Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently packed away 5 buckets of white rice away in mylar bags with OA's. Now I'm going to start on flour, salt, sugar and maybe some seasoning, etc. Which of these need oxygen absorbers?

Thx. I'm a noob.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Sugar and salt don't need O2 absorbers, since they are natural preservatives and don't go bad.

Everything else needs them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hello. I recently packed away 5 buckets of white rice away in mylar bags with OA's. Now I'm going to start on flour, salt, sugar and maybe some seasoning, etc. Which of these need oxygen absorbers?

Thx. I'm a noob.
From what I have read, flour does not keep as long as the other items you mentioned. Most articles I've read indicate that flour only keeps for a couple of years. That's why most folks store wheat (keeps years and years). We rotate our stored flour every two years maximum. Any one else agree or disagree?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
From what I have read, flour does not keep as long as the other items you mentioned. Most articles I've read indicate that flour only keeps for a couple of years. That's why most folks store wheat (keeps years and years). We rotate our stored flour every two years maximum. Any one else agree or disagree?
BYU did a study back in 2004 that showed flour was good for at least 11 years. (the oldest sample sent in.)
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/IR&CISOPTR=91&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

I suspect it would be good for longer times but no samples were sent in to verify this. But still good at 11 years is better then what most folks believe to be true, as far as long term storage.

·
1,313 Posts
All Purpose flour seems to have a longer self life than self-rising. My last flour was packaged in January,2008 and this weekend is time to open it and try it out. In the past 3yrs max on the flour. Will see if this continues to be the norm for me and post the results.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've seen those for sale. Now something else I will feel the need to buy.
My recommendation if you use an oxygen absorber and a dessicant in the same container is that you don't put them together; put one at the bottom and one at the top so the heat from the oxygen absorber doesn't cause any chemical reaction. I've used both when sealing items like ammo......... ;-)

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,830 Posts
I've seen those for sale. Now something else I will feel the need to buy.
Some things are destroyed by moisture [iron, grains. pasta, salt, sugar, fruits, veggies, ... ]

Some things are destroyed by exposure to oxygen [oils]

I do a lot with desiccant. But that is because most of the dry-goods stuff that we store are subject to moisture problems, not oxygen problems.

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
BYU did a study back in 2004 that showed flour was good for at least 11 years. (the oldest sample sent in.)
http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/IR&CISOPTR=91&CISOBOX=1&REC=6

I suspect it would be good for longer times but no samples were sent in to verify this. But still good at 11 years is better then what most folks believe to be true, as far as long term storage.
So, based on the study of the 11 year acceptance (other than some color change of flour), what do our experts think about storing flour in mylar with O2 absorbers and expecting at least a life span of 10 + years? Mike K?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
So, based on the study of the 11 year acceptance (other than some color change of flour), what do our experts think about storing flour in mylar with O2 absorbers and expecting at least a life span of 10 + years? Mike K?

I haven't found any recent studies on Mylar so much of it seems rather conservative. First they were ~ 3 years, as specified by the military. Then they were upped to 5-7 years. Now, the food companies that sell super pails seem to have similar shelf lives of metal cans.

Here's one from Walton feed;
http://waltonfeed.com/blog/show/article_id/162

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
I haven't found any recent studies on Mylar so much of it seems rather conservative. First they were ~ 3 years, as specified by the military. Then they were upped to 5-7 years. Now, the food companies that sell super pails seem to have similar shelf lives of metal cans.

Here's one from Walton feed;
http://waltonfeed.com/blog/show/article_id/162
There's another site that say's 5-10 years. I think flour is low priced (?) and a lot eaiser to use then berries.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There's another site that say's 5-10 years. I think flour is low priced (?) and a lot eaiser to use then berries.
I agree, but I see several uses for berries once you get past the intial startup costs and learning curve. I am hoping to get there soon and have stored some wheat.

But you also have me thinking that maybe I should store some flour as "short term" insurance until I am up and going. Right now a good mill is out of my budget.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I've packed both, though I do have much more wheat as grain then as flour. Probably something like 500 lbs of grain and only 100 lbs of flour.

I don't have a great mill but do have a real cheap 'corona' knock off and something a little better for making fine flour.

Reactions: Tigers and MikeK
1 - 20 of 28 Posts