Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in your opinion is the best Red Dot Sight? I've seen EOTech and AIMpoint, but don't know about quality, I see most Military have EOTech? What are your thoughts? I've seen both and I like eotech's ring with dot better than the AIMpoint dot.

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
I like the EOtech myself. Mine has been used and abused. The only trouble I've ever had was a spring in the battery compartment became dislodged. I contacted costumer service. I received a new battery compartment free the next day via express mail. :thumb:
I have the model that takes AA batteries.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have both (Eotech 557.A223 and an Aimpoint CompM4). I honestly like them both a ton. I do like the Eotech with the 3x magnifyer on a flip out mount. Really, both Eotech and Aimpoint make amazing products. Go to a store and see which one you like more in person and go with it :)

--Wintermute

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
I have both and I like the Aimpoint better but this thread can go on and on about who likes which one better and it will probably be split down the middle.
Both are high quality pieces of glass and have been proven to stand up to the abuse it will no doubt encounter in the field. For me there are two things that are more attractive and stand out more on the Aimpoint then on the EOtech, that is battery life and the dot, the units battrery will last somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years or so. Hopes this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
have EOtech's on two m-4s & mak 90--wish i had got model that used aa bateries--has any one uses MAKO optics 3X magnifier--price is around $100 --before you say it you get what you pay for--but if serviceable,could get 3 for the price of eotech ?

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I use an Aimpoint type sight. It has the wrap-around tube which keeps the dot viable no matter what. I've heard of EOTechs washing out in very bright light so I decided to be safe and use the M-4 type Aimpoint. That's also what Gunsite recommends for red dot sights.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Batteries for the sights isnt an issue... aimpoint compm4 batteries last 8 years. Aimpoint micro and compm4 are my picks.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Just about every optics company makes a Holographic/Red Dot scope so you aren't limited to just those two.

Trijicon, C-More, Adco E-Dot, Doktor, Millet, ELCAN (Canadian Co), True-Glo, Millet and UltraDot to name a few, all have models available with different styles, sizes and colours of reticles and shapes and sizes of the sight itself.

I am very partial to the Doktor brand and have one mounted on a .416 Rigby and hasn't lost its POA after 50 rounds and banging around being carried daily and just mounted one on a Ruger 10/22 HB model that is excellent on running rabbits.

As Bennayboi said, batteries last from 5 to 8 years and most have some provision for storing a spare set within the sight.

They are also a delight for older shooters who have trouble focusing on the iron sights, which yes never need batteries but are useless if you can't see them, nicht var!

·
Tacoma WA
182 Posts
EoTech user here. Both are excellent though. I was sold on the double AA batteries. Easy to come by, easy to have some solar charger for AA's. I live in a city and anticipate close quarters trouble if the stuff hits the fan.

For a bug out location I would prefer to switch to a 4X Acog. There are various makes and models--its a solid product.

When starting out, you may notice you are faster snap shooting (not carefully aiming but putting front bead on bad guy) with a simple carry handle. This is because your peripheral vision will "index" the sight as you are bringing it up to your shooting height. With a holo sight, you can't see the sight until its directly in front of your eye. Good training will lead to a natural stance that will help this, but its never a bad idea to keep some 'ol' irons handy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a lot of them

Currently have an Eotech, ACOG, and Aimpoint. Each has its advantages. My older Aimpoint Comp M has a crappy detent on the on/off dial and sometimes turns itself back on when putting my piece away in a case. Next time I want it, it's dead. Newer ones have better battery life and maybe better on/off. Eotech is great for CQB stuff and fast acquisition of targets, but I wouldn't want to use it much past the point blank range of the gun. ACOG is great all around sight but mighty pricey, and the BDC reticle is smaller than I would like on my 3.5X. I have the red chevron dot and it's great for precision shooting or fast shooting up close. The Aimpoint is sturdy and precise. I also have a Trijicon reflex on a shorty AR, and it's great out to maybe 200. The Trijicon stuff is hard to beat, I think, because you don't have to worry about batteries or switches. It's always good to go day or night. The cheaper red dot stuff is getting more attractive all the time as the little companies steal the technology. Cheap reflex sights are a nightmare to adjust and don't hold zero too well (I've wasted enough money on them to know!), but some of the cheaper red dot tube sights are perfectly adequate for small caliber stuff. I have a Tasco on a .22 and a Sightmark reflex on an air rifle, and they both work fine. I have a Ultra Dot match on my Henry lever .22 Mag. It's mid-range price wise (around two bills), but it stacks up well against some of the pricier stuff, I think. I'd recommend starting with a cheaper sight on a .22 and seeing how you like it. I think you will. There's a reason our military is going to them; they're fast and improve marksmanship out of the box. For your battle rifle or pick up and run gun, buy the best you can afford. For me that's a Trijicon ACOG, hands down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you have 20/20 vision the eotech is awesome. But if you don't have 20/20 vision you cant see the "dot" very well. Also they are expensive.

The aimpoint is much cheaper and has a longer batter life (so I've heard).

In the end I think its personal preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Currently have an Eotech, ACOG, and Aimpoint. Each has its advantages. My older Aimpoint Comp M has a crappy detent on the on/off dial and sometimes turns itself back on when putting my piece away in a case. Next time I want it, it's dead. Newer ones have better battery life and maybe better on/off. Eotech is great for CQB stuff and fast acquisition of targets, but I wouldn't want to use it much past the point blank range of the gun. ACOG is great all around sight but mighty pricey, and the BDC reticle is smaller than I would like on my 3.5X. I have the red chevron dot and it's great for precision shooting or fast shooting up close. The Aimpoint is sturdy and precise. I also have a Trijicon reflex on a shorty AR, and it's great out to maybe 200. The Trijicon stuff is hard to beat, I think, because you don't have to worry about batteries or switches. It's always good to go day or night. The cheaper red dot stuff is getting more attractive all the time as the little companies steal the technology. The cheap reflex sights are a nightmare to adjust and don't hold zero well. I've wasted enough money on them to know, but the cheaper red dot Tube sights can be a bargain. I have a Tasco on a .22 and a Sightmark reflex on an air rifle, and they both work fine. I have a Ultra Dot match on my Henry lever .22 Mag. It's mid-range price wise (around two bills), but it stacks up well against some of the pricier stuff, I think. I'd recommend starting with a cheaper red dot tube sight (Tasco, Simmons, maybe even BSA, though I've had bad luck with their stuff) on a .22 and seeing how you like it. I think you will. There's a reason our military is going to them; they're fast and improve marksmanship out of the box. For your battle rifle or pick up and run gun, buy the best you can afford. For me that's a Trijicon ACOG, hands down. A new one I'm anxious to check out is an iTac Mini. Botach Tactical has them at $150, and they look like they might compete favorably with the Mini Trijicon, same size but four bills. The iTac is my next purchase, I think.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts