Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would feel a lot more comfortable if a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation was very quick with no doubts. Something like an EMP attack. Everybody is in the same boat and there is no denying what has happened. We are forced to deal with it. It would be easier for my mind to grasp.

I don't want what I'm sure will be the case. I slow bleed to death. A situation that just lingers on. We just get poorer and poorer. Nobody bugs out because there is no definite one thing that happens. I don't think this situation will be good on the psyche of the American people. I guess neither would be good.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
No person into Preparedness/Survival wants the end of the world as we know it experience. No one but a nut case would. I agree with Fountain2 that we have to use the time we have to get better prepared. A friend of mine back in Georgia told me once that he thought he was ready for it. To test his feelings, he cut off his water, electric, gas, cable etc. and then tried to make it through just a long weekend. It was a good way to find out all the things he had forgotten.

You still have time. Use it well.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I thought the point was to remain standing while everything else around you collapses.

Bugging out isn't the answer for everything. A slow steady decline in the economy gives one plenty of time to adapt to the changing times. Start weaning yourself off the consumer lifestyle and get into a more self reliant and frugal lifestyle. Repair clothes instead of buying new, start a garden, buy shoe laces and polish instead of new shoes, look into canning or dehydrating your own foods, get a few do it yourself books and a library card, hunting/fishing, etc...
But the number one way to prepare is to eliminate any debt you have accumulated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only thing I am concerned about is a return to fascism. Unfortunately, I think that's the way Europe and America are heading.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i hope its quick but it won't be. it will be slow.

if you know the say'n one fence. another fence. another fence. and now a gate? look i caught all the sheep by feeding them corn every day and adding just one side of the corral!

·
Feed Yourself
73 Posts
Surely a lingering malaise is more difficult for the mind and collective morale; however, as previous posts have noted, the possibility of succesfully adapting in the "slow burn" scenario is better than that of the "instant and widespread carnage" scenario. I cannot help but also cite the classic image of the frog in the pot: as heat is added gradually, the temperature rises so slowly that the poor frog does not realise he is being brought to a deadly boil. Although the frog has the ability to jump out of the pot and save its oily skin, its survival mechanism has been circumvented by incremental changes to its environment. Our reality can become similarily distorted...

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
look i caught survivialjug!!!

thats right budgetsurvivalist i'm in the fencing biz. :D:

One day a man went into a bar. he asked the patrons if this was the town that was next to the forest where there was a heard of wild boar "pigs".
the patrons all hunters said yes. the man a stranger to the town had heard of the wild boars and told the patrons that he had traveled a long ways to catch them. the bar patrons said you would never be able to catch them much less hunt them and that they are very deadly. they went on to say that many a life had been lost to the wild boar. the man paid them no heed. then one week 1 month later he returned to the bar to sell wild boar meat. astonished the patrons said well how did you do it how did you catch them boar?

the man said it was easy for the first week all i did was lay corn at the edge of the woods and the boar would come and eat the corn. then on the second week i would put up a 10 foot long fence and continued to lay corn by the fence every day. then 5 days later i added another 10 foot section at a 90 degree angle to the first and then kept putting corn in the corner of the to sections of fence. then 5 more days go by and i add another 10 foot section of fence. with all three sections of fence making a U shape but continued to put corn down everyday but now in the back of the u shaped fence. another week goes by and the man puts a 10 foot gate on the open end of the U but leaves it open. then puts a big pile of corn in the back of the corral. well this whole time the boar have gotten used to the corn every day and they had gotten used to the fence and the gate cause the corn was always there and the fence never tried to hurt them so the boar start to eat the corn but theres to much to eat at one time so they lay down and sleep.
the man who had built the corral waits for them to fall asleep and just walks up and shuts the gate. now being the proud owner of a big fat herd of wild boar.

complacency can be a B!Xch huh :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Surely a lingering malaise is more difficult for the mind and collective morale; however, as previous posts have noted, the possibility of successfully adapting in the "slow burn" scenario is better than that of the "instant and widespread carnage" scenario. I cannot help but also cite the classic image of the frog in the pot: as heat is added gradually, the temperature rises so slowly that the poor frog does not realize he is being brought to a deadly boil. Although the frog has the ability to jump out of the pot and save its oily skin, its survival mechanism has been circumvented by incremental changes to its environment. Our reality can become similarly distorted...
This is exactly how I feel as well. A creeping death may be preferable in the short run, But in the longer the transition takes, the longer the dark age. Humanity has the ability to overcome any challenge when it gets bad enough, the difficulty is in recognizing the problem is there and in not having become lethargic:sleep:.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Look at the bright side, we're beginning to experience deflation, and the up side to deflation is that prices go DOWN!!!! As long as you have a job and don't get a pay cut, you're dollar will go further!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts