Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Trollbait
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble deciding on what to choose for shotgunning this coming year. I've got an 18.5" Mossberg 500 12ga already. A few idea's I've been thinking about, are fullbore roundballs, fullbore slugs, and tri-ball loads. I'm not sure if I want to spend the 200 on a rifled barrel for the mossberg, spend 200 on a dedicated single shot slugger, or spend about 80 on a single shot and work up a pet load for the gun, whatever it shoots best.

Option 2 is adding a 410 to the collection, undecided on single or pump, and work on a deerslaying load for it. I've got all summer to work on various pet loads. The power isn't the problem with a 410 being capable, the accuracy of factory slugs and anemic weights, that hold it back from the rest. I'm thinking on a cylinder bore, with a .405-.408 bullet, in the 250 to 320gr weight.
I really want to try the 410 idea, if nothing else just to prove it can be a thumper if you reload your own.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions and ideas.

•Posted from a Blackberry•:thumb:

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I would just go with the second barrel for your mossberg.
The .410 slug i hear is about the same as a .45LC - yes it will take deer- but a 12ga slug would be far more dependable and effective for the purpose. Unless you really want another gun, i would go with the second barrel.
Also, you have the magazine on the mossberg- a single shot you are (obviously) limited to one at a time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
.410 slugs are anemic.

.410 slug standard load is 1/5 oz. That is only 90 grains @ 1200fps. My .380 w/+P will do that.

Personally, I would hunt down a cheap 12ga SS as a backup to the pump gun. Then go to Cabellas and buy a 20 ga chamber insert and a .410 chamber insert so you can use whatever ammo you come across in the SS.

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
If it were me given the choices you laid out, I'd pick up a second 500 with a choked barrel in whatever length you deem fit since your other 500 is an 18" smooth. With the right chokes you can shoot anything and that allows you more options. Rifled barrels are highly specialized and thus limiting. Same is true for a single shot. Why pay $200 for a barrel when you could pick up a second 500 for a few dollars more. That would give you both another shotgun and access to spare parts if circumstances ever called for it. But that's just me...

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
First check out .410 Society and then check out Hoening Big Bore South for .410 slugs...

Sure .410 has killed deer, lots of them but you're limiting yourself to 75 yd shots and pushing it to 100 yds at best...The groups indicated by the ammo maker above were down with a scoped rifle and firing from a bench not offhand in the heat of buck fever also using one of there super duper .410 barrels.

2 1/2" HBBS 410 Ga. 370 gr. Heavy Slug Load 1253 fps and 1,290 ft/lbs selling a Twenty round pack for $58.80 ($2.94 ea) plus UPS Ground Shipping.

Their slugs are by far the best out there for the .410 but the accuracy can only be achieved using their barrel on the T/C Contender expect far less with yours.

You want a slug gun then get a dedicated slug barrel for your existing shotgun, with proper sights and/or scope mounting abilities and buy cheaper slugs that will cause far more damage due to bullet mass and velocity being greater, e.g. Brenneke or PolyWad etc.

Check out Tar Hunt Shotguns and Lightfield Slugs for 12 bore slug info.

Better still get a deer rifle even if only a .30/30 Win lever action carbine--doubles your range, betters your accuracy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.