybe quicker chopping of a larger tree, which is not so necessary, at least from my experience.

So there are many different tasks for axes vs. saws. Why exclude one?

I personally like a good 5" fixed blade knife(Helle Hunter), a good saw(Silke Sugoi) and a good med. sized axe(Wetterling Hunter or Gransfors).

P.S. Challenge: I'll gladly race anyone with my Silke Sugoi saw vs. your med. sized axe anyday on a 4-6" branch.:D::)

·
Registered
497 Posts
It was really just a hypothetical. If I were to be in the wild long term, I would take a Mora, Wetterlings LHA and some kind of saw.
I was kind of wondering about that I thought maybe it was a budget thing or a wife thing or something. I have an Axe Canadian tire special I have a hatchet my dad bought when he was a kid a frost Mora clipper knife (new) and a Canadian tire Bow saw. I've used them all and found that each has it's place in the kit for one reason or another. I need a new hatchet thought it got ran over by a garbage truck when I was ten man did I get tanned for that one and has never been the same. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was kind of wondering about that I thought maybe it was a budget thing or a wife thing or something. I have an Axe Canadian tire special I have a hatchet my dad bought when he was a kid a frost Mora clipper knife (new) and a Canadian tire Bow saw. I've used them all and found that each has it's place in the kit for one reason or another. I need a new hatchet thought it got ran over by a garbage truck when I was ten man did I get tanned for that one and has never been the same. :)
Nope, not a budget or wife thing. Just curious to see what people think.

·
Survivor
48 Posts
A katana would be my choice. But at $800 to $2500 for even a reasonably descent one, they aren't for everyone. I wish someone made a sawback machete out of the same steel, that would be my new choice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts