Survivalist Forum banner

which would you buy and why?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Dont Tread On Me
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at buying a new rifle and cant decide what to get. there are alot of options but im mainly concerned about having a SHTF rifle built for combat. which of the choices above would you pick and why?

EDIT: sorry forgot to list g3 clones but i will read responses so just reply if that gets your vote

·
Dont Tread On Me
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha actually i was gonna list g3 as an option but didnt feel like redoing the poll. ill see if i can add that in there.

btw i have looked mighty hard at those ptr-91's

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
haha actually i was gonna list g3 as an option but didnt feel like redoing the poll. ill see if i can add that in there.

btw i have looked mighty hard at those ptr-91's
but it didn't make your list? Pity...:headshake:

Otherwise I say M1a or AK.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
im looking at buying a new rifle and cant decide what to get. there are alot of options but im mainly concerned about having a SHTF rifle built for combat. which of the choices above would you pick and why?

you live in a dense forrest terrain so you dont need a long range weapon. and your wanting a weapon incase of the SHTF. also you need light ammo weight,low maintance and high dependablity.so with that in mind i voted for the AK. bear in mind not all AK's are alike. you have a few models worth getting like NHM-91,MAK90,MAK-91,saiga,VEPR. i would stay away from the slaped together imports that are being sold today.the good AK's have enough accuracy for your needs.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
AK anyday of the week, simple to maintain(doesn't require pampering), ammo is reasonable still, built like tanks and with the 7.62 versions you have the power to hunt as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts

EDIT: sorry forgot to list g3 clones but i will read responses so just reply if that gets your vote
Built for combat and proven in combat are different, many of the foreign manufactures products today, look good, but are built with substanard metallurgy. Then you have to look at age of parts in some battle rifles, I like the FAL, but there are many out there that use parts that are 50years old, as with many other battle rifles as well.

Look at what weapon has a good history, and that is proven with time on the battle field in the hands of 3rd world countries. Many of the newer weapons may not make the grade once the Idiots get ahold of them, it takes many years to Idiot proof a weapon system.

The AR does not need a Gas Piston to be quailfied for "built for combat" the DI system, has been working well, for a very long time, and yes the DI system is slightly dirtier, it is no way is a deal breaker.

Ammo cost is another issue, ammo is going down in price lately, but it might not stay that way.

Spare parts, we would like to think that if we make a educated and rational decsision in picking our weapon we will not have to worry about a breakdown, but prudence says we need to have any parts on hand that would be consisdered "consumables" like, springs and firing pins, magizine parts,etc. Availability of spare parts may also be an issue.

Magizine costs and availability.

·
Dont Tread On Me
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Built for combat and proven in combat are different, many of the foreign manufactures products today, look good, but are built with substanard metallurgy. Then you have to look at age of parts in some battle rifles, I like the FAL, but there are many out there that use parts that are 50years old, as with many other battle rifles as well.

Look at what weapon has a good history, and that is proven with time on the battle field in the hands of 3rd world countries. Many of the newer weapons may not make the grade once the Idiots get ahold of them, it takes many years to Idiot proof a weapon system.

The AR does not need a Gas Piston to be quailfied for "built for combat" the DI system, has been working well, for a very long time, and yes the DI system is slightly dirtier, it is no way is a deal breaker.

Ammo cost is another issue, ammo is going down in price lately, but it might not stay that way.

Spare parts, we would like to think that if we make a educated and rational decsision in picking our weapon we will not have to worry about a breakdown, but prudence says we need to have any parts on hand that would be consisdered "consumables" like, springs and firing pins, magizine parts,etc. Availability of spare parts may also be an issue.

Magizine costs and availability.
i thought about that and i am aware of the qc of FAL rifles. if i got into a fal i would be looking at one of the models produced by DS ARMS.

as for the ar-15, i own several and mainly want one of the gas piston models for the increased reliability and ease of operation and repair

·
Registered
6,445 Posts

My pick for a rifle built for combat is the M14. ( Currently in a combat zone time now, and after working with my unit, jumpin through a few hoops, etc......I was issued one. This is after using, or seeing most of the other rifles on your list in combat. ( Exceptions is the SCAR, ACR, and piston AR's, although I have used the DI M16/M4 in the past, and also have an assigned M4 at present, along with the M14.)

I think that this has already been mentioned, but some of the weapons on your list are not proven in combat as of yet. This may be important to you, or not, but just so you are aware of this.

My 1st recomendation would be to get a hold of the rifles that interest you, and handle them/fire them...prior to layin down any cash. Worry about your personal likes and dislikes of each one, so a true comparison on a personal level can be obtained. ANY of the rifles on your list would make for a decent rifle, provided that it is WELL BUILT to begin with. The perfect rifle for you may be different than someone else. No big deal, as it is your money in the end regardless.......which leads too.....

.....The second : amounts to your own budget, and to include ammo, spare mags, a parts kit, maint equipment, optics ( if you plan on them mounted to the rifle), and if this applies, a second rifle of the same model as a back up to the first.

In your case, you mentioned that you already have a few AR's........ so the piston driven AR on your list would share ammo, mags, parts, etc...... with this choice. Manual of arms would be similar, and if you shoot them well, then this does amount to a good point.
The other route is looking at something in 7.62x51mm. We have wpns chambered in both, and both compliment each other well while at work, and this is worth consideration because of this. ( Note: A well built AK is an outstanding rifle in the right hands, but in your case, I would skip it, and move on to 7.62x51mm rifles for the reason listed above.)

This is my break down of the 3 7.62x51mm rifles that I have personal experience with. I do not feel right commenting on rifles that I have never had hands on yet, so I will leave them off the list because of this reason only.

1. M14: My personal favorite, and the rifle that all other 7.62x51mm rifles are judged by. The biggest single issue with this type concerns the costs involved as compared to the others. If you have a rifle budget that is less than 1000 bucks, it might be wise to move on to something else.
IMO, this design has the most going for it, when it comes to setting one up for a specific end user, and what they like. The biggest is the choice in different stocks. Just depends on what you like, and what you shoot best with.
Other things I like about this type is where the safety is located, and how it relates to the charging handle (op-rod handle in this case), and magazine release. Out of the 3 7.62x51mm rifles on your list that I have hands on with, this design is the easiest to use with either hand. It also has the better iron sights of the bunch, and is a very "point and shoot" type of rifle, that is has plenty of inherent precision in std form to be used in the capacity of a DMR.
A well built M14 is one of the most reliable and durable rifles ever built in the 7.62x51mm class from my experience with them. Any types of terrain/climates/weather conditions, and under adverse situations where proper maint can not be completed as it should.
An LRB Arms M14SA, or M25 hand built rifle aint all that cheap, but it's one of the best for this type of design, since owning an actual M14 Service rifle is a very expensive proposition. ( I would have had one yrs ago, but my spare parts have a way of making me turn them into "spare" rifles........ so I combine them with Norinco M14S receivers, and.......the cycle continues...(LOL) Now that I'm deployed, all I can do is save up funds for another, which means that I have a good chance of going this route myself in 18 months from now.:)
I cannot say anything bad about the SAI M1A either, as all the SAI M1A rifles I own, or have fired...all worked just fine.

Note: I cant seem to post pics of some of mine, so you will have to look around at some other posts to check them out if you want. I prefer the 18.5in bbls over the std 22in, as the trade off in less MV/sight radius is neglagable as compared to the less OAL.

The other 2 rifles are the DSA FAL, and HnK 91. Both were just as reliable as the M14, but I didnt care for the ergonomics, so after my evaluation was over, I sold both of them off, and went with the one I proffered. Both cost less than the M14.

Note: I have no hands on with a PTR, but if it is a product improved HK91, it would be a good place to start, simply because it costs less than the FAL...to include the mags. I prefer the G3 over the Fal in the role of a DMR.

Good luck, and let us know what you go with in the end:thumb:

EDIT:

11B

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a Greek made H&K 91 with the required AMERICAN parts to remove the thumbhole stock.
It is a great weapon, however the G3 series of firearms are HEAVY.
Unless you are built like Arnold S, I really wouldnt want to hump one very far.

I am really interested by the AR10 type weapons. They have to be a good 2 pounds lighter than the G3.

If it wasnt for the cost of ammo, the French 49/56 rifles would be more interesting.
Its lite and hand while shooting a fairly good round.

·
They Drew First Blood
68 Posts
I have a Greek made H&K 91 with the required AMERICAN parts to remove the thumbhole stock.
It is a great weapon, however the G3 series of firearms are HEAVY.
Unless you are built like Arnold S, I really wouldnt want to hump one very far.
I definitely wouldn't mind having Ahnuld's build from back in the day! On a side note, he briefly wields an HK91 in the beginning of Commando. "Chenny!"

As far as this thread goes, I heavily researched all the battle rifle options, and decided to go with the PTR91.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As far as this thread goes, I heavily researched all the battle rifle options, and decided to go with the PTR91.
Good starting place for cheap magazines.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG304-36.html

They are out at the moment, but it is a good buy.

If you havnt visited www.hkpro.com
It has a lot of good HK information.
There are other forums also.
If you need them, send me a PM.

Best wishes with the new rifle. The new PTRs look very nice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts