Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need recommendations for a multitool for general use like hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I’ve seen a few offered, but which one is the sturdiest?

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I think you are going to get all sorts of answers here. There isnt going to be a consensus as to which is "sturdiest" because everyone is going to have a story on how ther X-tool broke during XYZ. The fact is that every multitool company is going to have its lemons tossed out there. I would suggest seeing what you WANT out of a multi-tool and go from there. Most of the major brands such as Leatherman, gerber, Victorinox etc will have good and sturdy tools. Just dont get the "low end" stuff. Look to spend at least 80$ or more for one that will last. The higher priced ones are generally more soild than the lower cost stuff (again generally not always).

For example, if a knife is more important for your purposes, go for a Leatherman Charge Ti. It has a great steel blade that is made of CM 154. And if you know knives, thats some hot stuff. Now if you are going to use pliers more, Gerber makes some really quick opening pliers, but knife is not so good.

Percision tool? portability? Leatherman Juice series is pretty good.
And general "do it all" but none great, SAK.

Overall you have to see how much you want out of your tool in order to make a good choice. There are pleny out there. But you will get 15 different answers saying one is the best and 15 stories of how those tools malfunctioned etc.

Also what is your price range?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just yesterday I was comparing multitools and I found a useful website. link This website let you do side by side comparisons of most of the major brands and models of multitools. The chart listed out what features are on each of the models. After determing what features I wanted I could easily narrow down my choices.

I personally have an older leatherman and an older gerber tool. I have broken off a piece of the saw from the gerber. The leatherman hasn't had much use as it was a recent gift.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i have an early leatherman i bought in 1996. it just wont die.

i predict the advice will amount to "buy the most expensive one there is, just like me"

·
Preparation job #1
443 Posts
Love my Gerbers, Have one in each glove box and never leave home without one on my belt.used to use leatherman but they didnt hold up to daily use on the ranch.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i was given a gerber in 1997. it was probly thier cheapest offering, but man what a POS. the blades would flop out and stick in your hands. it may have been a very early model, im sure they are just as good as anything today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I researched and im thinkin about pickin up the leatherman charge myself...Pretty pricy tho but i hear all good things about it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I use an Appalachian Trail, which I bought years ago at Lowes.
My Advice when looking for a multitool is look at the construction, not the name. I look at how it is put together. I want to be able to adjust the tension easily, as well as remove and replace broken components. Riveted tools seem worthless to me sense you can not perform any of these tasks.
Gerber, Leatherman, and a number of less expensive multitools are made exactly the same, and in many cases their components are made by the same people.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I forgot to mention Kobalt knives which have a lifetime hassle free guarantee. You can go in periodically and just trade them in for new ones. Whats even better you don't have to get the same style each time, sense they will work it as a return, give you your money back, and you get to go shopping for a knife again.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
seems this is a weekly subject. this, and best survival rifle, knife, and BOB.
use the search feature. it works! :thumb:

·
Know more, carry less
1,062 Posts
I am pleased with my core, but will be moving up to a surge. I like the scissors. I had one on my fuse, but wanted a bigger badder leatherman. I thought the core had one, but it didn't.
The surge is good and if i remember correctly it has the heavy duty Fiskar scissors which are a step up from those found on the Charge. I have the Charge and think it is great.

Yes, I know it's expensive---*cough* *Trixie* *cough* But it does have the 154cm blade which is nice and it is very sturdy. If you can get it on sale you won't regret it. Mine has accompanied me to various accidents and emergencies and has been super reliable.

You may also want to look at the SOG Powerlock:

http://sogknives.com/store/S61.html

It is also a great multitool. It has better pliers but a less functional blade as it has a seterated and plain edge combo where as the Leatherman has plain and serrated.

Paul.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
i have 2 leatherman wave's, and one surge. i like both models, depending on the use i have in mind.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a whole slew of Leatherman tools and a SOG pocket clip tool as well. I guess my favorite is the Pulse, Core and Charge Ti, the latter of which seems to be the best they have ever made.

Swiss Army knife is pretty good as well but it doesn't have pliers.

However, in my own experience, most of the multi-tools really suck for any specific chore which I why I have a tool box in my car, truck, boat and plane.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Yeah, decide on what tools you think you'll require. I have more multitools than I need but I do like having one around:thumb:

I like the standard needle nose pliers (Gerber, Leatherman, SOG)...but there are some like the Leatherman Crunch that I like.

I don't care too much for the knife blade as I always have a folder or fixed blade on me.

I do like the wire cutters/strippers; file, saw, awl, can-opener/bottle opener and the slotted and philips screwdriver heads. Scissors are handy as well.

My current favorite is the Victorniox Spirit.

ROCK6

·
Registered
384 Posts
Anything but a leatherman they are good tools but he is anti-gun so I will not spend a dime on his stuff I went so far as to by my friends who owned them new ones from another company so they would throw his out as I did mine

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got a Leatherman Charge TTi and I really like it except for two things. The tools inside the handle are incredibly difficult to open. I've been using a pick of some kind to get them out. AND the 'upgraded' S30V blade has sustained some pretty good sized chips along the length of the edge. I can still get it sharp and it holds an edge well but I don't need two serrated blades on my multi-tool. I think I'm going to buy a Spirit X for EDC and leave the Charge in my truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts