Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting yet another .22 caliber. People say that the Ruger 10/22 is one of the very best .22s on the market. The Mossberg line sounds good though.
What about the Marlin line? How accurate is the 10/22, it is semi-auto....

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
The 10-22 is the standard by which other .22's are judged. It is the most popular for good reason. If it were me thats the one I'd go with...

·
Registered
604 Posts
I love my grandmas old Marlin model 60 and it is more accurate then the 10/22. However, with all the after market products for the Ruger, especially high cap mags, it is the way to go.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the Marlin or the Ruger. My personal pick would be the Marlin 60, although I own all three!

Tbull:cool:

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
The Ruger 10/22, End of story. Even Wally World offers a good one- and its an exclusive to them- the K-10/22-22. Wood stock, 22 Inch Stainless barrel. with Scope rail, and that annoying California Locking device. My family has 3 of them. The 10/22 is the poor man's AR-15.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love my grandmas old Marlin model 60 and it is more accurate then the 10/22. However, with all the after market products for the Ruger, especially high cap mags, it is the way to go.

The 60 is more accurate, eh? Is it by a lot? What disadvantages and advantages of both, anyone know?

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
The 60 is more accurate, eh? Is it by a lot? What disadvantages and advantages of both, anyone know?
The 10/22 is plenty accurate. the 60 is slow to load- that darn tube magazine. 10/22 is more robust. Downside to the ruger- the trigger could be better. Nothing a good gunsmith couldn't fix tho. Beware of some aftermarket mags for the 10/22.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
My Kimber .22 is very accurate. Bolt action is natural and quick into action. Best rifle for practice for hunting. Ruger .22 is more fun to shoot though!

·
Registered
474 Posts
10/22 all the way.

If you know even a tiny bit about rifles you can mod the living crap out of a 10/22. I did a lot of personal mods at home that cost me practically no money and was shooting dime sized groups at 50yards. My cousin was as well. They vary a little bit but you can expect 1" groups at 30 to 50 yards out of the box with 10/22's. In my opinion it's the best 22 for the money you can purchase. Give me a 10/22 with a 30 round magazine and I'll even give horde of zombies a run for their money! :D

·
Strive to Survive
58 Posts
Unless you want to customize a 10-22 with all the after-market goodies, the Marlin 60 is a better value for the money. The Marlin cost less for the standard rifle, no extra mags to buy or keep up with, accuracy is as good as or some say better than a 10-22, loading the tube feed is very easy, and is one of the best selling .22lr on the market.

Again....unless you want to dress up a 10-22 to look like an AR, buy the Marlin 60.;)

·
1,794 Posts
I posted this personal experience with the Mossberg 702 on May 29 of this year.

This is a "heads up" post regarding the Mossberg 702 "Plinkster" .22 rimfire rifle. An acquaintance of mine was trying out some new purchases at my range today. He had purchased a brand new Mossberg 702 and we set to work sighting in the scope. Well, the rifle lasted 5 rounds. When we could not get the bolt to retract, we had to disassemble the rifle. When attempting to do this, we had a difficult time removing the trigger group. What had happened is the white plastic bolt buffer had shattered, the pieces of which had seized the bolt and also were preventing trigger group removal. An inspection of the buffer revealed that when it was molded, a large air bubble was cast into the plastic. It had shattered into 6 large pieces.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not necessarily dressing up with a 10/22. Most of the stuff I did was polishing internals etc... The zombie comment was just in fun. There aren't many guns out there that you can really have fun with unloading into some old watermelons with 500 rounds and only cost you 10 bucks! lol. Accurate or better than any 22 on the market with the potential to be the MOST accurate. I think it may be a bit heavier than some other 22's you can pick up and there are cheaper 22's.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
The 10-22 is the standard by which other .22's are judged. It is the most popular for good reason. If it were me thats the one I'd go with...
BAW HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Whatever....

I'd hate to bust your bubble but I'm gonna do it anyway...
10/22 the standard??? What rock are you under? A Ruger 10-22 is a DECENT .22 rifle, understand, DECENT, it's FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR from being the "standard" that all other .22 rifles are judged by. Now time for reality check #2 it's also FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR from being the effective "combat weapon" that many around here think that it is, sorry it isn't, it isn't by a long shot.....My stock Taurus pump action .22 is more accurate than any stock 10/22 any time, maybe that's why my 10/22 just sits in the safe and collects dust.....Now, go put a 10/22 up against a Kimber 22HS or a The Cooper 57M Classic that is guaranteed to shoot 1/4 inch groups at 50yds and you'll find that that 10/22 is nothing more than an average run of the mill .22 utility rifle.

Also what are you gonna do if you break your "high cap" 10/22 mag? My tube fed pump will just keep on shooting away, more accurately and more reliably I might add.......Since a .22 is FAR from being a fighting weapon, tube fed is the way to go.

Personally I think the 10/22 obsession is because we have a bunch of kids who aren't old enough to own a firearm and since someone bought them a 10/22 its the only thing they have experience with so therefore it's automatically the best.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have all three and all are great guns,the tricked out 1022s loke great but the only 22 i keep out of my safe is a 702,i live in the mountains so it is shoot all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to spend some cash and have some fun, get the Ruger 10/22 or buy someone else's already pimped out 10/22 when they get bored of it and save some cash.
I have no experience with the 702, but I recently picked up a Remington 597 and am happy with it. It easily out shoots my stock 10/22.
I also echo the previous poster's advice of staying away from cheap accessories, especially after market mags with plastic lips.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Ruger 10/22... period (And I have 22's in mossberg, remington and Winchester)
Ruger is by far the best out there

·
Banned
630 Posts
Hands down, the ruger 10-22 is the best semi-auto on the market. It will last you a lifetime....with the hicap mags and a million other accessories its simply the best for long term survival.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts